Author Topic: Magnum or Standard Primers  (Read 825 times)

Offline lefty_red

• I'm way too young to feel this old!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
  • I'll be needing that for squirrels and such....
Magnum or Standard Primers
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:59:21 AM »
I am reloading for my SBH in 44mag.  My hunting loads I am tryin gto work up are 240-250 grain bullets in the 1200-1300fps range.  I am using Blue Dot and 2400 powders.  Using W-W and Starline brass.

Do I really need to use the magnum primers or will the standard large pistol primers be ok?

Thanks for all help and suggestions.

Jerry
Too old for a paper route and too young to retire!

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Magnum or Standard Primers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 07:40:04 AM »
`
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:43:27 AM »
Standard primers will work fine with handgun volumes of flake or extruded powders.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline HL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:05:28 AM »
I would use which ever primer the reloading manual says to use.

Offline lefty_red

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 05:49:38 AM »
Manual is all over the place!  Sierra data says magnums but Barnes said standard.  Same bullet and weight.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 07:19:07 AM »
Bluedot and 2400 don't really need magnum primers. Having reloaded .44 magnums for mebbe 22+ years, I've used both. With my limited experience in accuracy testing, I couldn't tell the difference. I was able to shoot 1 1/2" groups @ 50' (shot a lot at indoor ranges), with both primer loads and  Bluedot  seemed a bit better shooting mid range loads than 2400 (250 gr. LSWC).

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 07:21:32 AM »
If you are worried about inconsistent ignition i.e. H110, then use magnums. 

If you are getting consistent velocity/accuracy you should be just fine with either.

I've used either.  But with ball powders, always magnums.

If you have a choice and want to stick with one, go with magnums. 

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 08:12:02 AM »
You want standard primers in 44 mag.  A mag primer creates too much pressure for revolver and pushes the bullet out before complete powder ignition.  I tested them both in my rifle.  I know a revolver shooter who insists on a standard primer.  He shoots revolvers at 500 yard gongs, one-hole groups at 100 yards so I know he knows what he's talking about. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 09:38:17 AM »
I have loaded and shot thousands of .44 magnum rounds and have absolutely no evidence of the above.

I would also like proof of one hole 100 yard shots with a revolver.

And if that is true...

I want him to teach me.  ;)

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 05:51:45 PM »
You want standard primers in 44 mag.  A mag primer creates too much pressure for revolver and pushes the bullet out before complete powder ignition.

Certainly doesn't match my experience.  I've shot a ton of .44 mag (and .357 mag for that matter) using magnum primers and never had that problem.

I know a revolver shooter who insists on a standard primer.  He shoots revolvers at 500 yard gongs, one-hole groups at 100 yards so I know he knows what he's talking about. 

Being an accurate shooter and knowing what you are talking about with respect to primers and reloading are not necessarily related...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 03:00:25 AM »
Are they nessiary to light off those powders? No. But its sure worth a try to see which shoots best in your gun. Ive seen it go both ways with 2400. As to bluedot i dont use it anymore in handguns. Its to finiky on the top end of pressures it runs at. It goes from mild to wild with just a small increase in powder and in midrange loads that are totaly safe with it it burns a bit to dirty. Something like hs6 or 2400 works much better for me.
blue lives matter

Offline lefty_red

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 03:47:20 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Like I said, the load books have the bullet's companies giving me one or the other with the same bullet weight and powder.

Best laid out plan is I will work up a load with the standard and see what the magnum primer does.  But I don't see that big of a change with slower burning powders like 2400.

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 08:37:38 AM »
There was an article in I believe in Handloader Magazine a short while ago about the use of magnum primers with 2400. Their test showed they were not needed and actually reduced accuracy and increased the chances of pressure spikes when using lower powder charges.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline lrrice

• Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »
I would work up with magnum then try standard.  That way there should be a decrease in pressure in the unknown load instead of an increase.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 07:05:13 PM »
Have to go along with several others here. Use both, and find out what works best in the gun your shooting. Mag primers can be used in place of standard, several reloading manuals I have basically state, start your loads at the bottom of chart, and work your way up. And, after 20 years of long range handgunning in IHMSA, I to, would like to see one hole groups at 100 yds. I've seen some pretty good shooters take out shootoff targets at 200 meters, that would be something to witness. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman