Author Topic: Gun show, what to look for?  (Read 849 times)

Offline johnnybravoo77

• Trade Count: (0)
Gun show, what to look for?
« on: January 05, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »
Off to the local gun show tomorrow. I'm still having trouble with serial number prefixs and stuff, I want an sb2 frame, and for what ever reason the faqs seem to confuse me even more. Any quick help?

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
Re: Gun show, what to look for?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 06:16:37 PM »
Serial numbers don't have any thing to do with SB2 identification except for the newer ones and they all are CBA from 2008 and up. Google H&R accessory frame program there's info and pics in there. With the buttstock removed the SB2 will be skeletonized (has holes) where SB1's are solid. With buttstock on there is no way of ID'ing them(other than the CBA ones) except getting H&R factory to identify them from the serial number.
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline johnnybravoo77

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 06:34:39 PM »
Thank You! I think I'll try and stick with a newer model. Prices at these shows are usually way high, but I hope to find something to tinker with.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 06:51:06 PM »
H&Rs policy is SB2 frames made 2000 and later can be fitted with any centerfire rifle barrel they offer, the same can't be said for earlier frames which they'll only fit shotgun(no 10ga or 12ga USH), 357 and 44 mag barrels.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 04:26:41 AM »
One thing you can check easily is the firing pin diameter; if its a fat shotgun type you should pass it up, a rifle size doesnt guarantee its an SB-2 but it sure would be less likely to cause issues for any rifle barrel you would fit to it.
Also, earlier models did not have a transfer bar and did have a lower profile hammer spur. The old Shikari 44Mag and 45-70 or the other CF riles were not SB-2 frames but ARE desirable.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 04:39:15 AM »
I sure hope you can find better deals than what I could at a local gun show!  Used stuff going for triple what it's worth, NEW.

Offline Doc Fillem

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 04:53:13 AM »
I went to a gunshow yesterday and saw a few Handi's, all were priced at what you can get a new one for. Unless it's something they don't make any more, buy a new one.
I have more guns than I need, but not as many as I want.

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 05:03:01 AM »
Better yet buy one from one of your friends here in the classifieds.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Offline johnnybravoo77

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 05:13:10 AM »
Better yet buy one from one of your friends here in the classifieds.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Thats probably what will happen. I know prices get crazy at these shows, but I still like to poke around. Might take the the old Savage 220 and see if I can get any offers.

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 02:20:54 AM »
As far as the ones I've been to recently, the main thing to look for is the "Exit Door"
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline chamois1

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 02:37:15 AM »
The best thing to watch for a gun shows is what people bring in to sell or trade. If they find something they want at a table they may be willing to make you a good deal on what they brought in.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 07:24:27 AM »
I've always bought new ones, until they quite making ejectors.  My last two, a 30-06 Ultra Comp, and a 25-06 Standard Handi with ejectors, were bought used.  I looked at three Ultras yesterday, 2 .223s and a 45-70.  I was pointing out things to a customer and a clerk at Sportsman's.  I told them right up front why I will no longer buy one then showed them how the extractors worked.  I then asked them to imagine your hunting today.  With the temps down to 14 degs your fingers will be cold.  You can not remove an empty with gloves on, and with cold fingers you can not remove easily the spent case.  They both agreed, and the customer went back to a bolt gun and bought a Savage.

The Handi is no longer a true hunting gun.  It's a moderate target gun.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 07:40:09 AM »
I've always bought new ones, until they quite making ejectors.  My last two, a 30-06 Ultra Comp, and a 25-06 Standard Handi with ejectors, were bought used.  I looked at three Ultras yesterday, 2 .223s and a 45-70.  I was pointing out things to a customer and a clerk at Sportsman's.  I told them right up front why I will no longer buy one then showed them how the extractors worked.  I then asked them to imagine your hunting today.  With the temps down to 14 degs your fingers will be cold.  You can not remove an empty with gloves on, and with cold fingers you can not remove easily the spent case.  They both agreed, and the customer went back to a bolt gun and bought a Savage.

The Handi is no longer a true hunting gun.  It's a moderate target gun.
Sourdough, with a little polish some of these extractor barrels will let an empty fall out quickly if you flip the gun ala cowboy action style :) ...myself if i was in the country you live in :o a Remmy pump '06 or Whale'm would be my choice.. ;)
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(