Author Topic: Navy Arms 1858 Remington replica  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Whizzz

• Trade Count: (0)
Navy Arms 1858 Remington replica
« on: February 15, 2004, 10:56:27 PM »
I am new to cap and ball revolvers and am considering acquiring a New Model Army Remington 1858 replica made by Navy Arms. I have not come across any reference to Navy Arms in the posts on the forum...there are mainly references to Pietta, Uberti etc. Does anyone have any idea about the quality in comparison to the Pieta or Uberti replica's. Would the Navy Arms replica be able to accommodate a Kirst Converter or any other converter?

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 12:20:22 AM »
Navy Arms is an importer. Their 58 will either be made by Uberti or Pietta. Either one will be a very good gun and they can both be fitted with Kirst cylinders. (both Kirst and R&D make conversion cylinders for both brands)
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Good time Charlie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 12:27:14 AM »
Either can be fitted with a converter cylinder if it is a steel frame. No brass frames!
                                    Charlie

Offline Whizzz

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 02:44:45 AM »
Thanks for the info greatly appreciate it. Cuts Crooked do know if there would be any distinguishing marks on the gun to tell me if it is Uberti or Pietta?

It is a really great looking mint condition steel frame 1858. It does not have the original walnut stocks though, rather badly made local (African)wood stocks. I assume it would be possible to order walnut stocks directly from Uberti or Pietta?

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 04:27:33 AM »
If it's a Pietta it will be stamped on the barrel on the right side (looking from the rear) with the stamp FFLPIETTA

I just went down to the shop and looked, my most recent  58 Remington acquisition came in a Navy Arms box.

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
1858 Remington
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 05:05:11 AM »
Wizz;

Checkout the offering from Cabelas.  It will most likely be a Pietta, but I have yet to be dissatisfied with any revolver from Cabelas.  My Pietta is a great shooter, very tight and accurate.  I can attest to another Pietta Remington that shoots 2 to 2.5 inch groups at 25 yards all day long as well.  You will spend a little less with Cabelas.  

www.cabelas.com

Dan C

Offline Whizzz

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 09:16:22 PM »
The 58 has Navy Arms stamped on the uppermost facet of the octagonal barrel...no reference to Pietta or Uberti anywhere on the weapon. Thanks for the trouble Cuts Crooked appreciate it.

Checked out Cabelas seems like a really together place, I will have to find out the legalities etc of getting one of those baby's to my neck of the woods. thanks Dan

Any thoughts on the "autheticity", "originality" of the so called New Army Police .36 with 6 1/2 inch barrel? Any experience with the handling of the .36 vs .44? I was quite interested to note the relative weights of the .36 vs .44....the .36 is slightly heavier than the 8 inch .44!?

Thanks for the great forum guys.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 06:01:06 AM »
If it doesn't have the FLLPietta stamp on the barrel, it's probably one of their Uberti purchases. Regardless, I know you'll be very happy with it! Both companies make fine guns for the money! :grin:

Donno about your area concerning purchasing, hope it's not a hassle like it is in some states here in the U.S.

I can order a C&B revolver through the mail and have it delivered directly my house. Some states won't allow them to be sold except through gun stores and with a full background check first  :(

Offline Flint

Remington
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 09:12:24 AM »
All the recent REmingtons from Navy Arms are by Pietta.  If Pietta is not on the barrel, it might be an Uberti.  Uberti stamps their name on the bottom of the barrel under the loading lever.  Other mark by Uberti is a little logo that looks like a fan or ship's propeller.  Yes, R&D and Kirst both make the conversion for the gun.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Vgaby

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 10:15:18 AM »
Whizzz,

Here is the stamp in my Remington are by Pietta:
Hungarian Muzzloading Association  #0048
First Warthog of Hungary
If you make a hole, make a big one !

Offline Whizzz

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 07:49:42 PM »
Thanks again for info.

I must then assume it is an Uberti as there are no marks refering to Pietta...I will check under the loading lever for any Uberti markings when I can get down to my dealer.

There is also a Pietta Navy in .36 cal....cylinder has seen some wear otherwise in good nick and real cheap. Any thoughts on this gun or calibre?

Offline Flint

Pietta
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 08:04:03 PM »
If the Pietta Navy price is right and it's good mechanically, it is a good gun for the money as long as it's straight.  Some of the older Piettas were pretty rough.  Both Kirst and R&D make 38 LC cylinders for it, which, because of the 375 bore, must use hollow base bullets.  I shoot 148 gr hollowbase wadcutters in 38 Special cases with 3.2 gr of Bullseye, 231 or Titegroup and they are as accurate from the 375 bore as they are from a real 38 (357).
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Whizzz

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 01:13:48 AM »
Sorry Flint
I checked out the .36 58 again today and it is a Uberti and not a Pietta, sorry my mistake.  A. Uberti clearly stamped on the top of the barrel. I think that probably makes a stronger case in her favour. I do not have any indication of how old the weapon is.

I will be taking her out for a test shoot next week, before I decide to purchase.

The .44  Navy Arms has 'made in italy' stamped below the loading lever and the little logo that looks like fan or ship's propeller. So an Uberti it is?

Cuts we have 'hassle' with a Capital H over here when it comes to lisencing and owning a weapon. Gun has to be bought through a dealer, a  full background check and a competency certificate (gun handling course has to be completed successfully).