Author Topic: BC Stock Refinish?  (Read 560 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
BC Stock Refinish?
« on: February 22, 2004, 04:36:23 PM »
For the past two years, there isn't a stock in my safe that's safe from being stripped, and oil finished. A member of the old Marlin Talk, a gentleman by the handle of BAM BAM, was my refinishing guru. I started with my 1895, then my 1894, Encore, Winch. 94,..... I enjoy doing it, and take pleasure in the final results. The 1894 was a week old when it got the stripper applied. It takes some time, and a lot of patience, but after about forty coats of Tung oil, the walnut stocks are a sight to behold. Well I have had my BC for several weeks, and the can of Citri-strip is calling. I think it's meeting the BC tomorrow. I'll have to get a digital camera so I can show you guys.
Don

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
BC Stock Refinish?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 04:35:53 PM »
BB....Do you have to sand with the Citri-Strip?  How clean does it actually get the stock?  Is it messy?
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
BC Stock Refinish?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 12:48:16 PM »
WNY_Whitetailer,
  I stripped the rifle yesterday. It's just a matter of removing the stock and forearm, and spraying on the Citri-strip. I let it set up for two hours, and then used a fine( tooth brush like) brass brush on it, mostly to clean out the checkering. After brushing it, I sprayed it again, and let it set for another hour. I wiped off the stripper, and then washed it down with paint thinner. I then used the paint thinner with wet and dry sand paper, starting with 200 grit, then 320, 400, and finally 600. Making sure to avoid the checkering, and also to keep the wood and paper wet with the paint thinner. I let it dry overnight, and started filling the grain today. I use the 6oo grit paper dipped in a 4-1 mixture of Tung oil and paint thinner. This get the Tung oil deep into the wood and uses the sandings to fill the grain. I keep adding more Tung oil to the finish, while letting it dry between sandings. I'll do this for about six sandings, and then apply straight Tung oil with lambs wool, and brushed in the checkering. You can also apply this with your hand, applying pressure to the stock as applying the oil and keeping the finished strokes with the grain. I add enough coats to get glass like look to the stock, but you can stop when it meets with your favorite level of gloss. Another nice touch, is to stain the checkering dark, before you start sanding with the oil mixture. It will make the checkering stand out nicely.
Don