Author Topic: stag grips for 1860 Army Colt  (Read 1120 times)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
stag grips for 1860 Army Colt
« on: April 03, 2013, 06:53:22 AM »
I'm posting this as a new topic but it could just as well have been added to AtlLaw's post on Gripmakers. My 1860 originally had the one piece walnut grips and I wanted to continue with that style rather than two panels connected by a cross screw. I therefore had to glue in the provided spacer. I decided to do it in two operations, first glueing one side to the spacer, trimming that panel and next day glueing on the other panel. That seemed easier than trying to keep three separate pieces all lined up togather.
These photos show the one side set up and ready to trim, showing how much there is to be removed. Removing that much material produces a flat which has to be blended in to the contour so all in all it requires quite a bit of material removal. I will post photos of the finished grips when they are done.

The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: stag grips for 1860 Army Colt
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 07:42:42 AM »
Can't wait to see it finished CJ!  I've got a set of stags fm Gripmaker waiting to go on that Richard's conversion.

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:41:38 AM »
Well here it is. I'm thinking of giving then a more "antique" finish but can't decide just how to go about it so for now it's white. After the required trimming and blending in the areas trimmed you see that I worked over the entire surface. That makes me glad I didn't order the "Hickock Eagle" design I had found tempting because I think it would be difficult to blend in the contours without hitting the raised eagle.

The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:53:26 AM »
They look great CJ!

And the picture answers my question about the brownish color of the grips only being on the surface!   :(

When I fit mine I'll have to experiment with ageing the grips...  :-\   Or not!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 01:17:50 PM »
The color is totally a surface treatment. I don't know why they bother since in fitting up the grips you will remove the surface. I don't know what the coloring agent might be but it really loads up on the sandpaper like a sticky varnish. If I were working with a new gun I'd probably leave the grips white but since my gun has been antiqued the white grips just don't look right.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »
I was looking at my stags tonight and with the spacer and an extra panel I have enough material to test some of my leather dye on.

Hi-ebber, and day always be a hi-ebber,  ;D   I doubt if the dye will penetrate the material to any degree and will probably wear off quickly.   :-\

We'll see...
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 03:06:35 AM »
I also doubt it. I've often used an old trick to "age" bone hairpipe and new powder horns by soaking them in a strong black tea. I soaked the grips for half a day and could not see any difference at all, it does not penetrate the plastic like bone or horn.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 05:42:11 AM »
Oh well, I'll be happy with the results if it looks like yours!   ;D

And speaking of looking like yours, it makes me want to extend my engraving past what I plan to do to the longrifle I'm doing!  Darn it looks nice! 
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 06:27:30 AM »
I wish I had some engraving skill, the couple of attempts I have made turned out looking pretty childish.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 07:02:42 AM »
I never tried it...  :-\   Just something I've never done and want to try.  You know, you see something and say to yourself, "self, you can do that!"   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 10:10:28 AM »
I've been fitting my grips.  They are quite a bit thicker then the ones I got for my Navy and I've been slimming them down.  Of course in doing so I am removing some of the imitation "Stag," along with the color.

I tried some leather dye on the grips and it did color the material some.  Once I get them completely fitted I'll decide how I want the color to run.

Probably most of it will be bone...  :-\ or should I say antler... white!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 11:24:15 AM »
Hey Joe!

Not wanting to hijack any more of your thread I started another one over in the Single action forum.  Sure would like your input!   :D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit