Author Topic: Handi Compatition  (Read 2678 times)

Offline v8r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Handi Compatition
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »
I like it, but I bet it's expensive.
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
H&R Topper 158 .22 Hornet
H&R Classic Carbine .45 LC
NEF  .357 magnum
H&R "Golden Buffalo" Buffalo Classic 45-70
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 05:28:58 PM »
If y'all would stop missing your critters you wouldn't need an ejector for fast followup shot.
For the type of hunting Sourdough does, he does need a quick follow up shot.  It means the difference between making an extra $800 or not.

Plus try getting that empty out of the chamber in 18 degree weather with your gloves on.  Ain't gonna happen easily.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 06:02:34 PM »
The Rossis I have had are very clever with the ejectors.  They are made so they eject like a H&R does, but if the case is stuck, opening the action further forces the ejector back mechanically to force the round out of the chamber.  My Savage 24 does the same thing.  H&R just skipped the duel function ejector/extractor and went to the extractor only.  When they first introduced it everyone here thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2013, 06:15:12 PM »
I prefer ejectors, I don't have any H&R's with extractors.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »
Knight:  When you have multiple animals, you need to make follow-up shots.  I sometimes run into packs of animals, Wolves and Coyotes, and I want to kill as many as possible.

I do on occasion run into Grizzlies.  While I don't actively hunt Grizzly Bears with a Handi, I  use a pump, semi-auto, or a bolt action for them.  Sometimes the Handi is what I have in my hands when the Grizzly stands up and shows himself.  A good solid heart shot that blows up the heart will not stop him for many seconds.  In that time he can and will take his frustrations out on your body, unless you can follow up with a solid hit on bone.  So a quick follow up shot can mean the difference between a trip to the hospital or a skinning job.  I prefer the skinning job. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 10:38:39 PM »
Sometimes the skinning job can be almost as bad as a trip to the hospital.  A few years ago, first gray light, opening day of deer season a buddy and I stepped out behind the barn and shot two bucks grazing on the field.  Wayne took one with his '06 and I got mine with one of my .308s.  In less than a minute deer season was over and the work began :'( :'(   It's among the dumbest things I have done.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 10:42:39 AM »
Sometimes the skinning job can be almost as bad as a trip to the hospital.  A few years ago, first gray light, opening day of deer season a buddy and I stepped out behind the barn and shot two bucks grazing on the field.  Wayne took one with his '06 and I got mine with one of my .308s.  In less than a minute deer season was over and the work began :'( :'(   It's among the dumbest things I have done.

Pete
Pete,
I know what you mean, though it's not necessarily true, to paraphrase the saying;  "A buck in the frig, is better than two in the field". ;D
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Jeff H

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 03:01:42 PM »
With ejectors, I have the option to let fly or pick the case out out with my fingernails.  Block ejection as described above, but hold your hand close enough and the case bounces off your hand and stays in the chamber.  You have to put your hand there to reload anyway, so no extra time or motion is involved.  Bounce the case off your chest or belly and it falls at your feet.  I get one option with extractors and to me it is the less desirable of the two.  If I were using steel cases, I could sew a magnet to a knuckle on my glove, but with brass, I have to remove the glove - more motion, more time, more aggravation.

As far as being so good that I never need another shot, well, I may be a disappointment to some because I've rarely taken two animals with one shot and I have misjudged range or was fooled by the wind.  The last deer I shot with my muzzle-loader, which is a traditional, authentic-looking percussion-cap rifle with iron sights, the deer turned just as I let the shot off.  It was about 125 yards but I missed and the deer ran but not away, rather to my left.  I reloaded as I repositioned and the deer stopped again right about the time I put the new cap on the nipple.  That reload put that deer in the freezer. 

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »
I may be a disappointment to some because I've rarely taken two animals with one shot 
I have NEVER taken two animals with one shot... I have also never taken one animal with two shots...
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Jeff H

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2013, 04:45:06 PM »
I may be a disappointment to some because I've rarely taken two animals with one shot 
I have NEVER taken two animals with one shot... I have also never taken one animal with two shots...

If I've touched a nerve, it was unintentional and I don't even know which nerve I have touched.   I reread my posts carefully before posting and am am always careful not to word anything that could be taken to be offensive.

Two starlings with one shot - it was a fluke.  Not an accident - a fluke.  The opportunity presented itself as I took a bead on the intended pest.  The actual point is that multiple targets are a viable reason to for a follow-up shot and engaging multiple targets with one projectile is pretty much unrealistic.  I am not sure I understand why you feel it necessary to assert so strongly that you personally have never done so, but I sense that you feel that since you have never done it that it's impossible.  I may have misread the tone in youruse of  all caps in "NEVER."

The point in your assertion that you have never taken two shots to take an animal is lost on me.  I would congratulate you but I sense your statement, within the context of the rest of your post, was presented as a challenge or an insult.  I may be way off base but it's just what I get from your reply.

If I have misread your tone - I sincerely apologize.   

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2013, 05:54:54 PM »

If I've touched a nerve, it was unintentional and I don't even know which nerve I have touched....
Nerve??? I commented on your post... which was itself a comment on previous posts...

Two starlings with one shot - it was a fluke.  Not an accident - a fluke. 
Starling??? I have shot dozens with one shot... 12 gauge #8's... I was talking biggame, which is what I thought you were talking about.

The point in your assertion that you have never taken two shots to take an animal is lost on me.  I would congratulate you but I sense your statement, within the context of the rest of your post, was presented as a challenge or an insult.  I may be way off base but it's just what I get from your reply.

Yes, you are WAY (note the sly use of CAPS) off base... as I don't care enough to challenge or insult you...
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Jeff H

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2013, 04:34:39 AM »

If I've touched a nerve, it was unintentional and I don't even know which nerve I have touched....
Nerve??? I commented on your post... which was itself a comment on previous posts...

Two starlings with one shot - it was a fluke.  Not an accident - a fluke. 
Starling??? I have shot dozens with one shot... 12 gauge #8's... I was talking biggame, which is what I thought you were talking about.

Yes, you are WAY (note the sly use of CAPS) off base... as I don't care enough to challenge or insult you...

My apologies.  I did reference a deer hunt with my muzzle-loader, which was another example regarding how a reload is sometimes necvessary - certainly not meant to be all-inclusive.  The majority of my "hunting" is coyote and woodchuck and are not planned events.  They are almost always under less than ideal conditions.  The point was ejectors v. extractors and the way I use a rifle, ejectors are much preferred.  Not to say they are best for all on all occasions, but they are not bettered by extractors in all uses either.  I did not mentinon that my reference was something even smaller than a woodshuck and failed to specify that I was talking about a rifle (CZ 452 bolt action) when I mentioned the two for one deal but the example was offered as a reason multiple shots can be required.  Again, the actual point was to emphasize that multiple targets warrant a reload.  My post was intended to add to the discussion, not take away from what others contibuted.

"One shot - one kill" may be the crede some subscribe to, taking advantage of multiple targets presents another option.  Neither is the only option and I make no assertion specific to either.  I was trying to be careful not to insult anyone else's beliefs or challenge their stated or implied abilities.  The example of the missed deer - I take credit for my misses, but that one was pure, flat-out luck.  The muzzle-loader is an extreme example to emphasize that reloads and follow-up shots are not out of the question.  I have had many follow up opportunities - and yes, sometimes because I missed.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2013, 05:29:25 PM »
ill be honest i haven't bought a handi in like 5 or so years. their prices kept going up and a cheap bolt action can be had for just a little bit more. bolt actions eject, i wont buy anymore handis but at the same time i wont sell the ejector barrels i have
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 10:50:41 AM »
It has been several years since I bought a Handi rifle for the same reason. I can buy a bolt rifle for the same or less money. The exception is rimmed cases, that a bolt just does not handle well. The levers are still more than a Handi, but the way it is going, they will be about the same in a few years.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2013, 10:58:59 AM »
Ejectors all the way!  Rimfire, centerfire, and shotgun.   ;D

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2013, 11:18:47 AM »
why cant hardly anybody execute a proper schnable these days? It aint like there arent good examples extant.
Oh well, a file, some sandpaper and time......

I generally dislike schnables but the Browning M78 is an exception. I like it.

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2013, 11:28:25 AM »
 I have at least 15 H&R with ejectors. I have one H&R with extractors.  It will be my only one. The only reason I have it is that I gave my ejector equipped specimen to someone who helped me move and did not realize at the time I could not buy a replacement.