Author Topic: Having choke tubes installed in a 20 gauge  (Read 1615 times)

Offline chillydigits

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gene Pool narrowing...Think about it
Having choke tubes installed in a 20 gauge
« on: March 21, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
After a couple year hiatus from H&Rs, I have a frame on its way to Remington.. I am thinking about having a 22" 20 gauge barrel fit. Has anyone had screw in chokes added to a H&R 20 gauge barrel? I'm thinking of it as my future turkey shotgun for when my shoulder gets tired of the 12 ga thumping. Thanks in advance for any advice.
We have to kill these animals or else they will die, That makes us enviromentalists.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Having choke tubes installed in a 20 gauge
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 01:02:36 AM »
Not being an expert here but I would have a longer barrel fitted if you plan on having  screw in chokes installed.  All barrels tapper down to the muzzle so before you have it tapped for the chokes you have to cut the existing choke off, which means at least 2" but maybe more.  Even if I was planning on a finished 20 inch barrel I would order a 26 inch.  After having it cut to 20 inches it would have all the existing choke cut out plus a little more "meat" for the choke reamer to work with.

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 01:40:23 AM »
If your sending in why not go ahead and get the barrel with screw in chokes?  It would be a lot cheaper and less headache in the long run.  Now if you just picked one up at a pawn shop or in trade or something that is a different story, unless you WANT it to be less than 22".

Offline acgill07

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:51:55 AM »
They dont sell a factory 20 gauge barrel with screw in chokes do they?  I had one cut and tapped last fall.  I am happy with the gun.  Looking forward to dragging it up a few ridges chasing turkeys in about a month.  With the new heavy shot loads in #6s and #7s, 20 gauges can throw respectable patterns for gobblers.

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:35:58 AM »
I got a screw in choke vent rib 20 gs 28" barrel from RemlinHR about four years ago, except it was a 12ga blank bored to 20 ga!!! Hits like a 20 ga carries like a 10 ga....

I also had a 20ga Mod choked barrel fitted for screw in chokes by Mike Orlen in Amherst MA. No need to cut any barrel length off. He opens out the choke and then threads ti any major pattern you choose. I chose Invector. Mine was $35 but that was a few years ago and I had the Shotgun World discount. Expect @ $50 is my guess. Turn around was two days. I sent it on a Monday and had it back on Friday via mail.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 09:33:10 AM »
The link below is to the accessory bbl. page with the list.
Its about the 4th 20Ga. on this list.  28" vent rib FS003344 $84.00

H&R 1871 - Barrel Accessory Program http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

Offline acgill07

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 11:06:17 AM »
I wish they offered a shorter barrel with rib and chokes.  I would take one in 20 and 12.

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »
I had a 12ga cut down to 19" and Colonial choke tubes put in it.  After my friend saw it he had his 20ga cut down to 20" and Colonials put in his as well.  Both came out excellent and work great. FWIW
Tony

Offline wolverine_1

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 06:43:57 PM »
Slightly off topic, but if you have screw in chokes, can you shoot it without the tubes in place (ie, as a cylinder bore) without messing up the threads?
Gene

Offline tony212

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:35:21 PM »
Wolverine, no, you can't shoot them without a choke tube in place. But, if you want an open choke, you just use the most open one you can find.  I know they make improved cylinder and skeet, not sure about straight cylinder.
Tony

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 03:36:35 AM »
Thought about having one done, but with a Modified,a full and a Tracker1 cylinder bore I don't see the need...jist pick up a different gun.. :) Although, I would like to have one with a vent rib and an ole twisty adjustable choke onna front of a 24" barrel.. :P
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline chillydigits

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Gene Pool narrowing...Think about it
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 01:26:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies, My frame and barrels start the return trip home to ohio from ny tomorrow. I have an appointment with my gunsmith sat morning to see about opening the 20 ga. Barrel for chokes.
We have to kill these animals or else they will die, That makes us enviromentalists.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 11:33:03 AM »
Slightly off topic, but if you have screw in chokes, can you shoot it without the tubes in place (ie, as a cylinder bore) without messing up the threads?
I have shot an H&R 10ga 24" choked barrel w/o the tube in place.  I shot lead shot & lead slugs.  I wouldn't try it with steel or any of the really hard water fowl  shot.  Did not damage the threads but you can expect to spend a fair amount of time cleaning the threads before you can reinstall a choke tube. 

There are cylinder choke tubes available for the 10, 12 & 20 ga H&R  barrels.  Browning Invector (not the invector plus) work.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline wolverine_1

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »
Thanks, helpful information. 
Gene

Offline ThomD

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »
Sounds like a fun project.  Myself, I would just load down the 12 ga.  Should pattern and point better than a 20.  Though that is certainly a mater of opinion.

I'm looking to buy a win-choke reamer, and I would like to install chokes into the 12 ga guns.  Up here in Canada we can't get the extra barrels, because the back and forth to the factory thing is way too complicated.  And legally non-gunsmiths can only work on their own guns, but I still think it might work out cheaper than other alternatives.  Anyone done the work.  I;m assuming Win-Choke is best since that is what the factory uses.

Anyone have a reamer that is still in good shape they want to sell (no issues selling tools to canada).

Offline papadave

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 02:34:08 AM »
I just got my 20 gauge Survivor back from the gunsmith last night. Had it d&t for optics and reamed and tapped for True Lock choke tubes. $40.00 ream and tap, $20.00 full choke tube and $24.00 d&t. Put a Tasco 2.5x20 scope on it. Cheek weld with the Survivor stock did not work as planned. Also have a Sightmark reflex sight I am going to try on it. Going to the range on Su. as I am getting it ready for Turkey season opening on 4/10. I will leave a report of how things went and a pic of the finished product.

Offline papadave

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 08:31:30 AM »
Took my NEF 20 gauge out and patterned it with the new choke tubes. Full choke with Win # 5s patterened good out to 25 yds. Wed was my opening day and at 10.00 oclock I had 15 turkeys walk by my blind at 20 yds. Shot a 25 lb tom with a 10" beard. Will post a pic of the finished gun later.