Author Topic: 7mm rem mag load  (Read 2991 times)

Offline pjeffreys

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
7mm rem mag load
« on: March 09, 2009, 03:59:17 PM »
i am trying to work up a good load in my 7mm mag using 139 hornadys, but not much luck. what is your favorite 7mm rem mag powder for 139 gr interbonds?

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 7mm rem mag load
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 04:45:36 PM »
After reading your previous post concerning compressed loads, I have to ask, what manual you are getting your load data from?

As far as powder for your 7mm Rem Mag Hornady 139 gr. Interbond or SST as you mentioned in your previous post, I would suggest IMR 4350, Reloder 22 or H 4350. There are several others listed in the Hornady Handloading Manual.

Bill

Offline pjeffreys

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 04:52:33 AM »
Bill,
i'm getting my data from the latest hornady manual. the compressed load was the max powder charge for retumbo from that manual. i think it was 74.2 grs, but i don't have the book here at work in front of me. i shot the compressed load yesterday and supprisingly it grouped better than any of the other charges in the manual for that powder. i am using nosler custom brass. i still want to change powder because i just don't feel comfortable using such a tightly packed case. i was looking in my sierra and nosler manual and both have reloader 19. what do you think about this one? i have tried reloader 22 and it was ok but i think i might do better.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 05:14:32 AM »
Couple things here that you might want to consider.
Nosler brass is heavier (at least the ones I have are) and  powder capacity is less than Remington or Winchester. That may be the cause of your compressed loads.
In the Hornady Manual the 139 gr. bullet COL indicated is 3.290". You may find your rifle will group better by adjusting your COL closer to the lands as well, if possible.
Can I ask what primer you are using in your 7mm Rem Mag?

Reloder 19 is another one of the powders shown in the Hornady Manual. Their starting data is 58.4 gr with the Maximum being 66.7 gr..  As always, start low and work up in developing a load for your rifle. The sweet spot is not always in the hottest load.

Bill

Offline pjeffreys

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:37:09 AM »
Bill,
As I stated earlier i am using a hornady manual. i am also using CCI 250 primers. i had thought about the nosler cases being heavier cases. my gunsmith told me that IMR 7828 might be a good powder to try. in your opinion do i need a fast burning powder or slow one with this bullet. i haven't grasped the burn rate logic yet.

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 09:01:02 AM »
Take a look towards the front of your Manual. All of my reloading manuals have a burn rate chart listed. The list runs from fastest to the slowest. Most of our Magnum Rifle cartridges need the slower powders. IMR7828 ain't a bad choice for the 7Mag.

HWD

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 09:32:22 AM »
Bill,
As I stated earlier i am using a hornady manual. 

Sorry buddy, my old eyes read Hodgdon for some reason. Better get em' (eyes & mind) checked out I guess. :D

Load safe and shoot straight...

Bill

Offline millwright

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 01:15:21 PM »
          been loading h4831 since 1978 works for me
The worst time to find your tongue is when you lose your head.

Offline pjeffreys

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 05:14:24 AM »
no Bill, i didn't mean that smart, i guess it came out that way. i'll proof read next time. i'm thinking about trying imr 4350 or rl 19. i have to pick one though cause with the economy the way it is, i can't afford to buy two different types in the same month.

paul

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 05:37:36 AM »
Paul, I didn't take it as being smart.  :D

I seem to be making a lot of reading errors lately. They say the mind is the last thing to go and since everything else has seemed to have jumped ship on me I'm a bit worried...

Powder choices these days can be troublesome. My local shop has none of my favorites on their shelfs right now. Hope it's better where you are.

Bill

Offline pjeffreys

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 08:07:46 AM »
millwright, what is the difference between h4831 and imr4831. i figured they were one in the same, just different brand names like chevy and gmc trucks. i've tried imr4831 and kept getting fliers.

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 09:58:48 AM »
P

I don't know what the differences are exactly, but a couple of my rifles like "H" while another prefers the "IMR". If I remember correctly, the manuals tell us not to interchange powder weights on these 2.

Offline millwright

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
          IMR4831 is faster burning than H4831, the difference is not great but theH has always worked well for me.
The worst time to find your tongue is when you lose your head.

Offline 41 mag

• Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 10:09:27 PM »
When I worked up loads for mine, I had a specific purpose in mind for it and was looking for top end loads for longer than normal range shots. I worked up both the 139gr and the 162gr Hornady's, until I got the velocities and sub MOA accuracy I was looking for. The best powders I found at the time were H-4831, and RL-19. I settled on the RL-19 loads for both weights as it was more economical at the time, to only have the one powder.

The only issue I have had with it, and I am sure due to the weight of the charge, is shooting in temps above around 85 degrees. The loads were worked up in mid 69 degree weather and were strictly for hunting in the fall here at home and up in the mid altitudes in Colorado.

I have since decided to work on something a bit milder for year round shooting of feral hogs, with the 139's, and also with one of the Hodgdon Extreme powders. I an thinking of H4831 or H4350, and might try some of the newer Hybrid 100V to see how it works as well. The rifle I am using is a Sendero and has shot spot on since the loads were developed, in fact I took my best whitetail with it at 283yds using the 162gr SPBT and dumped him on his nose.

Since getting this rifle I have added an STW to my collections so if I want more performance I can simply move up a bit with it.

Good luck with yours.

Offline Old English

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 01:15:00 AM »
I am shooting the 140gr Sierra in my 7RM. I found that H4831sc was just the ticket. It is extremely accurate in my rifle and supposedly temp insensitive. I use 64 grains of powder and acheive about 3100, nowhere near maximum but plenty good enough.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 07:46:10 AM »
"" I took my best whitetail with it at 283yds using the 162gr SPBT and dumped him on his nose. ""

41 Mag: Thats is a nice buck you killed with the 162 grain Hornady.  I am interested in the performance of the bullet on the deer?  Did the bullet exit the animal?  How much damage did it cause? 

I think the 160 and 162-grain bullets fit the ideal long-range slot for the 7 MM Mag. 

It appears you are learning towards the 139-grain Hornady for hogs.  That indicates to me that you have a lot of respect for it.  Can you describe its performance on game and compare it with the 162-grain bullet.  In the penetration department does the 139-grain bullet exit in your experience.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline TXSPIKE

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »
Both my 7mags sweet spot with 65.3grs of IMR-4350 with the Hornady 139gr Interbonds.I'm getting 1/2" or less groups and a velocity of 3240fps.

Offline 41 mag

• Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 12:26:14 AM »
"" I took my best whitetail with it at 283yds using the 162gr SPBT and dumped him on his nose. ""

41 Mag: Thats is a nice buck you killed with the 162 grain Hornady.  I am interested in the performance of the bullet on the deer?  Did the bullet exit the animal?  How much damage did it cause? 

I think the 160 and 162-grain bullets fit the ideal long-range slot for the 7 MM Mag. 

It appears you are learning towards the 139-grain Hornady for hogs.  That indicates to me that you have a lot of respect for it.  Can you describe its performance on game and compare it with the 162-grain bullet.  In the penetration department does the 139-grain bullet exit in your experience.

Siskiyou,

Thanks, for the area we hunt he is a great free range, low fence buck.

As to the performance of the bullets,

When I worked up the loads for that particular rifle the 162 Hornady had the highest BC out there for that particular weight range, in what at the time I considered a hunting bullet. That load has been used on both whitetail and hogs, and the results have been differing. On the deer, our shots have been at ranges past 200yds, which is what the load was developed for and it performs great. Meat damage even on the one pictured which was shot through the neck just in front of the shoulders was minimal. There was approximately a 2" cavity in the area where it hit the neck/spine junction, which was very acceptable for me. The results were about the same on others which were hit in about the same area.

On the hogs we have shot, it depended on the angle and the area hit. Hogs are built tougher and as such do things to bullets sometimes that even a solid shoulder hit on a deer would never do. Many I have shot when I had time to place the shot, resulted in similar results as we saw on the deer. Some however, did show extreme expansion upon hitting the tough hid from a direct broadside shot, and also from hitting the shoulder plate. Even with this however the main portion of the damage was for the most part only in and around the immediate impact area. Close range velocity was generally more the culprit than bullet construction.

I cannot remember ever NOT getting a complete pass through with this particular load. Even my nephews first big hog which he hit through the left ham, exited between the shoulder and neck completely length wise.
(Click on image for bigger version)

If you look at the front shoulder you can see where the bullet exited.
The 139's,

When I worked up the above loads I also worked with these as I shoot them in my .280 as well. I didn't go so far as completing the testing so much as the 162's did everything I could ask for. In the .280, they have worked exceptionally well in the past and I see no reason they wouldn't not work well now in the 7mag. I only worked with RL-19 with them in the past and once I hit an accurate load I pretty much stopped there. My reason to go back to them, is as mentioned before, I believe that with running them to around 3100, I can get all I would need from the 7mag out to 300yds, still use the .280 for close to medium ranges, and utilize the big STW and heavier bullets for anything bigger or at the longer ranges. 

Like you, I believe the 160gr range of bullets to be about the best fit for velocity and weight for the standard 7mag. Within reasonable pressures and with some of the newer powders and bullets, you can really bring out the full potential of the round. With the 139's running at impact velocities between 2500 and 3000fps I would not see any reason to believe they would not have a pass through except possibly hitting both tough shoulder plates on a really big hog. Other than that with most shots they should be fine and I am hoping to find out in the upcoming weeks. Nice thing about Texas, and the areas we hunt and shoot, those hogs are year round test media, and they taste good too.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 05:54:23 AM »
41 mag: Thanks for the descriptive report.  I am always interested in what happens inside an animal on impact. I have been curious about the performance of the Hornady 162-grain InterLock bullet on game.  I believe Hornady’s initial offering years ago in that bullet weight was a hollow point match bullet.  I skipped that for the 175-grian Hornady and 160-grain Speer Hot Core.  Your report on the 162-grain bullet is one of the first I have seen.  The temptation will be greater if I come across them.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 06:18:55 AM »
I looked around for the right for me 7MM Rem magnum powder and it turned out to be Reloder 22.  My rifle shoots 3/4 inch groups with the 160 grain Nosler Partition at 3000 fps.  My rifles sweet spot turned out to be 64.0 grains which is not at the top max loading.  I worked  up to the load using the 175 grain Hornady spire point and also got fine accuracy.  Using this powder charge both bullets hit within half an inch a 100 yards.  Performance is excellent on everything shot so far.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Fire Fox

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 08:10:47 PM »
I have been using RL22 wity the 139 inter bond at 69 to 69.5 gr  and a cci 250 primer for many years. it has given me great results aith outstanding accracy from my two 7 mag rifles .Velocity has been around 3255 out of my 26 browning and 3217 from my 24  savage rifle.I hope this helps you. Be sure to work up these loads carefully starting atabout 65 gr.

Offline the_spotdoctor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 06:42:45 PM »
I have shot this load in two different 7mags and both shot an inch or less. 63 grains IMR 4350. 139 grain hornady sp
, Fed 215 M primer and Remington brass. Crimp at bottom of cannelure.

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 04:00:56 AM »
I have always used IMR 4831 in my 7mag with great results.
But, I have never had good accuracy with Hornady bullets, especially the lighter 139gr.
My most accurate bullet is the 160gr. Partition. holding 1/2 to 3/4" groups, with near max loads.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 10:25:40 AM »
with the lighter 140s i like re19 and h4831sc. Id also probably give re22 and 7828 a try. I load for many differnt mag rounds and for primers you cant go wrong with a federal large rifle mag match primer.
blue lives matter

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
 In 7mm Rem Mag, back in the late 70's, I used a lot of IMR 4350. I used it for the 140 Nosler , 150 Partition and the 160 Partition. There was no 7828 available back then. when I finally got some 870 to try, it was the dirtiest powder I ever used on anything, lol. Real "Smutt Butt" factor! ha
I later used H4831 with the lighter 120's, and 7828 on the 154/160s. I love Retumbo with the 7STW, 7 RUM (although 7828 worked swell too) and up. I too like the Fed 215M primers for big cases/slow powders. I'd say, if you can only find powders such as the IMRs or something like R19, just work up your loads in different temperature seasons. I had a bad experience with a R19 338 win load I made at 80 deg when the temp dropped to 10 deg! Here in Utah, I work my loads up in the summer, but stopped having problems when I went to Hodgdon Extreme powders, i.e. H4350 and H4831SC. R15 works swell on standard cases too. I have guy in my church who has just started handloading  and wants to use the Hornaday 139SP in his 7mm Remmag. I advised him to get some H4350 if he can find it. Nowadys, you may not get the optimum powders but one has to adjust more is all, and if you go with IMR or similar, try dropping a grain for summer and adding a couple in winter is simple...and I'm sure you know this, this is why Handloaders keep good notes! Good luck to you Pard!