Author Topic: Determinng caliber of reloading dies.  (Read 422 times)

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Determinng caliber of reloading dies.
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:22:02 AM »
I picked up a number of True Line Junior dies in a purchase, but there is no caliber stamped on them. Anyone know of a source to help I.D. them other than sending them to Lyman? Thanks.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Determinng caliber of reloading dies.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 03:22:14 AM »
Maybe you could make a chamber cast by stuffing something like play-dough or modeling clay in there.   I would disassemble the die and lube it up with pam or something similar.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:21:29 AM »
1.  Google "Tru Line Jr." and read through the plethora of documents and threads in discussion forums there.

2.  Log on to http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?9-Molds-Maintenance-and-Design and post a description and photographs then wait for assistance.

3.  Send to Lyman...

Offline gary0529

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »
Perhaps it is just my scientific background but i like a good mystery.
Here is how I would at least start.
1. Measure the expander ball and see what nominal caliber you have. ie, 22, 30 45, etc.
2. Measure the internal diameter of the base of the size die-sit down with a reload manual and match up external case diameter with caliber.
This will at least get you started in a family of cartridges.
Once there, dig out a pile of fired brass and lube the beejeezus out of it and GENTLY  see how far things proceed-probably would do this without an expander ball initially so as to easily knock out the case in case things get a bit sticky.

OR--buy or borrow some Cerrosafe and just do a casting but where is the fun in that!

Cheers,

Gary

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 01:25:30 AM »
Wax or sulfur may be cheaper and easier than cerrosafe after all your not looking for precision, just good enough to figure out what you got.  Be ware of mechanical lock up if your casting.  Unlike a chamber, you have threads and ledges that may cause a hangup.  another reason to consider wax, it doesn't take as much heat to get it back out if you mess up.

Offline greenrivers

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 01:56:06 AM »
Some good ideas guys. Thanks. I may have to resort to casting them. I did send and email to Lyman yesterday for help in identifying them. Hope they can. I bought one of their presses back in the late sixties, or early seventies to load my .32 Special and 30/40 Craig and am still using it along with others. I now leave it set up for loading a small number of .38 specials for my Colt open top conversion. I've kept the Winchester .32, wish I had the Craig!