Author Topic: Forend treatment  (Read 730 times)

Offline tiswell

• Trade Count: (0)
Forend treatment
« on: March 19, 2013, 07:14:44 AM »
     I have had the bug to get an H+R for a while and recently did so. From what I have read these rifles often benefit from some treatment in the forend area. While I am waiting for the groundhogs to fully wake up here, I plan to address the forends on two of the barrels that I have (third one is a shotgun). I can't help but think that if you have a dedicated forend for each barrel and it is bedded with a stainless pillar, that it would be more consistent than an off center flat head screw in wood. I plan to bed this in Devcon Steel Bed (that I have on hand) using surgical rubber tubing to pull the forend towards the action while it hardens. I also see references of o rings, neoprene washers, insulation foam etc., for addressing this. Is the pillar with a hard bedding compound the way to go, or is there something better?

Thanks, Tiswell

Offline ousooners1baby

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • If you got a PC question, just ask!
Re: Forend treatment
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:24:35 AM »
I have read all of the posts about the forends and I have not had to "fix" any of mine to get it to shoot good! Maybe it would shoot better if I did. I guess everyone else's opinion could differ. Giving you plenty of deducing to do.
Thanks, Jer

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:25:57 AM »
Have you reviewed the FAQ's?, there have been numerous approaches to this through time and you are well advised to visit there, and often.
For my part, I have not done extensive forearm work, nor do I intend to (I subscribe to the KISS Principle if at all possible now and the 'dont fix it if it ain't broke' school of thought). I have done the basic '0-Ring' trick and a consistent screw tension, and since I have only one swap barrel set-up mine are dedicated forearms. Fact is that they shoot to my satisfaction without a lot of diddling. Now I might not be the most demanding, or as demanding as you, but mine only have to work for me.......
And dont believe all the idle chatter about these having 'issues'. We'all like 'em, for a reason.
Give yours a good go as is and see what ya got!  ;D
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 04:21:05 PM »
+1 on not needing any work.  Mine have all shot great from the first shot, as long as I do my part!

BW

Offline jammer308

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »
I've had 2 ultra sluggers in 20 gauge, 2 nef handi's in 243, a 3006 and a 410/22 combo... they all shot well without treatment. well enough for this average guy to look good anyway. there are a lot better shooters out there than me, better rifles than the handi when it comes to accuracy as well. but they are just fine for what they are. my good friend has a handi in 223 and that is the rifle that got me into liking them. we shoot from an old downed oak tree at the farm at 126 yards or so to the back stop. while I do very well myself, i'm getting sick of watching him put holes in dimes on the target. not kiddin... he doesn't even like the 223. his wife gave it to him for a present one Christmas and that's why he wont sell it to me. damn.... chris

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 04:27:12 AM »
Get him a caliber he wants and put his stocks & scope on it, she'll never know  ::) ......
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 05:05:03 AM »
     I have had the bug to get an H+R for a while and recently did so. From what I have read these rifles often benefit from some treatment in the forend area. While I am waiting for the groundhogs to fully wake up here, I plan to address the forends on two of the barrels that I have (third one is a shotgun). I can't help but think that if you have a dedicated forend for each barrel and it is bedded with a stainless pillar, that it would be more consistent than an off center flat head screw in wood. I plan to bed this in Devcon Steel Bed (that I have on hand) using surgical rubber tubing to pull the forend towards the action while it hardens. I also see references of o rings, neoprene washers, insulation foam etc., for addressing this. Is the pillar with a hard bedding compound the way to go, or is there something better?

Thanks, Tiswell

I think that your bedded idea will be more consistent that an off center flat head screw, and using the surgical tubbing to pull the forend back to the reciever while the bedding compound sets has a lot of merit. Not to mention that it will be an enjoyable project.  One of the factors that draws a lot of us to these rifles is their "tinkerabilty".   :D   Let us know how it works out.   :)
"skin that 'en out and I'll get ye nother"

Offline tiswell

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 05:57:34 AM »
     Thanks for sharing the info and personal experiences. I am going to shoot the slug barrel and the .223 and get a base line. I measured everything last night to make the pillars. Hopefully the wind will lay down soon so I can shoot and trust the results.

Thanks, Tiswell

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 06:07:41 AM »
I suggest you dont shoot the slug barrel off the bench, but offhand in field positions. The change in recoil impulse bench to offhand will likely affect your POI considerably. Not to say that the bench isnt useful for a slug gun; it will most likely be what you need to find which slugs it really likes (but you probably wont like the experience and can develop a nasty flinch).
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 07:19:25 AM »
I would never have a preconceived idea what will shoot best. First try it before you do any thing. You may find that your rifle does not need any thing to shoot well. I have a 44 mag that I think shoots as well as it can, and I did not do any thing to it. It is a Frankenstein gun. Frame form one source, barrel from another and fore end and stock from another gun. The barrel is 35 years newer than the frame. On the other hand, my best shooting gun has a fully bedded fore end that is pillar bedded and that fits loosely to the frame (it wobbles when open, but locks up tight when shut).  So try it before you do any thing.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »
I like to have all of my forends glass and pillar bedded. I feel it provides the absolute most consistency. I always know how much to tighten the screw and I don't have to search for fallen o-rings whenever I change barrels.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine