Author Topic: Casting bullets for the .45-70  (Read 2409 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
Casting bullets for the .45-70
« on: January 21, 2013, 12:40:22 AM »
I picked up a Handi rifle in .45-70 the other day and I'm trying to get ready to load for this round.  I consider it to be my cast bullet gun and I'll likely not shoot any jacket bullets through it...

Anyway I'm tapped out from the purchase of the rifle and dies and I'd like to go cheap on a mold for now.  Anyone have any experience with the Lee .458 405 and 360 grain flat nose molds with the .45-70?

I'm thinking about selling a few of the molds I don't use much to get a Lyman but I really don't like the idea of reducing my selection of molds.

Tony

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Casting bullets for the .45-70
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 01:27:25 AM »
if i could have only one mold for the 4570 it would be the rcbs 405 round flat gas check mold. that bullet has shot real well in every 4570 ive shot it in and does real well on game too.
blue lives matter

Offline Grumpybear

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 03:30:13 AM »
I have that Lee 405 gr mold in aluminum. I have't shoot it enought to know if its accurite and its tuff to get a good cast from the 2 cavities.
I usually use 1 cavity and warm it up good befor the cast good. I hold the mold in the pot some then pour a few without the sprew cutter in place, just dump em out untill its warmed up good. They set in the sprew cutter and don't fill if its not hot.

I also have the 500 gr postell but I dont like shooting it much ;)

I have to get a 300 and a 350 soon as the store baught bullets will run out soon and I need to cast some.

Grumpy
Old enuff to know better, young enuff to keep trying
"So this is what the death of freedom sounds like ... roaring applause"  Padmae

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:28:23 AM »
I've got the LEE 405 gr single cavity mold. Accuracy is certainly good for a deer sized target up to 100 yards.  My particular rifle likes Blue Dot powder best, I'm sure there are other useful powders.
I've not hunted with it because every time I look at the meplat I figure that isn't big enough and go to something else.
For real cheap shooting try it with Unique or Trail Boss powder.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline mstake

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 03:30:03 PM »
i have the 405 lee and i allso have lbt custom 400. i can tell you that if you are going to run either on in the 1700-2000fps range it is a thumper. i cast mine out of WW and i havn't had a problem with leading around 1600-1700. 50yd groups are good 1inch or so. i like the LBT better then the lee but if cost is a factor i don't think the lee is a bad investment.
life member of North American Hunting Club >1994 to present

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 01:04:02 PM »
The Lee 340 gr shoots great in my Handi rifle, but not so much in the Encore.  The Lee 405 hollow base works ok in both.  Size is critical, about 0.002'' over groove dia is best, in my rifles anyway.  The Lee tends to run a bit small, so that may be an issue for you.  The hollow base may bump up on firing to seal better, I can't really say for sure.  I have had NO luck with the Lee 450 grainer.  I have some commercial cast 500 gr Postell's that group great, but they push back too hard if you are on a bench.

Offline Jacko

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:28:15 PM »
I have several Lee Moulds and quite like them. I do have a couple of Custom Moulds which are superior but at 3 to 5 times the Cost I can Cast an awefull lost of Projectiles with vthe Lee. I use the Lee 405 Hollow Base Mould for my Rossi 45.70. It drops proj at .459 for me using wheel weight alloy. It is a little particular to use with the Hollow Base Plug occasionly not cooperating but overall I can Cast up plenty of Proj in quick time.

Before and after Sizing I Tumble my Projectiles in Lanotec Liquid Lanolin then Pan Lube using White Label Lube cut 50% with Bee's wax. I only push my Loads to 1450 fps or so and get 1 hole 10 shot groups at 50 Yards.

I did not buy the Lee 405 Gr Plain Base as it is advertised to drop a smaller Proj than the Hollow Base. It is also a little shorter than the Hollow Base 405 which would give me more options with overall length. I have since had a think about it and shortly will buy the Lee 405 PB Mould and Lapp it out a couple of thou with a Grinding paste inpregnated Proj. I did this to a Lee .357 SWC Mould and it turned out great.

As for the Nose Diameter of the Lee Proj with Ait cooled wheel weeight alloy it is still soft enough to offer some expansion and besides a 45 Calibre Slug could be called pre expanded !!

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, "You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."

Charles Darwin

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 05:28:22 AM »
I have the Lee 405 HB and the Lee 500gr.   I have yet to find a load for the 405 that I like but the 500 shoots pretty good.  I have been getting better accuracy using softer than WW alloys.  Of course I keep the velocities down cause I don't like getting stomped every time I pull the trigger.  Most handis seem to like the .459 diameter better.

Offline johnjohn

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 02:02:44 PM »
I have the Lee 405 h.b. works well with wheel weight lead.I use it with IMR3031.

Offline JimP.

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »
I have tried a lot of different cast bullets up to a 635 gr postell, the most accurate bullet in my Handi 45-70 rifle is the Lyman 385 gr round nose lubed with SPG and AA 5744.

Offline brad925

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 10:57:50 AM »
I run a Lee HB mould in 405 and it works great in both my H&R BC and my Uberti High Wall. My mold using WWs throws them at about .460 and ipan lube and shoot them as cast.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 06:01:33 PM »
TOW & Midway both have the Lee hollow base in stock for around $20.  Just fyi...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline garyvale

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 07:24:10 AM »
if i could have only one mold for the 4570 it would be the rcbs 405 round flat gas check mold. that bullet has shot real well in every 4570 ive shot it in and does real well on game too.

I'll second this.... great mold, accurate cast bullet.  Works well in all of my .45-70 rifles.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 03:49:15 PM »
Yep, the RCBS 405gr RNFP is not my favorite bullet, and I am just VERY happy with my 465gr WFN bullet for deer and elk, but if Lloyd says the RCBS is a good bullet, ya probably should pay attention.  He shoots more and takes more game then most of us ever will.

It is partly due to his recommondations that I am shooting the bullet I am in my 45/70.

Plus, RCBS makes a quality mold.  To my way of thinking, much better made the those from Lyman.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
300 Winmag

Offline c_latrans

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 10:32:13 AM »
I learned the hard way that some Handi's have a short throat and will not chamber the 405's until you ream them out.  For right now I'm doing just fine with the 300 grain bullets.  Dale
It sucks to grow old, but it's still better than dying young!

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 11:28:34 PM »
So far I've only shot 230g RN .452 bullets patched up to .460.  These are shooting really well considering they're so experimental...

Midway got the 405g .457 mold in stock so I wasted no time ordering one.  The 340 is still out of stock but I expect to jump on it when they're available again...

BTW, do you guys neck or full length size your .45-70 brass?  I picked up a hundred 450g RNFP bullets and they just slide into a fired case.  It's almost like I could crimp them in and go...

Tony

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »
Tony,

Baring some really bad chamber defect or extreme pressures that prevent brass fired in YOUR chamber from returning to YOUR chamber, I'd size the case down just far enough to assure that the brass gets a good, tight and consistant hold on the bullet.

Personally I see no need to size beyond that point with my 45/70.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
300 Winmag

Offline Grumpybear

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 02:56:31 PM »
I have that problem also. the boolets are sized to .458 and drop in befor i can crimp them. I had to start neck sizeing the brass just to get em the crimper.

I just got in a .460 sizer and it looks like the still wana fall in, so I'm stuck neck sizing. If I ever find a mold thats big enuff I won't size at all, load em up shoot crimp em up soot em up.

Grumpy
Old enuff to know better, young enuff to keep trying
"So this is what the death of freedom sounds like ... roaring applause"  Padmae

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »
I think my patched bullets will push in if I bell the case a little but should stay with friction.  I'll try neck sizing the cases for the 405g bullets to see how well it works. 

Right now all my light load data is with Unique but I'd like to try RE7 and IMR4895.  I'll just have to try some and see how my shoulder holds up.

Tony

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 09:55:54 PM »
all my molds are lee's they just work good i haven't wore one out yet.you don't have to spend a lot money to shoot good  ;)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 02:17:41 AM »
I guess i should refrase my comment. The rcbs 405 is a great bullet. Its accurate in any 4570 ive ever tried it in and without going to a custom mold is about as good as it gets. I have some custom molds for the 4570 that i actually prefer but if you want to get away cheap the rcbs mold is hands down the best bang for the buck. You can buy the cheap lee one and two cav molds for 30 bucks that might last for a  thousand bullets if you very very very careful or you can buy a good steal rcbs mold that will last your lifetime. My only complaint with the rcbs is I feel it could have a slightly larger metplat but to be honest its hammered everything ive ever shot with it just as it is.
Yep, the RCBS 405gr RNFP is not my favorite bullet, and I am just VERY happy with my 465gr WFN bullet for deer and elk, but if Lloyd says the RCBS is a good bullet, ya probably should pay attention.  He shoots more and takes more game then most of us ever will.

It is partly due to his recommondations that I am shooting the bullet I am in my 45/70.

Plus, RCBS makes a quality mold.  To my way of thinking, much better made the those from Lyman.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
blue lives matter

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 03:13:55 PM »
If the 45-405-FN RCBS will chamber in your rifle it will most likely do a good job. Like Lloyd said it's one great boolit.
Joshua 1:9