Author Topic: Superlight Freebore question  (Read 376 times)

Offline Ruttinbuck

• Trade Count: (0)
Superlight Freebore question
« on: April 12, 2013, 05:05:03 PM »
I just started hand loading for my new 243 win superlight
After measuring the chamber with my stoney point tool and bullet of choice(100 gr hornady sp).
I discover in order to have 25 thou still inside the neck of the brass I have a 30 thou jump to the land of the barrel.
This is my first handi hand loading and I am used to my bullet jump with any bullet other than Barnes being around 5 thou in bolt rifles.
I will test the loads built at 30 thou off and see how the accuracy is,just wondering if this large jump is normal?
Thx RB
Red Comyn of Altyre

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Superlight Freebore question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:43:29 PM »
Longish throats are pretty much the norm for most H&R chamberings, most just load to recommended COL if they can't get close to the lands and are happy with the results. I load the 100gr Speer .010" off the lands at 2.763" in one of my 243 Superlights, shoots good.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 08:17:26 AM »
Now if you didnt have all those fancy tools and had just loaded up some ammo to book specs and shot it with satisfactory results would you care if later you found out it was .030 (or whatever) off the lands. Roy Weatherby made his chambers freebored to keep pressures down and it will do the same for you; I havent heard that Weatherby's dont shoot well (but I ain't heard everything either).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:00:36 AM »
I go the other way on this one... I seat the bullets out long for a shorter jump... Afterall, not being confined to OAL's dictated by magazines is one of the great things about loading for a single shot rifle... My .243's are long in the throat... I use longish 85's, 95's and VLD's... With as little as .185 seating depth... More on the VLD's... My accuracy improved across the board.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Ruttinbuck

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 03:44:40 PM »
thx for all the responses
I will try the SP at the length they are loaded at now and go from there
If I have to go out farther I still have 25 thou inside the neck to play with
This is the part of  reloading I really enjoy and I have until Sept to really find that sweet load
appreciate the input RB
Red Comyn of Altyre