Author Topic: Got the new wood for my 50-140  (Read 690 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Got the new wood for my 50-140
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:51:20 AM »
It arrived yesterday!   ;D  Looks like nice straight grained walnut.  It should be perfect for a heavy recoiling rifle.

The buttstock is left handed on this set.  Remember I still have the right handed one I bought for the 45-120.  Maybe if I get some vision back in my right eye...  :-\

One thing I need for the fore end though.  I want to make it detachable using a latch like was found on old double barrel shotguns.  Has anyone got a lead on where one might be found?   ???
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Got the new wood for my 50-140
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:19:56 PM »
Richard,

I bought one from Brownells for a FOX double I'm repairing for a friend.  You would have to fab the barrel stud, but it's just a notch...could do it with a file or a Dremel.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:27:16 PM »
are you referring to the lever locking ones, or the spring loaded snap on ones?

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 05:59:35 AM »
can't wait for the pics. 8)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 08:39:49 AM »
pics might ba awhile Tom.  I've got a bunch of projects in the works and for the last few I've been spending most of my time on that longrifle build over on the Traditional ML forum.   :-\   At least that will hone my stock carving skilld some!  But I do hope to have it done by next deer season!

Nanny, I was thinking of the lever style.  I though it would look good inlet into the bottom of the forearm.   ;D

I'm gonna check Brownell's now Ben!  Thanx!   :)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 07:57:45 AM »
Couple a things...  :-\

Ben, do you have a URL for those forearm levers?  I couldn't find any on Brownell's site.   :(

Next!  When I was putting the synthetic forearm on my "all weather" 30-06, I noticed that the spacer was moulded in as part of the forearm.  This got me to thinking....   ::)

How about I shape the rear of the walnut forarm to conform to the front of the receiver, and do away with the spacer?   ???  I could contour a thin piece of steel or brass to protect and strengthen the rear end of the forearm...  :-\

We're just talkin looks here...  ;)  Heck!  If I could I'd square off the front of the receiver and forge a tang for the back!   ;D ;D

...  ??? ...  :-\  uh oh...  :'(
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 08:18:13 AM »
Now Richard, tisk, tisk....
You know forging is illegal !
I think if you give your wood to action idea a go (make it wood for now and do the metal plate only if needed?) that the worst that can happen is you might have to bob it and install the spacer 'maybe someday'?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974