Author Topic: .40 S&W vs. .41 mag  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
.40 S&W vs. .41 mag
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
I own both, the .41mag in a 6 1/2" NMBH and a SIG P-2340 chambered in .40S&W.

Is there a good reason to download the .41 mag? If I am needing a light load why not carry the SIG?  I can get a 180gr traveling at or about 900fps from a box of factory stuff. The "fun" load for the .41 is about the same with a 210gr.

Now don't get me wrong I like both pistols but the Ruger is more cumbersome for only 6 rounds available. Sadly I shoot the SIG much better. Hell, I can hit a barrel lid at 100 yds pretty often with the SIG occasionally with the Ruger. I need more trigger time on the Ruger before I pass final judgement.

I freely admit I am no pistolero, but I have fun. I haven't spent any time shooting the Ruger with reduced loads. I figure I owe it to myself to back off and practice with the light stuff at least.

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Re: .40 S&W vs. .41 mag
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:52:38 PM »
My "fun" load in my .41 is a 210gr at @ 1100fps still better than a 40 short and weak.  and my business load is a 260gr LFN at1500fps that is no joke downdeep in the thickets. My vote .41 Rem.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 07:31:11 PM »
I have a 40 and a 44 Mag.
The 40 shoots 180 grain bullets like you said about 900 FPS.
I have, what I call a bowling pin load for the 44 that I load either a JHP or Berry's plated 180 grain bullet at 1000 FPS.
Turns my S&W into a pussy cat.  I find if I shoot that for a while and then go to the 240 grain soft points in Mag class I do much better with the big revolver.
When I first got my 2340 we were shooting at a hill side at the range and were breaking a clay pigeon with every 10 round mag at 150 to 200 yards.  Practice, practice, practice. 
I think if you look at the berry's bullets and find a projectile that is about 170 grains and load it to 900 to 1,000 fps you will have a lot more fun with the boomer. 

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 12:30:09 AM »
I'm a fan of both calibers. Don't currently own a .41, down to .45 Colt and .44 mag in rollers.  Do  have a few .40s. I load a 170gr LSWC in the .40 at about 950fps that is a sweet shooter! I can ring the 200yd gong most of the time with that load in my Glock 35. Clay pigeons,----------naw, a bit small for this old man.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:27:37 AM »
I do download it..... sort of......When then necks of my brass crack I trim them to "short" length and get some more use out of them........... Make nice rabbit loads........................
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 09:11:48 AM »
I load 41 mags to the 850-100 fps range with cast bullets and Unique, Green Dot.  Makes for very enjoyable shooting and I too have punched a few rabbits with them. Yes the 41's are more bulky than a lot of 40's.  I carry the 41 in bear country w 250-265 heavy loads but often have some mild loads in a pocket for other opportunities.  I don't carry the 40 in such conditions but really enjoy my P99 for other uses.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 11:28:18 AM »
Quiver:  you just need more trigger time with the 41.  Although the 40 shoots what one might refer to as a light 41 load, a 210 gn 41 slug at 900'/sec is much more than the 180 gn 40 at the same velocity.  Both calibers have their place in the world of hunting, target and defense but comparisons are not really accurate, imo. 

As for Ruger accuracy - dunno 'bout you buddy but I had to re-spring the trigger on my SBH as the hammer fall weighed about two ton and trying to shoot that for the 200 yd metallic silhouettes wasn't easy, but I managed.....  Actually, unless your Ruger's action (trigger pull, and hammer fall) is not buttery smooth it might be difficult to really enjoy and appreciate the capabilities of the revolver.  Good luck and have fun.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 12:06:43 PM »

Is there a good reason to download the .41 mag? If I am needing a light load why not carry the SIG?  I can get a 180gr traveling at or about 900fps from a box of factory stuff. The "fun" load for the .41 is about the same with a 210gr.

Now don't get me wrong I like both pistols but the Ruger is more cumbersome for only 6 rounds available. Sadly I shoot the SIG much better. Hell, I can hit a barrel lid at 100 yds pretty often with the SIG occasionally with the Ruger. I need more trigger time on the Ruger before I pass final judgement.

I freely admit I am no pistolero, but I have fun. I haven't spent any time shooting the Ruger with reduced loads. I figure I owe it to myself to back off and practice with the light stuff at least.

For me, it would depend on just what I needed the pistol for...  If me, likely I would be carrying the 40 daily and using the 41 as a hunter or for more serious tasks. It would also matter the accuracy of each and if sufficient for the task at hand. I have no doubt the Ruger will win that, but is the sig acceptable?
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 3030guy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »
They are two different animals, one is a hunting round and one is for self defense. Load them both up or down as you see fit, but I don't see them as interchangable, although each will take on the role of the other in a pinch. Just my 2 cents!

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 08:12:30 AM »
41 Mangle-um vs the 10mm Short?  ;D

Apples vs oranges?

Quote from: Empty

I like the .41 Mag but will likely never own one as I'm not a big enough pistol-owner to have more than one big bear gun, in a .44.  ::)

But sure nuthin' wrong creating a 'milder' .41 Special load  by those that are doing it!

This might smack of disgressing to some.  But I got lucky and picked up a newly published copy of Mel Tappen's "Survival Guns," which I'd highly recommend.

Some will say Tappen's words are dated, but I'd say not by much!

What I like most about Tappen's book, esp on handguns, is what he defines as a working gun, vs a defensive (or combat) gun.

What you've asked about EmptyQ, is comparing a working gun (your .41) to a defensive gun!

One gun-type is versatile, uses multiple loads/ing that never fail to go BOOM,

versus the other that's best suited to shooting (1) well-chosen, but reliable loading most likely great for plugging two-legged varmints at 20 feet or so.

Some might say what Tappen says/said "is obvious."  But his assertions are clear and well thought out, IMO.

I do BTW, shoot the Glock 23 and prefer a 900+ fps loading in a 180grn pill. 

But if I shot the .41 could see having several loads, based on whether using cast boolits or jacketed pills.

And to simplify things as much as I like to!  Would have ONE (maximum) jacketed load, but two or three cast loads (including one hard-cast hunting/bear load).

90+ percent of the time however, I'd prefer a range load in the 900-1000fps zone, that would lend itself to use in brand new FL cases, or old tired cases as well. 

Somewhere I would have also developed a snakeshot load too.  ;)

And picked up a few .41 tracers if available (emergency signaling if ever necessary  :)  ).

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 08:19:19 AM »
After reading most of the post I got to say get a 10 mm Glock   ;)  more than a 40 less than a 41 m.

Really though the two guns are different so which do you enjoy shooting ? If both down loaded ammo can help get the shooting down pat then move up to full power. Or you may want to carry both loads and only one gun.

BTW I got the 10 mm Glk. after years of carrying 44 mags and 45 Colt guns hunting. Weight ! hate it.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Couger

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 08:19:39 AM »
Quote from: 3030guy
They are two different animals, one is a hunting round and one is for self defense. Load them both up or down as you see fit, but I don't see them as interchangable, although each will take on the role of the other in a pinch. Just my 2 cents!

Basically +1.   ::)   Much less wordy than mauw!

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 02:03:08 PM »
41 Mangle-um vs the 10mm Short?  ;D

Apples vs oranges?

Quote from: Empty

I like the .41 Mag but will likely never own one as I'm not a big enough pistol-owner to have more than one big bear gun, in a .44.  ::)

But sure nuthin' wrong creating a 'milder' .41 Special load  by those that are doing it!

This might smack of disgressing to some.  But I got lucky and picked up a newly published copy of Mel Tappen's "Survival Guns," which I'd highly recommend.

Some will say Tappen's words are dated, but I'd say not by much!

What I like most about Tappen's book, esp on handguns, is what he defines as a working gun, vs a defensive (or combat) gun.

What you've asked about EmptyQ, is comparing a working gun (your .41) to a defensive gun!

One gun-type is versatile, uses multiple loads/ing that never fail to go BOOM,

versus the other that's best suited to shooting (1) well-chosen, but reliable loading most likely great for plugging two-legged varmints at 20 feet or so.

Some might say what Tappen says/said "is obvious."  But his assertions are clear and well thought out, IMO.

I do BTW, shoot the Glock 23 and prefer a 900+ fps loading in a 180grn pill. 

But if I shot the .41 could see having several loads, based on whether using cast boolits or jacketed pills.

And to simplify things as much as I like to!  Would have ONE (maximum) jacketed load, but two or three cast loads (including one hard-cast hunting/bear load).

90+ percent of the time however, I'd prefer a range load in the 900-1000fps zone, that would lend itself to use in brand new FL cases, or old tired cases as well. 

Somewhere I would have also developed a snakeshot load too.  ;)

And picked up a few .41 tracers if available (emergency signaling if ever necessary  :)  ).
This is pretty much where I started this.

I have the .40S&W, actually two of them. I recognized they were primarily defensive weapons. I got to where I could shoot them much better than I ever expected I could. ( which may not be good for some of you ). So I said self what you need is a serious hunting / woods type gun, something that if you shot a deer at 50 yds or better it would know good and well it had been shot.

Enter the .41mag. I'm a bit contrary so a .41mag was an advantage over a .44mag or .357mag. I get to shooting this thing and to be honest most stuff down range has nothing to worry about, collateral damage is what the military would call my shooting skills. Those who profess to know tell me the problem is too hot a loads. So I get the light ones put together and in doing so I compare the .40 and the .41 ... and here I am, asking why I just made up a rimmed .40S&W.

Since my epiphany the snow has blown and the Ruger has sat blissfully in the cabinet. I will practice this summer and figure out what the real problem is. Likely it is me. 

Offline Couger

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 03:16:46 PM »
Quote from: Empty Quiver
This is pretty much where I started this.

I have the .40S&W, actually two of them. I recognized they were primarily defensive weapons. I got to where I could shoot them much better than I ever expected I could. ( which may not be good for some of you ). So I said self what you need is a serious hunting / woods type gun, something that if you shot a deer at 50 yds or better it would know good and well it had been shot.

Enter the .41mag. I'm a bit contrary so a .41mag was an advantage over a .44mag or .357mag. I get to shooting this thing and to be honest most stuff down range has nothing to worry about, collateral damage is what the military would call my shooting skills. Those who profess to know tell me the problem is too hot a loads. So I get the light ones put together and in doing so I compare the .40 and the .41 ... and here I am, asking why I just made up a rimmed .40S&W.

Since my epiphany the snow has blown and the Ruger has sat blissfully in the cabinet. I will practice this summer and figure out what the real problem is. Likely it is me.

You're kool!  And interesting thoughts.

Actually I love what I know about the .41M and enjoyed the few times I've shot one, but since I'll never afford too many rifles or shotguns to move me far enough onto my [redundant, got everything-I-want-list], I know I'll have to be content with a .44M - strictly because its more popular with more abundant ammo possibilities, than the .41M and .45Colt!

I like the .45C too.

But the .44 wins (my) 'choice war' simply because in a pinch or hard times, .44M ammo should (9 times outa 10) be easier to find in scarce, depression or barter economy.  I don't live in country where I need to daily worry about things appropriately shot with such a big wheelgun, but when I grab a sidearm it will often be where the bears (or wolves) like to bite.  ;)

If a fellow has a .41, I think  he's smart and lucky!  And if he reloads, so much the better!

But just so I'm clear, I think for the lower-48 (and certainly my purposes) the .41 would serve me equally as well as the .44, except when scrounging if that was ever a concern and THAT is the only reason I gave-in to choosing the .44mag for a dangerous game sidearm. (in a S&W 329?, if not a M629?).  I have my dad's M27 S&W he carried in Vietnam as a Navy helo pilot, which makes it more of an heirloom, but that M27 will serve well too helping to train my skills gaining proficiency with an S&W N-frame.  ;)

You might have seen some of my other posts;  Like others I like the Glock 23 and Glock 19 - and use both since law enforcement would too, if John Connor & co ever had to repel zombie -invaders.  ::)

And when on a stream or flatlands where bears (and wuffs) aren't likely but a sidearm is still nice, my preferred piece is a rb Service or Speed Six, if not an SP101 I might still have.

Speaking of which; wouldn't it kool if Ruger had made a 5-shot .41M on that Security/Service or Speed six frame!?  8)   I read about one instance where one fellow had such a piece custom-done on a Blackhawk with bird's head grip!

But ..... Do you cast your own boolits, EQ?  If yes, what boolit weight/configuration will you use possibly?  BTW, a couple years ago Starline actually ran and offered a couple 'runs' of .41 Special brass!  Not sure of the status now.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »
I don't cast, a pard does and has offered. I'm collecting lead though, the truck shop saves the wheel weights for me. I do reload and could not afford the .41 if I didn't, it would be as cheap to shoot .300 mag.

My biggest concern in all this is the fact I can't shoot worth a damn with the revolver. Somehow I had convinced myself it would be easier than the auto's. I'll practice this summer and figure it out. I'll likely do most of my shooting with reduced power stuff.

Offline Couger

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 06:54:52 PM »
Quote from: Empty Quiver
...... I'll practice this summer and figure it out. I'll likely do most of my shooting with reduced power stuff.

Sounds good.  Something I'm looking into is an ISSC M22 semi-.22LR => for practicing! 
To mimick my Glocks.

What about adding a Single-Six to your .41M? 
Or an S&W Model 17?  or similar derivative-model?

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 04:17:40 AM »
I don't cast, a pard does and has offered. I'm collecting lead though, the truck shop saves the wheel weights for me. I do reload and could not afford the .41 if I didn't, it would be as cheap to shoot .300 mag.

My biggest concern in all this is the fact I can't shoot worth a damn with the revolver. Somehow I had convinced myself it would be easier than the auto's. I'll practice this summer and figure it out. I'll likely do most of my shooting with reduced power stuff.
When you compare any of the revolver ctgs agains the semi auto versions you will always have a reduced load for the auto.  Even the very first equal was not quite the original.  The 45 ACP was made to douplicate the 45 Colt.  Only not quite.  The colt shoots 250 grains at 900 FPS and the 45 ACP shoots 230 grains at just under 900 FPS. 
Even the great Desert Eagle in 44 mag does not even come close to the 44 out of a revolver.  The gas needed to work the action bleeds off the speed of the bullet.
I guess it matters what you wnat hte gun for.  Hunting would be hard to beat the revolver and I agree with Couger a 22LR version of the same revolver you have will increase you ability with the larger caliber.  Also changing the grips and trying different grips may help you shoot it better.  On this past Sunday we had a revolver part of the steel shoot.  The guys all brought out their wheel guns and we all talked about what we brought and as others wanted to get into a revolver they asked to try different guns and that is when the different grips all strated to make a difference in holding the gun.  I have small hands and like the back strap of the revolver exposed to get my trigger finger closer and make the double action pull easier and smoother.  others have larger hands and like ot have the back strap covered to move their hands back to make the trigger pull easier and smoother, on single action it makes only the tip of your finger on the trigger and less wiggle when you squeeze the trigger. 
I find it odd that some will spend $1,000 or moe on a revolver but not spend $25 to 75 on different grips to make hte revolver fit their hands. 

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 07:32:32 AM »
I am very suspect of the grips. I have a pair of extra large hands as measured by wells lamont. The trigger guard is apt to smash hell out of my knuckle, which does nothing for my confidence. I was looking about 4 months ago for replacements but ADD and ice fishing made me forget that pursuit.

Any suggestions would be readily accepted. I've even wondered if there was a way of putting the SBH grip frame on my NMBH. I'm not interested in spending hundreds on this project. I would simply trade for a super before that.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 07:45:39 AM »
I also have large hands. The trigger guard does smack my fingers too. But it's part of shooting them.

Yes a SBH grip frame will "bolt" right up. And while it is longer earlier models had the squared off trigger guard and most say that bites them more than the round one. IMHO this is why newer SBh had round trigger guards.

SA revolvers are supposed to "roll" in your hand. At the end of the recoil aft the shot the web of your hand is at the base of the hammer with the muzzle skyward. Resisting this either by two handed hold or after market oversized grips can make recoil harder on the shooter. As the rolling motion eats up some of the energy. Remember a SA revolver is generally lighter than its DA counter part.

I think you just need to shoot it more. These revolvers shoot very well, either load appropraite loads or shoot commercial lead offerings. Generally these are not loaded to stiff levels. 

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »
First to master any gun we need  shoot that one gun only.  I made this mistake  years ago i brought too many different handguns to shoot at onetime to the range.  I mastered nothing at that time.
Its been said many times the 41mag will do anything the 44mag will do. The 41mag has less recoil and a tad more penetration over the 44mag
Why down load the 41mag?  Id look for the 41 special brass and load that keeping  magnum brass for the magnum loads.    11czy

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 02:13:58 PM »
I am very suspect of the grips. I have a pair of extra large hands as measured by wells lamont. The trigger guard is apt to smash hell out of my knuckle, which does nothing for my confidence. I was looking about 4 months ago for replacements but ADD and ice fishing made me forget that pursuit.

Any suggestions would be readily accepted. I've even wondered if there was a way of putting the SBH grip frame on my NMBH. I'm not interested in spending hundreds on this project. I would simply trade for a super before that.
Hogue makes a grip that is over sized and fills the gap between the trigger guard and the frame.  I have seen wood grips of similar design but cna not remember where, some may have been custom. 

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 02:22:51 PM »
First to master any gun we need  shoot that one gun only.  I made this mistake  years ago i brought too many different handguns to shoot at onetime to the range.  I mastered nothing at that time.
Its been said many times the 41mag will do anything the 44mag will do. The 41mag has less recoil and a tad more penetration over the 44mag
Why down load the 41mag?  Id look for the 41 special brass and load that keeping  magnum brass for the magnum loads.    11czy
I load a hot 44 special in my 44 mag loads, you can easily tell the difference because I use a copper washed bullet for the plinkers and a jacketed bullet for the mags. 
And when you compare the ballistics of the 41 to the ballistics of the 44 mag load to mag load there is not comaraison.
Yes the down loaded 44 mag in a 210 grain Winchester Silver tip is a ballistic twin to the 41 mag.  Comparing a full load 240 grain to 44 mag takes it far out of the 41 mag class.  Even comparing the 170 grain 41 to the 180 grain 44 has the 41 laging in speed by a few hundred feet.  Kind of like comparing 270 to 300Win Mag. 

Offline Couger

Empty Quiver and the .41 Magnum?
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 12:31:09 PM »

E'Quiver ..... When shooting the .41 Magnum, just wondering if you've considered shooting a DA Smith&Wesson?  Vs. the Ruger designs?

Or would want to?  I'm not a big fan of SA revovlers myself.  But if the only HG's I could buy were Ruger Blackhawks or SBH, I could see owning one or two.

???  ???

Offline Empty Quiver

Re: Empty Quiver and the .41 Magnum?
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 03:55:38 PM »

E'Quiver ..... When shooting the .41 Magnum, just wondering if you've considered shooting a DA Smith&Wesson?  Vs. the Ruger designs?

Or would want to?  I'm not a big fan of SA revovlers myself.  But if the only HG's I could buy were Ruger Blackhawks or SBH, I could see owning one or two.

??? ???
This deal came in a perfect storm sorta way. They had this NMBH and I had a P-225 SIG that I just couldn't bring myself to carry much ( it was too danged nice and I knew someone would appreciate it more than I did ). All said and done I got the NMBH, Dies for the .41, Brass and a pound of powder. I was happy and the other party was happy.

I would have easily gone for a similar deal on a 10mm Glock or a S&W in a .41 or .44. As any of the former would make a nice woods sidearm / hunting handgun. I like the look and can appreciate the potential of what I have. I wasn't exactly expecting to have to learn how to ride this bicycle again... don't know why, I just didn't.

Worse case scenario I run a couple thousand down the pipe and decide to trade. There are worse ways to spend a summer.

Offline Couger

Re: Empty Quiver and the .41 Magnum?
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 01:41:51 AM »
Worse case scenario I run a couple thousand down the pipe and decide to trade. There are worse ways to spend a summer.

Kool!