Author Topic: .223 barrel question  (Read 747 times)

Offline fortress49

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
.223 barrel question
« on: February 19, 2004, 04:46:45 AM »
I am planning on getting a .223 barrel.  The question now remains, which one?  There is a 24" bull barrel, a 22" bull barrel, and a 20" "normal" barrel.  What are the advantages of one over the other?  Are the bull barrels much more accurate than the "normal" barrel?  

Thanks,

Matt

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
.223 barrel question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 05:33:27 AM »
fortress49
You're almost correct. The 20" is the ultra light barrel and it is thinner.  the standard barrel is 22"
So there is 24" bull, 22" bull, 22" standard, 20" light weight.

The only one to avoid, in my opinion it the ultralight.  Too many people have posted accuracy problems with them in 223 and 243.

The 22 and 24" bulls are both very accurate but so is the standard.  The standard is actually heavier than most all sproter weight barrels I have seen.

My son's have 22" standard barrels and they will shoot the Winchester value paks at MOA or better.  The bulls are a bit steadier and if you are going to shoot a lot go with the bull.  If you're packing the rifle a ways in the woods, many recommend the standard to save weight.

I wish NEF would make a 24" bull with 1 in 9 twist for heavier bullets.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline fortress49

• Avid Poster
thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 05:45:14 AM »
thanks,  I see now I did miss the 22" standard barrel...

Offline MINNESOTA DICK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
.223 barrel question
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 04:16:55 AM »
fortress49
What type of shooting are you going to use this gun for?  I had the 22" hvy barrel and found that it shot for me ok from a bench rest set up, but was to hvy for me for off hand shooting. (not a walkabout gun). I sold that gun and went with the 22" std barrel and it seems so far as a better fit for me as a walkabout gun. My hvy bareel was to front end heavy for me to hold steady shooting off hand.

Just my thoughts :-)
Minnesota Dick
Happy shooting, may you hit what you aim at.

Minnesota Dick

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
.223 barrel question
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 04:36:25 AM »
MinnisotaDick was right on target (forgive the pun) the type of hunting or use is the determining factor in deciding barrel type/contour. I have a heavy barrel .223 w/ laminated stock, great from the bench but gets heavy after a mile or 2 walking in the woods. I also have a .17 HMR with a heavy barrel, a great shooter but a bit heavy also. I just bought a .22 Mag regular barrel for a carry around varmit gun. I love the .17 HMR but the lighter barrel available in the .22 Mag I feel will make an all around more comfortable carry gun in the field. Remember hunting accuracy and bench accuracy are 2 different animals, Hunting, 1 shot within 2" at 100-150 yards is usually OK. Bench, multiple shots, more barrel heating, with smaller groups expected. But remember get what YOU want, that's the only way you will be happy with it!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline fortress49

• Avid Poster
.223 barrel question
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 04:50:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies!  At this time, I do not hunt anything with that caliber.  So, to begin with it would be a target rifle.  However, in the future, should the opportunity arise, I would like to be able to hunt with it as well.  It sounds like the standard 22" barrel would be a good compromise for that scenario.  Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it!

Matt