Author Topic: 45-70 Handi Rifle  (Read 1189 times)

Offline 257Robt

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
45-70 Handi Rifle
« on: February 18, 2004, 04:47:26 PM »
The thought has crossed my mind to purchase a Handi Rifle in 45-70 Gov't. I am wondering, for anyone that has one, what are there impressions of them.  :blaster:
Expect it when you least expect it

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.handirifle.com
45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 06:02:22 PM »
Had a Buffalo Classic.  Traded it off but WILL get another 45-70 barrel for my new Ultra.

They are accurate and powerful.  Can kick like a mule, but you never had som much fun getting kicked so hard.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline TOMMYY01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
MY 45-70
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 07:10:37 PM »
I HAVE A 45-70 WITH A SYNTHETIC STOCK. TOOK IT OUT THIS PAST SAT. AND SIGHTED IT IN. THE ACCURACY IAS GREAT JUST WITH THE IRON SIGHTS.  i GOT IT SIGHTED IN WITH 300 CORELOKS. AS FAR AS THE RECOIL, YOU FEEL IT, BUT IS NOTHING COMPARED TO MY 12 GA. TRACKER. MY TRACKER AS MUCH AS I LOVE IT , WAS KICKING THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME, UNTIL I PUT A EXTRA RECOIL PAD ON IT TO TAMEIT. THE 45-70 DOES KICK , BUT IT IS TOLERABLE. FOR ME IT DIDN'T HURT MY SHOULDER, AND THERE WAS NO BRUISING EVEN AFTER 40 SHOTS. OK GUYS, THIS AIN'T BM, I'M AT WORK AND I DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO GO TO SMALL CASE LETTERS.
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 07:25:21 PM »
The 45-70 is just plain addictive  :-D

Offline bull b 25-06

45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 07:53:42 PM »
I have been cosidering the 45/70 ,but haven't let the wife know yet. Everytime i want something she also has to get  something. This makes it fair she says,but she also realizes the more guns i get the less i'm going to be at home(which gives us both a little R&R). What i was wanting to know is what price do the 45/70 cartridges run,and for what brand/grain? Thanks for any replies.

later bull b 25-06
If at first you don't succeed then change the rules

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 01:31:30 AM »
257 Robt
 The Handy is very satisfying, especially in 45/70. Accurate from the bench, friendly to carry afield, and provides great confidence in its power!
 Other calipers have advantages, and the tradeoffs are a source of lots of conversation. But there does seem to be more and more discussion bout the old 45/70. Its been doin a good job for a long time.
 It does kick! Offhand, it's tolerable with factory loads. Off a bench, with poor posture, it will bruise! It seems sensible to put something in the stock cavity, and install a recoil pad. No big deal.
 The season of 02, I went along with a friend, in his area, for deer. He used my Handy and I used my flintlock. He returned from shooting it at the range, to check it out. He even showed me the target. One hole. One shot. There was only one empty in the carton. I asked him about that, and he said that it shot fine. I said,"hey, there's plenty of ammo, go ahead and get some practice". 'I SAID IT SHOOTS FINE!"....oh! I spoke to hime, later that day, about the benefits of the 243.
 To answer the question asked by bull b 25/06, I've seen a box of cartridges for $20, but have purchased for less, about $15. The Lee Loader I got last month, with the dipper set cost ....$24....I think.
 I started out looking for a 45/70, and now I'm pleased with it. It's easily my first choice for hunting deer!.............Woodbutcher

Offline 257Robt

• Contributor
45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 02:56:23 AM »
Is it fair to say that the recoil is about the same as the 35 whelen. I have a couple and man the recoil is half of the fun. I am also curious, does anyone know if they make any versions without the iron sights. If not, are the sights removable? As far as the synthetic stock, was it hard to find? I have only seen them with wood stocks.
Expect it when you least expect it

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 03:35:06 AM »
I've had the standard, wood stocked version for several years. It's just a ton of fun. It's a little light for the caliber but no real problem until you start loading hot which really doesn't make any sense in a 45-70. Handloading this case is fun in itself. Many, many powders work fine and cast bullets are everywhere. I like to load 405's down a little for 200 yard plinking. My rifle is very accurate. Yes, the sights are easily removed.

Offline timbertoes

• http://www.texoma.net/~goonair
45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 03:39:24 AM »
It is the _perfect_ home  LIGHT ARTILLERY Round :)

You just have to see that big .45 inch hole in the barrel....ooohhhh baby.

Looking forward to making some blackpowder rounds with it.

Need to convince the State of Texas to open a "45-70 blackpowder only" hunting season.  Year-long  :-D  :-D

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 04:28:56 AM »
257robt
I don't think they make one without iron sights and yes they are removable.  The barrels are also drilled and tapped for scope mounts, ALL 45-70 barrels, even the BC 32".

I personally think a 32" BC barrel cut to 26" (I'll get hung for this one :-) ) and scoped would be ideal for the 45-70 in the handi.

Offline bull b 25-06

45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 09:26:12 AM »
Woodbutcher thanks for the reply. Is that price on the cartridges for 20?50? rounds. I have been interested in this caliber for a while but never did any research on it. The first rifle i seen in it was a neighbors'. I was deer hunting on his property(which we always do) and he walked up and was talking to me. After greeting him i took a look at his rifle and asw it was a Marlin 336 30/30. We talked for a few more minutes then he changed grip on his rifle and flashed the muzzle to me. I said holy crap  :shock: what is that it looked like i could stick my thumb in the barrel. Then he showed me one of the cartridges,and just the sight of it made my shoulder hurt.Anyways if things go my way this year i plan on adding about three more rifles including the Huntsman. The LEE loader you got did that include everything because i know nothing about it.

later bull b 25-06
If at first you don't succeed then change the rules

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 09:41:27 AM »
Quote from: handirifle

I personally think a 32" BC barrel cut to 26" (I'll get hung for this one :-) ) and scoped would be ideal for the 45-70 in the handi.

Handirifle,
  Please, just say it isn't so!  :cry:
Don

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 10:15:40 AM »
The cost for 20 coreloks is $20. Not bad really. I love shooting this rifle so much that when I sight in my 30-30 tomorrow, I'll have to take the 45-70 so I can shoot the last 6 cartridges to ah ah fine tune it. :-D This rifle is really, a joy to shoot. These guys here say it's addictive and it is.   :lol:                         Tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 10:54:26 AM »
Handirifle, We're gettin the rope :twisted:
 Timbertoes, I see you got it bad! Take 20 or 30 rounds at the range, and call me in the morn if the symptoms persist.
 Bull B 25/06 Since I'm such an expert in this matter :roll: I'll be glad to tell ya everything I know. This won't take long.
 1) I plan to get a Lee Primer Tool. About $13. Hammerin the case to install the primer gives me the shivers. Personal, I'm sure no one else feels this way.
2)Lee makes a case length trimming tool. Its not expensive, maybe $12 for the 2 parts at my local gun store. I'm gonna get one o' them too. Probably not really critical at this stage, especially with lower pressure lead loads.
3) Lee will provide my a tool to bell the case mouth, $4, so I can load lead. I called them, nice people. Fella on "the other site" told me to use a pair of long nose pliers to bell the case mouth. I may.
 It seems a few things are nice to have in addition to the loader set, but ain't that just normal?
 Oh yes $15 to $20 for 20 rounds..K-mart?.....woodbutcher
 I got my order from Cabelas, very satisfied with the service.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2004, 10:58:54 AM »
Just from a purely woods gun idea.  22" too short to get best velocity and 32" too long to get through brush.  Not saying I could do it but, seems like the best of both worlds.

Offline JPH45

45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2004, 12:47:13 PM »
handirifle, My Browning 1885 45-70 had a 28" tube. It was perfect for woods hunting, I don't think you're nuts at all, but for me the 22" barrle makes all the velocity I care to stand behind, and wht little extra that is achievable with a longer barrel is of little use to a hunter. The extra forward weight woud be a huge advantage though, both steadying the muzzle and dampening the recoil. I would say go to 28" and try it, and if you wanted, you could always take a couple of more inches away.

257 Roberts...I do not think it is possible to own a pmore popular chambering. the 45-70 has been woth u s for 132 years now and seems to be going as strong as ever. I am willing to bet that a thesis could be written documenting all the available loading data for this cartridge. Another thesis could be written on all the reasons why people both love and hate the old guy. A third thesis could be written on why it is still polular all these years later, seeing that it had outlived all its other relatives untill the return of black powder cartridge sport shooting.

As much as I have searched for other cartridges to do what this one does, and as much as i would prefer to have anything other than a 45-70, the plain truth is there is little available that could  take its place.

The 45-70 Handi Rifle with heavy loads will beat the crap out of you off a bench. Heavy loads won't be pleasant shot standing. I don't find the factory 300 grain JHP offerings unweildy in any sense. As has been stated, if you are up to 12 guage slugs, these 45-70 loadings are a snap. Don't expect 400 grain bullets at speeds greater than 1700 fps to be user friendly....not without  a fair amount of weight added to the gun. At the same time time, there are good, highly accurrate loads using 350-400 grain bullets at 1200 fps or so that one can shoot all day long without being battered.

Consider this, there seems to be a clamor for lever rifles in chamberings like the 454 Casuel, 480 Ruger and 475 Linebaugh. The 45-70 will replicate ANY loading those are capable of, and go places they will only dream about.  The 475 Linebaugh from a revolver drives 400 grain bullets in the 1500 fps vicinity. More than a few have killed elphant with such guns. There are a plethora of Trapdoor loadings that will do that. Does this make your Handi an elephant gun? I'm not sure, but it will go places more than a few won't take the venerable 30-06, and it has been used to shoot down airplanes...............
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
45-70 Handi Rifle
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2004, 03:50:05 PM »
Handirifle,
  I would say, if cuttin' it down makes you happy, go for it. I don't feel undergunned with my Marlin Guide Gun, and it's 18 1/2", if I remember correctly, and is a lot easier to swing in the woods. The only place you lose, is in velocity, about 17-18 FPS per inch, and you'll gain a bit of recoil. How much more recoil is hard to figure without knowing the weight lost to the cutting. Like I said, if it makes you happy, go for it. I'd like to see a picture of the final product. I was also thinking that if you bought a spare Buffalo Classic barrel, you could have both.
Don