Author Topic: 38 Special data in .357 Magnum cases  (Read 691 times)

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
38 Special data in .357 Magnum cases
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:00:35 AM »
The question is can I use 38 special data in my .357 magmun cases?

Thanks,

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: 38 Special data in .357 Magnum cases
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:46:48 AM »
Not sure if you intend to shoot these from a 357 Magmum chamber or a 38 Special.  Assuming a 357 Magnum...

C.O.L. should not be problematic.  Bullets may need to be seated deeper.  Low pressure or higher than anticipated pressure may result from a combustion chamber that is longer and more volumetric than the 38 Special. 

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 11:58:45 AM »
Load data is really not hard to get... just use starting data for the .357 and you will be 38 territory.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 12:06:27 PM »
Yes, you can use .38 Special load data in .357 Magnum brass. Your velocities will be lower than listed because the .357 brass case volume is larger. Don't worry about cartridge over all length, just seat bullets to the crimp groove or cannalure.

Offline Zcarp2

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:52:28 AM »
Yes, you can use 38 spc load data for low(er) power loadings.  Compare the powder weights for .357 and 38 spc and they should be the same or slightly lower for the same velocity.  Even the low velocity loads will need some crimp for complete ignition.  Won't need the heavy .357 crimp, but once set, I leave the crimp setting alone for all loads.

The advantage of using .357 brass for the low power loads is not having to clean chambers.  I've seen where a gun shot with lots of 38 spc loads and not cleaned locked up on .357 mag brass.  Had to hammer the cases out.

Enjoy
Zcarp2

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life." - - - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 03:41:21 AM »
The question is can I use 38 special data in my .357 magmun cases?

Thanks,

Froghunter
Yes you can, but why would you want to do that?  It's so much easier and cheaper to just use 38spec cases.  357Mag cases are hard to come by nowadays, and a lot more expensive.

Yes, you can use 38 spc load data for low(er) power loadings.  Compare the powder weights for .357 and 38 spc and they should be the same or slightly lower for the same velocity.  Even the low velocity loads will need some crimp for complete ignition.  Won't need the heavy .357 crimp, but once set, I leave the crimp setting alone for all loads.

The advantage of using .357 brass for the low power loads is not having to clean chambers.  I've seen where a gun shot with lots of 38 spc loads and not cleaned locked up on .357 mag brass.  Had to hammer the cases out.

Enjoy
Just clean the chambers once in a while, and you won't have this problem.  You can shoot quite a bit (1,000's of rounds), before you have to worry about the gun getting so dirty that it causes the gun to lock up.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 02:25:04 AM »
Thanks for the replies and on my way to reloading some .357 loads. Got alot of the cases sized and deprimed last night!

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter