Author Topic: 22 tcm load tests  (Read 1079 times)

Offline jamjennic

• Trade Count: (1)
22 tcm load tests
« on: June 22, 2012, 06:57:09 PM »
did some more load testing this morning, am loading 35gr. hornaday vmax, so far thats the only bullet i have thats short enuf to fit the clip. case trim length is 1.022" and oal 1.270", that just clears the magazine. factory loads are 1.255". tried aa no.7, aa no. 9, and h110. the factory loads are at 1960 fps av. and group 1.50" @ 50 yds. the aa no.7 built pressure around 1950 fps. and was dropped. the no9 and h110 both looked good for pressure to around 2150 fps. both quit building speed beyond this point and accuracy suffered. the h110 has a little more muzzle blast than the no9 but recoil on both is very much like the fac loads.  groups seemed to improve the more i shot still getting use to the 1911 style. the last groups with each powder where just over 1" .  would like to find some other bullets to try, if anyone knows of other short fat .22s let me know.   

Offline SD Handgunner

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 22 tcm load tests
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »
I never thought of it when I met you tonight to drop off the holster for you to try but after I got home I happened to think of a couple partial boxes of bullets I have in the basement.

I just checked and have 78 .22 Caliber 40gr. Speer Spire Points. Man these are a short bullet. The length of the one bullet I measured measures .508". As close as I can measure it looks like the caliber diameter of the base of the bullet measures .275" and the tapered portion of the bullet measures .233". According to my measurements that should fit in your cartridge overall length window.
I also found a box of .22 Caliber 45gr. Hornady Hornet Bullets (19 in the box). Their length measures .610" and their nose profile is longer than the Speers.
I will contribute these for testing purposes if you want to give them a try. In just looking at the bullets and going by the case length and cartridge overall length dimensions you listed I think the Speer's may work if they shoot OK.
Larry

T/C Handguns, one good shot for your moment of truth !

Offline 1armoured

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »
The Sierra 40gr SP Hornet bullet is even shorter than the Speer.
Speer also do a 33gr JHP

cheers,
SS

Offline jamjennic

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 04:36:47 PM »
thanks for the reply's, sounds like I get to do some more testing!!

Offline daniel2013

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 06:35:12 AM »
I am very interested in the 22 TCM.  I have had two barrels made for me for my TC Encore and my TC Contender.  The Encore barrel is a 15 inch pistol and the Contender barrel is a 21 inch rifle barrel.  I also have two of the Rock Island 1911's and that is what got me interested in this cartridge in the first place.  The info I have received was for using the H 110 and the Winchester 296 powders as well as the H4227.  At least in the TC's I am not limited as to the total bullet length.  The amounts of powder ranged from 9 to 10 grains.  I hope to see more info on here for this cartridge.  I hear Rock Island is coming out with a rifle that uses the same Magazine and is interchangeable with the pistol.  I also have a finish reamer for this cartridge.
Danny

Offline daniel2013

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 06:45:43 AM »
Both Hornady and Lees have made a limited no. of dies for this caliber now.  If you want to get on the Hornady's list to receive a set of dies you should call Ben Syring at 800 338-3220 Ext. 261 and he will call you back when he can and you can order the dies direct from him.  I am hoping if enough interest is shown that maybe Hornady will add some loading info in their new book next year if we can still find any components.