Author Topic: Mossy Oak Gun Skin  (Read 588 times)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Mossy Oak Gun Skin
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:18:30 AM »
I've never cared for the plain black synthetic stocks.  I'm too cheap to have one dipped and I wasn't sure I would be satisfied with a paint job.  I found the Mossy Oak gun skin (this one is Obsession) and bought it off Amazon for $23.  The kit is for the whole gun but I only wanted it for the stock set.  All you need is a heat gun (mine came from Harbor Freight $8), sharp pair of scissors, and an exacto knife or new razor blade.  There's a 10 minute video on their site on how to put the skin on.

The skin is a little slicker than the plain stock but you can still feel the texture.  There are a few places it wrinkled but I expected that.  There is a seam on the stock I think I could have avoided if I'd matched up the two stock pieces so the pattern was closer before I started.  I also learned you need to get all the skin out of the sling post holes otherwise the skin binds when you put them in.  On the next one I will not do the spacer again, it was a pain.  I'll cut it off so it looks like a spacer on a wood forearm.

I'm very happy with the results.  An hour well spent on a Sunday afternoon. :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Mossy Oak Gun Skin
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:30:59 AM »
Looks good, let us know how durable it is.   ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tfranklin7

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (163)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 12:03:45 PM »
Looks great !
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 12:45:51 AM »
Looks real good. Nice way to spruce up the plain black synthetic. From your pics it looks like it came from the factory like that to me.
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 04:16:54 AM »
Dan, I don't care about the camo........where'd the green grass come from.....I need some of that ::)

Seriously, it looks great.  Will it work on pallet wood stocks also?  As Tim asked, do you have any idea of how tough it is?  I'm not hard on stocks....or rifles for that matter.  They're handled with care.  Generally, I'm more concerned with knocking the optics out of whack than I am dinging the stock.  Care for the one takes care of the other.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 06:02:41 AM »
The kits are for any rifle or shotgun so yes it will work on wood.  One of the reviews I read said it ruined the finish on his wood stock so I'd put it on a set of pallet wood that I wouldn't mind refinishing at some point.

My guns get treated more like a guitar than a hammer so I'll never challenge how tough it is.  As compared to my other hunting equipment like packs and jackets I think it will hold up fine.  I put it on a youth 22lr set.  I got my VP out of the safe and leaned them up against my reloading bench so I could handle them side by side over a couple days.  The skin is slicker than a standard stock.  What's strange is it's slick with clean dry hands but it grips easy after wetting my hands.  Not sure what to make of that.  I think I'm going to add a few small strips of skateboard tape on the forearm and pistol grip. 

Considering the factory youth camo stock is about $120 this alternative is working for me.  :)