Author Topic: Teach me to shoot slugs in my H&R Pardner?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline offgrid_life

• Trade Count: (0)
Teach me to shoot slugs in my H&R Pardner?
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:11:41 AM »
Some background info:  I can shoot rifles standing offhand from say 50 yards away and hit pop cans.  Open sights.  Where I live and the terrain around me, strict bench rest accuracy is not important. 

For some reason I don't understand, I've tried shooting rifled and on-rifled slugs (no sabots for those are only with rifled barrels) in my H&R Pardner and can't hit a dinner plate at 25 yards.  This is very frustrating to me.  From what I read in the forums, people seem to be able to hit dinner plates from 100 yards using their shotguns without scopes.

Can someone please share with me how to improve my results?  Is there a holdover I'm not getting?  Should I O-ring the shotgun for shooting slugs?

Thank you,
Victor
=====================
"In every society, manufacturing builds the lower middle class. If you give up manufacturing, you end up with haves and have-nots and you get social polarization. The whole lower middle class sinks."

~ Vaclav Smil, Professor Emeritus, University of Manitoba, Canada

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Teach me to shoot slugs in my H&R Pardner?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:16:23 AM »
Go to TARHUNT.COM , they build some of the most accurate slug guns. They have a section on shooting slugs that works. It's worth the short read.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:09:10 AM »
The first thing you have to do is make your body forget it is holding a shotgun.  You must sight down the barrel even though there is no rear sight to guide you.  Shotguns are not normally set up for this and it is kinda uncomfortable at first.  I try to only "see" the rear of the receiver and the bead.  You may even have to "tweak" or bend your barrel to adjust POI.

BW

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:24:45 AM »
your hold has to be secure and repeatable.

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 09:46:14 AM »
are your shots going to the same place each time? if so are you shooting high, low or off to one side? I have found most people shoot high just using a bead sight. attach a set of sights with removable glue to test. if this is a 12 ga you probably won't be able to drill and tap. many guys have epoxied on sights with great results. and yes 100+ yard accurate shots are done everyday with smooth bore and old foster style slugs. no need for rifled barrel and sabot (expensive) slugs at that range. if your shots are all over the place have someone else shoot it. if they can get consistent impacts, then you know the answer.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 09:49:26 AM »
There are magnetic sights the one I tried would get knocked off easy going thru. the woods.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 10:01:03 AM »
you shooting offhand, or
trying to benchrest?
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline offgrid_life

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 04:25:49 PM »
Thanks for replies everyone.

I am shooting offhand and the shots are going high.  The recommendation to place a temporary rear sight is a good one.  I'm going to try that.

In all other respects, I believe I am a decent offhand standing shot.  I have no issues shooting my other rifles.
=====================
"In every society, manufacturing builds the lower middle class. If you give up manufacturing, you end up with haves and have-nots and you get social polarization. The whole lower middle class sinks."

~ Vaclav Smil, Professor Emeritus, University of Manitoba, Canada

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 01:29:38 AM »
First we need to know if you are "dedicating" this shotgun to slugs.  If so by all means get rifle sights on it.  It not, meaning primary function will be to shoot shot just learn where to hold that bead to get it to hit.  My 20 gauge shoots slugs way high (Small muzzle lining up with a large frame) and I just have to aim low.  I'm not going to dedicate my shotgun to slugs when I have three perfectly good rifles that are legal to hunt with in my area.

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 01:31:53 AM »
If all of your shots are going high, try a taller front bead. Try as many different ammo brands as you can afford/get your hands on, one will stand out as "the one" to use in your shotgun. There are lots of "turkey gun" sights out there, if you decide to go that route. Good Luck!

Scott B.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 01:42:20 AM »
being a few inches high in practice on a clear day isn't a bad thing . In the field shooting at game we often shoot low as we try to see more of the deer . And on cloudy days or in heavy timber or such we tend to hold lower to see the target.

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 11:20:49 AM »
your shots are going high for just the reason i stated. you are used to a rear sight and now you don't have one. so you are holding the barrel up seeing more of the front bead than you should because you have no rear sight reference. shoulder the gun and aim, focus on the front bead, notic how much barrel you can see? you should not see any barrel at all just the bead. the simple fix is to put a temporary rear sight on and go shoot it. you will see the difference. Most people wanting to shoot turkey or shoot slugs accurately get a dedicated barrel for those.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 01:41:23 AM »
add a mid barrel bead about half the size of the front bead and learn to align them , most likely a figure 8 will work.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 12:40:26 PM »
Don't know how handy you are, but there is an easy way to buy an 870 barrel and modify your tube to use the shorter Remington barrel tubes.  Then you can buy a smoothbore slugger with sights or a rifled slugger with sights or cantilever scope mounts.  ;)  Doesn't seem like a terribly difficult proposition.  ;)

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79948
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 06:08:14 AM »
Don't know how handy you are, but there is an easy way to buy an 870 barrel and modify your tube to use the shorter Remington barrel tubes.  Then you can buy a smoothbore slugger with sights or a rifled slugger with sights or cantilever scope mounts.  ;)  Doesn't seem like a terribly difficult proposition.  ;)

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79948
[/q
 Add a Carlie rifled tube