Author Topic: Forend/ spacer  (Read 495 times)

Offline MTNRGR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Forend/ spacer
« on: March 28, 2013, 03:31:42 PM »
Took my .223 apart and cleaned as recommended in "handi's 101", the forend was machined terribly and binding on the barrel.  As recommended by petemi or cw, sorry can't remember who, I spent an hour sanding it. The spacer is so crooked I need to remount it, do they make an aluminum one or some other after market one. In the pic the right side from between the 2 screws that is darker is flush, the left side that is light isn't.

I cant get pics the right way,  sorry.
-Jason

"All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us this wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream".                      Thomas K. Whipple

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Forend/ spacer
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 04:02:06 PM »
Toth is the only source for a metal spacer.

Tim

http://www.tothtool.com/Handi-Rifle-Steel-Spacer_p_23.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MTNRGR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 04:11:29 PM »
Thanks Tim,
That pic is after after sanding and its still that offset.
-Jason

"All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us this wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream".                      Thomas K. Whipple

Offline Darryle

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »
Is there any fitting required for the metal spacer?

I guess who ever had mine, must have been a lurker or a member here, it barely touches when opening or closing and definitely has been fitted.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 06:13:29 PM »
Mine fit fine, but the plastic one fit prior.  Toth are VERY nice.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 06:58:56 PM »
You might continue sanding to fit contour and shim it out to take up the looseness.
jim
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline PineyCreek22

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »
A proceedure to salvage the forearm would be to drill out and plug the screw holes.  Reposition a proper plastic or metal spacer and install screws locating the spacer as it should be on the end of the forearm.  At the same time drill out the lug screw hole to give room to properly reposition the  spacer.  Then, glass bed the lug and screw so the spacer lines up right.  This may be a good time to ensuure the barrel is free floating.  Piney Creek
custom .357 mag monoblock, custom 30-30 Handi