Author Topic: went to jays sporting goods today  (Read 677 times)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
went to jays sporting goods today
« on: March 26, 2013, 12:51:33 PM »
For you that dont know jays its one of the biggest sporting goods stores in Mich. Theres actually two locations. I was down state for other reasons today and stopped by hopping for some primers. They have a shelf system about 30 feet long with 3 shelves and there was exactly one brick of  fed match small pistol mag primers and 4 single packs of the same. Rest of the shelf bare. They did have some powder though and i got 3lbs of re19 and havent been able to find that anywhere so it ended up being worth the trip. Bottom line is usually when jays is out the world is out!
blue lives matter

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: went to jays sporting goods today
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 01:42:27 PM »
I'm guessing my situation is not very common, but I get as much of my reloading components that I can from a small one man shop.  He's also licensed as a manufacturer (and sells his loaded ammo).  I bought several thousand primers from him in Jan. and a couple pounds of powder.  His supply has been semi steady (I try to stop in every week or two) but he has limited 1 pound of powder and 1000 primers per person per day.

The strange thing is he's in southern IN but he's been driving to Iowa to get the powder and primers, they're not shipped.  I don't know how he gets the stuff when no one else has been able to.  I don't know if he has an inside track or gets preference since he is a manufacturer.

Bullets are another issue all together.  I've been trying for a couple months to get a box or two of pistol bullets he sells from a local castor and he's always out.  He'll get 30-40 thousand (500 box) and they'll be gone in two days.

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 02:17:56 PM »
Academy receive a load of loaded ammo today.  All except .22 and popular pistol cals.  Lacked in the rifle cals. some what......lots of atypical cals.  Local gun shop received some primers and powders for the first time in months.....prices not too bad.

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 02:45:37 PM »
I was at Wal-Mart today and I was checking out their ammo supply.  A woman in a motorized cart came in and almost ran me over.  She then procecedes to shout questions about ammo to the young man who had been helping me.  As I am not desperate for ammo, I backed off.  Every time she asked about a caliber and was told there was none.....she just muttered "they should hang the bast$%ds".

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 01:54:09 AM »
probably my luck is that they will be stocked right up tommarow.
Academy receive a load of loaded ammo today.  All except .22 and popular pistol cals.  Lacked in the rifle cals. some what......lots of atypical cals.  Local gun shop received some primers and powders for the first time in months.....prices not too bad.
blue lives matter

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 04:02:12 PM »
I was there Saturday Lloyd and it wasn't restocked for primers still.  They had Large Pistol, but I already have a couple extra bricks of those.  Small rifle, Small pistol are pretty rare.  There was some magnum small pistol only.
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 05:18:49 PM »
Last Saturday I was in Greensboro NC and went to Gander Mountain. I literally have more just out on my bench, that needs to be put up, than they had on their shelves. That applies to primers, powder and even dies.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.