Author Topic: handi .223  (Read 991 times)

Offline josebd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
handi .223
« on: February 18, 2004, 02:45:42 PM »
yesterday i set up my bench and shot at some targets,did not group well,some 2 inches or worse.so today i cleaned the barrel,spent extra time on it,which i hanen't been, my fault. shot about 6 times to season in the barrel, then the next 3 at 100 yards i could cover with a dime easy!the load was 50 grain sp hornady,cci 450 primer,bl-c2, 26.2 grains. for now on im going to do a better job on cleaning the barrel!!

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
handi .223
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 03:00:55 PM »
Is that a new barrel or old.   The reason I ask is these barrels can take 200 or more shots before they are broken in and settle down.   That 3 shot, dime size group sounds real good to me, thatÂ’s why I was wondering if it was an older barrel.   If you are getting 3 shot, dime size groups from a new barrel you definitely have a good one.

Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline jeff223

handi .223
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 03:16:05 PM »
it sounds like you have a good one there.it should get even better the more you shoot it.shoot it offen and clean it offen,this will help smooth out the bore.

Offline 223Shooter

• Avid Poster
handi .223
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 03:29:34 PM »
josebd...I was just wondering...what what the oal on those Hornaday 50gr's ?

Offline josebd

• Contributor
handi .223
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 03:34:19 PM »
i bought it used,i think it was manufactured in 2000,the c.o.l. was 2.200 the scope is a simmons 44 mag series 3.8-12x44 with the smart reticle

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
handi .223
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 04:07:53 PM »
josebd,
  It sounds like you found yourself a shooter. Have you given' any thought to the postal match? Your gettin' he groups!
Don

Offline josebd

• Contributor
handi .223
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 04:23:04 PM »
whats the postal match?

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
handi .223
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 04:36:40 PM »
Quote from: josebd
whats the postal match?

josebd,
  Take a look at the posting titled,"Spring Postal Match". I bumped it up.
Don

Offline josebd

• Contributor
handi .223
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 02:14:41 PM »
well today i tried some 55 v-max,27.4 bl-c2,did not group good at all, im gonna drop it down some and see what happens,i think its just to much for it.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
handi .223
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 02:41:08 PM »
josebd,
  I haven't given the 55gr bullets a try yet. I want to get some Nosler 55 gr and try them. I have had pretty good results using 53 gr Sierras. I think the biggest thing holding me back, was a weak scope. I picked up a new scope today, and hope to shoot tomorrow. I had poor results with the 40 gr. V-MAX, but in all honesty I haven't really rung out that load. My loading bench is about 30' from where I shoot, so it makes it easy to load a few then try them. It also gives the barrel a chance to cool while I'm loading. I had bought some Varget powder, and loaded some of the 53 gr. bullets at various powder charges, so they're lined up for tomorrows shooting. The powder I was using was Benchmark. I want to get some BLC-2 also. These three powders work so well in so many calibers, I think they'll be on my don't run out of list.
Don

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
handi .223
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 02:49:32 PM »
Josebd, here's a hot link to the postal match string.  Check it out.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=26084

I've tried the 55 grain Nosler BT's in my ultra with less than stellar results.  For the time being I've settled on the Hornady 50 grain V Max moly coated bullet, and 27.5 grains of Varget.  That's a max load so back it off if you try it.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
handi .223
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 03:19:25 PM »
Hey WL scot ; What kind of groups you getting with 50 gr. molys? I've got a new box that I've never tried.  Also how often do you clean the barrel?
Every time I clean my barrel it takes about 10 shots before it starts shooting good again.( .55") at 100 . I've got about 50 rds. through it now  and I'm still shooting good.
Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
handi .223
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2004, 03:24:39 PM »
Wlscott,
  I'm not sure, never having used moly bullets before, how do you handle cleaning the barrel after shooting moly bullets? I don't know whether to let the moly buildup in the barrel, or clean it out after shooting.
Don

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
handi .223
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2004, 04:14:50 PM »
Digger, I can get a half inch if I do my part with these bullets.  

As far as cleaning goes (get ready :) )

First, get ALL of the copper out of your bore before you start shooting moly coated bullets.

It usually takes ten to fifteen rounds for my gun to settle in before the groups start to tighten up.  Some have reported as many as 20 to 25 rounds necessary to "season the bore".

My .223 is old enough, and the bore is "broken in" enough that even when I was shooting uncoated bullets, I may not clean it for 50 to 75 rounds.  Now, I can usually go a hundred or more before I start seeing groups accuracy suffer.

Hunting coyotes all season long is definately not a problem.

In the summer, when I get to shooting prairie dogs, I may clean the bore after a hundred rounds.  But, I pretty much just punch the tube with some Hoppes No 9 a couple of times, then punch it dry.  I will get a VERY SMALL amount of copper fouling out, a bunch of powder fouling, then start to see a greyish material on the patch.  That's the moly coming off on the patch.  I usually stop right there.

If I want to get it completely clean (if for instance I want to shoot some non coated bullets in it), I use Hoppes, and scrub it with a bronze bristle brush.  When the patches come out clean, I switch to Butches Bore shine and a brush.  I keep at this until the patches come out clean.  I'll store it with Breakfree CLP in the bore afterwards.  

As far as moly building up in the bore:  I really don't know if this is a problem.  Doesn't seem to be for my particular gun.  'Course, I've switched back and forth enough that I've completely cleaned my gun several times to get it all out also.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline josebd

• Contributor
handi .223
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2004, 08:46:07 AM »
so is it because after i cleaned the barrel its not going to be accurate?is it gonna take a few rounds for it to get back the accuracy?is the load to much for it?

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
handi .223
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2004, 05:21:26 PM »
Wlscott,
  I  thought you might tell me something like that. The moly is very similar to graphite. It will buildup to the point of wear. A bullet will wear any excess out of the barrel, allowing a certain amout of buildup to remain. The last time I cleaned my U V I could see the moly coming out after I started using oil in the barrel. It took a long time and many tries to get it out. Now if I'm going to use the moly bullets, I guess I should stay with them, or drop them altogether.
Don