Author Topic: nagant revovler  (Read 521 times)

Offline casca1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
  • Contributor
nagant revovler
« on: March 27, 2013, 09:35:43 PM »
any experinces with the 7.62x38R, thinking about trying to get one ?

any reloading experinces able to share ?

thanks
casca
I DON'T WANT NO MORE ARMY LIFE
PLEASE SIR,
I WANNA GO HOME
1983-1990

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: nagant revovler
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 04:29:03 AM »
The Nagant can be very accurate with good ammo. They are light, about 26 ounces, and could make an effective small game gun. The double action trigger pull is off the scale, I'd guess maybe 30 pounds and single action is a bit heavy but can be made OK. The original Russian military ammo is about the best if you can get it but the brass is Berdan primed. The PRVI brand ammo is OK and it is reloadable but reloading can be a bit of a pain. For one thing, there are no die sets available for reloading to original spec with the gas seal crimp. Lee makes a die set marked "7.62 Nagant" but it actually is intended for use of 32/20 brass which won't provide the gas seal and accuracy tends to be poor because the 32/20 case is shorter than the chamber and the bullet has to make a jump through a greatly oversize chamber throat into a barrel with no forcing cone.  You can reload the Nagant brass with the Lee dies but you'll need a Nagant shell holder which is available only from RCBS and you'll need to modify the seating stem to seat a bullet below the case mouth and  improvise some sort of crimp die to taper crimp the 38 mm case. Another problem is the case rim is very thin and tiny, if you don't use plenty of really good lube you will pull the rim off and leave the case stuck in the size die. If you are the kind of guy who enjoys a challenge reloading the 7.62 Nagant is just what you are looking for. If you just want to shoot a gun your best bet would be to stock up on Russian Military ammo which is not too expensive if you buy in quantity.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.