Author Topic: Can't Find Primers.  (Read 1527 times)

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
Can't Find Primers.
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:25:17 PM »
I have been looking for large pistol primers for 3 weeks now.  I can't find any.  I won't be able to shoot my new toy until I find some.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
Re: Can't Find Primers.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »
find a company that is still taking back orders and get on the list. 
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »
Might help if you post your location or add state to your profile.

I've seen them advertised on Armslist.com in a couple states I check occasionally.  I've been finding reloading components in the small mom and pop shops. Seems like it was more available in Jan than now.

Good luck.

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 03:10:52 PM »
I'm around Baton Rouge.  I don't expect to find any easily.  I hear there are people waiting in line at the big stores when they open the doors.  They walk in clean off the shelf and leave.  I've got until this fall to get a load worked up for hunting season.  I believe the demand will settle down by summer.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
hopefully , you find what you
need in time.
isn't there a local gun shop where
you can buy maybe 100 at the time
to get you started?
or maybe someone to trade one
to one with?
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »
Local gun shops don't know when they will get any in.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 02:37:36 AM »
If it's anything like the last Zerobama scare they will be hard to find through most of the summer. But my guess is that this one will last a while longer.  You can probably buy them on gunbroker for about 10 cents a piece if you are desperate. OR see if you can find a reloader local with a good supply and get a hundred off of him.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 02:58:10 AM »
here in Va. stores have some primers most allow you to buy 400 , one store allows only boxes of 1000 . It can be spotty though . One store owner told me it would be march of 2014 before things get normal and only then if Govt. doesn't contract for more stock. What will take the longest to come back will be the less used rounds like 35 Remington and such. Seems they make special runs of this type ammo since the sales are not as high as other more common rounds. He expects 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 308 win, 300 WM and 5.56/223 to be the first to come back in abundance. Maybe over runs of govt. contracts as they get filled.
 With no proof to back it up I would think components would be back in stores faster. It would seem powder, brass , bullets and primers would have to be made in advance of finial cartridge assembly where tooling would still be busy allowing the components  to be shipped to the commercial market. Now will companies like Georgia arms get the bulk so they can load or will hand loaders see it on shelves in stores ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 06:36:38 AM »
Personally I don't expect to see the situation improve much if at all thru the end of this year and wonder if it will next year. I'm not in a bind for anything really tho wouldn't mind having another 5000 or so of both SP and LP primers. I'm pretty sure that somewhere I should have that many laid back that I'm not finding but since I am not seeing them in my normal hiding places I'd buy them if I found them at normal not scalpers prices.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 06:39:19 AM »
A lot of uneducated to hand loading look at buying a thousand primers as hording but if you work up a good load it is best to have components from the same lots to continue instead of having to rework a load. 

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 10:43:10 AM »
A lot of uneducated to hand loading look at buying a thousand primers as hording but if you work up a good load it is best to have components from the same lots to continue instead of having to rework a load.

Anyone who can get by purchasing 1000 primers at a time doesn't shoot enough to make reloading worthwhile. I think 25,000 was the least I bought at a time in the last 20 or 30 years.  Usually bought 50,000 at a time.

In all honesty, I think we may be in for the duration this time unless "We the people" make some necessary and past due changes.

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 02:41:41 PM »
I picked up 1000 CCI large rifle primers a few days ago for $35.00.  That will last me about another 10 years.  I'm still looking for large pistol to reload for my new 44 mag.  I ended up buying some Winchester soft points today since I can't find primers.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 01:55:46 AM »

Anyone who can get by purchasing 1000 primers at a time doesn't shoot enough to make reloading worthwhile. I think 25,000 was the least I bought at a time in the last 20 or 30 years.  Usually bought 50,000 at a time. Sorry should have made it more clear , 1000 per load for each gun  ;) ::) .........

In all honesty, I think we may be in for the duration this time unless "We the people" make some necessary and past due changes.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 06:29:16 AM »
Run into primers at the gun shows around here.(Oh/Mi/Pa.) Trouble is, price's are higher than normal. The ''real dealers'' as I like to call them, have raised their price's to about $10 over regular price, to try and keep the scalpers from hoarding them. And the weekend wanna bee's, are trying to get $50 to $75/1000. Most of the old timers have seen this trick before, so they let the scalpers keep their primers, and they carry them home Sunday night. Trouble is, to many newbies getting into it, keeping the price's up. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 06:45:29 AM »
From what I have read on all the prepping sites.  1,000 loaded rounds per rifle and pistol and 10,000 22LR for each 22 for a SHTF minimum.  22LR might be used far more for food gathering than the others.  However, semiautos might require far more rounds than say a bolt gun.   With each new brass case, one should be able to reload 10 times.  Thus 10 times as many primers, powder for the required and bullets. 

I know someone who has like 100 357 loaded rounds in a 50 cal ammo can.  Also inside is 1,000 primers, 1,000 bullets, and 1# of powder. Also, a Lee hand loader for the 357.  This is his grab and go SHTF can.  He has a 357 rifle and pistol.  He said, in a SHTF situation, he would reload immediately after shooting once he had time, keeping his 100 always loaded.  This is bare minimum thinking, but not a bad idea.  He liked the idea of both handgun and rifle using the same cartridge.  This could also work for 44 mag, 9mm, or 45acp, if you had one of the Marlin camp carbines or other rifle to go with it. 

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 08:05:17 AM »
of course, that would assume one would
have time to rescue each spent case,
the case didn't fall down in the leaves
and dirt and get lost, the person didn't
step on and ruin the case in the heat
of the moment, the person didn't have
to gather what they could in a five count
and run like hell, etc.

i believe i'd get 900 more cases and have
'em ready to go and stashed around and
the reloading tools stashed somewhere also
to reload if the opportunity presents itself.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 12:53:51 PM »
I'm not reloading due to the quantity I shoot.  I couldn't get the loads I wanted in some calibers.  The first being 500 S&W.  All the loads are loaded very hot and are very expensive.  I wanted a milder load.  Some calibers are much cheaper to reload for such as 44 mag. I also have some odd calibers.  7.5 swiss, 7.62x25.  I may start shooting alot again one day, but for now my days are filled with work, school, and raising a family.

Anyone who can get by purchasing 1000 primers at a time doesn't shoot enough to make reloading worthwhile. I think 25,000 was the least I bought at a time in the last 20 or 30 years.  Usually bought 50,000 at a time.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »
What do you have to trade, maybe I could cut loose with a hundred or 2 to get you started.

Tony

Offline shaggybull

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
check your local Craigslist under reloading. I've been making finds there. Last week I picked up a mec 600 jr 12 gauge press, 900 primers, lyman rifle press, case trimmer, powder measure and scale 30-06 & 30-30 brass load bench and few other items from a guy who's father in law passed away.  He sold it all for a package deal.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 02:17:58 AM »
I will pay as much as $50/1000, but $75 is a bit steep.  I am in the process of reloading everything I have right now, and then see what I need and will order them at regular price from one of the supply places and pay the $20 Hazmat fee.  I figure with the bulk order that spreads out.