Author Topic: Superformance  (Read 562 times)

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Superformance
« on: March 24, 2013, 07:59:04 AM »
Has anyone on here used any of Hodgdon's Superformance powder? I'd like to try some in a 270 Win. or 6.5x55 but I can't find any specs. I tried contacting Hodgdon but didn't receive an answer. If anyone has some info on this I would appreciate it.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Superformance
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »
I'd give them a call. (913) 362-9455. When I chatted with one of their techs, he was more than just a tech as he recited a lot of highly technical information as to the formulation, burn specs, and detergents used. The powder is not for ever cartridge and frankly, I wasn't impressed enough to try it. But I also wasn't calling for the powder in the 270 application.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »
I have just started experimenting with it in 22-250. Managed one trip to the range so far and was also evaluating some other powder selections. I had very favorable results with it that one outing. When the dang wind settles down on a day I have free I'll get in some more work with it. Calm days are few and far between this time of year in this neck of the woods. I'm talking 5-10 mph, not days with no wind at all.

The container has loads printed on the label for some calibers and Hodgen's web site also has loading information. It appeares to be limited in it's application. In my case just for 60 gr. bullets.

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 03:17:01 AM »
Hornady offers ammo in the Superformance line for 270, 6.5x55, 25-06, and 223 but there is no info on reloading that I can find. I mistakenly thought Hodgdon had it listed in their annual manual for some of those caliburs so I bought a can. Now I'm stuck with a can of powder that I can't use. I will look closer next time.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline Singlebarrel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 04:15:52 AM »
I tried the Superformance powder using the data on their website for the 243 WSSM.  I really like the results.  I have a very accurate load that is significantly faster than what I was running before.  I am shooting the Barnes TTSX 80 grain bullet.  I do not remember the specs.  I was impressed enough to go out and buy a couple of more cans.  This powder was hanging around dealer shelves when the others were gone.
I would like to try it in a 7mm-08 if I could get the load data.

Offline JASmith

• Avid Poster
    • Shooter's Notes — Improving your sight picture!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 04:25:00 AM »
The 'Superformance' labeled cartridges, from what I have read and heard, generally use a different formulation than the stuff we buy in canisters labeled 'Superformance.'

Use extra caution and do the usual load and temperature explorations before settling in on a favorite load.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 04:34:53 AM »
The reloading data center on Hodgdon's website lists loadings for superperformance powder. I quickly ran 270, 25-06, 223, and 308 and found nothing for them. It seems to be useable in only a few calibers of which 22-250, 243, and 300 wsm are listed on the container.

I went back and did find  loads for 30-06.