Author Topic: .358 Winchester Short Neck  (Read 10554 times)

Offline jackpine

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: .358 Winchester Short Neck
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2012, 05:49:52 PM »
Thanks Steve,

Those kind of experiences would probably not have happened if there was a feeling at the "top" that these rounds were not in line with what they viewed as the intent of the law.

I think it is time to start looking for a rifle!

Jackpine

Offline woody1071

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2013, 06:45:36 AM »
I sent a Handi .357 mag barrel to Wayne York @ Oregunsmithing to have him re-chamber it for .358.  I just got it back 2 days ago and had an opportunity to shoot it with .358 Hornady 200 gr FTX yesterday for about 15 minutes.  I got it adjusted in fairly close in four shots. This was not off a rest but with just my fore-end supported. No bag, no rest, no bench.  I am really happy with it so far. I didn't have much time to spend with it yesterday but I was itching to shoot it.  The extractor works really well too. 

I can't wait to trim some cases to 1.8 and make some loads up and shoot!  I don't have a chronograph or know anyone that does so I won't be able to give the kind of results that Steve has. But I will let you guys know how it groups and what kind of range I have with it.  It will probably be a couple of weeks before I can spend a lot of time with it.

Just thought I would check in and let you guys know that someone else is going to give this a go!

Offline hosskartright

• Trade Count: (1)
  • '' Our Freedom was not won with Registered Guns ''
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2013, 06:10:23 AM »
I can also chime in on the subject , a co it talked to and showed him this short neck and a regular unaltered .358 case , i asked him if ever seen on of these yet and i ask is this OK legal
co says as long as it's 1.8 '' Long it's legal , as long as a person makes an attempt to cut it down to 1.8'' no problem ........ Good Luck !!

Offline Imeagher

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2013, 10:55:04 AM »
Alot of good info in this thread, anyone else gave it a shot? Results? Loads?