Author Topic: Scopes with 3 "turrets"?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Scopes with 3 "turrets"?
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:13:02 PM »
Hi All,
   I've never owned more than a fixed 4x scope in my life. I've noticed some scopes have a 3rd "turret" on them... what is that for?

Anyone care to educate me on the state of affaird in reasonably priced scopes these days?

Have to admit, being largely a handgun guy and milsurp fan, I've never really done much with scopes.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Scopes with 3 "turrets"?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 12:59:00 AM »
its a paralex adjustment (focus) Does the same thing as the ajustable ojectives on other scopes.
blue lives matter

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 01:01:50 AM »
 The 3rd turret is what's often called a "side focus," or "side parallax adjustment." Probably other names too but those are common terms for it.

Here's a nice video explaining parallax...

http://www.burrisoptics.com/video4.html
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 03:01:22 AM »
 Most 3 turret scopes that DON'T have adjustable objectives have the third turret as a switch for a lighted reticule.  J
Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »
The 3rd turret is what's often called a "side focus," or "side parallax adjustment." Probably other names too but those are common terms for it.

Here's a nice video explaining parallax...

http://www.burrisoptics.com/video4.html

I'm familiar with the idea of parallax, to be sure. But not the optical solutions to it, to be sure.

So is some form parallax adjustment standard on most scopes?

Or are there scopes out there that you are actually stuck wondering how far off you are?

Seems like it's a "moving target" sort of problem after watching that vid... at every distance the adjustment has to change?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:42:02 AM »
most rifle scopes have the paralex adjusted to a 100 yards with no way to ajust it. Rimfire scopes are usually set to 50. Black powder scopes to 75. Most scopes 3x9 or smaller dont adust. Its when you get into the 4x12s and up that it is an option.
blue lives matter

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 10:41:20 PM »

I'm familiar with the idea of parallax, to be sure. But not the optical solutions to it, to be sure.

The solutions to it are either a parallax adjustment feature, shooting at the distance a fixed parallax scope is set to, or keeping your eye perfectly aligned with the center of the scope.

Seems like it's a "moving target" sort of problem after watching that vid... at every distance the adjustment has to change?

Yes and no. If one requires precision, the parallax should be adjusted to the distance one is shooting. If only "minute of tin can" accuracy is required, a parallax adjustment isn't really needed under most circumstances.

A simple trick to minimize error with a fixed parallax scope:

1. While sighting, position your eye far enough back from the scope so that a black "ring" appears at the outer edge of the field of view.

2. Center the reticle within this black ring as you take your shot.

The above ensures that your eye is very close to the center line of the scope, minimizing parallax error.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 08:01:23 PM »
A lot of scopes you dial the Objective lens to adjust paralex.  The problem with that is you have to raise your head to see what you are doing when lying prone.  That can give you away, where with side adjustment you don't have to raise your head above the scope.  I will not buy another scope with front adjustment, I only buy side adjustment scopes.  On my Night Force scopes the side adjust knob serves double duty to turn on the lighted crosshairs.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »
You are only going to see the parallax (3 turrets) on the higher magnification scopes.  If you intend to hunt with this kind of scope I find parallax adjustments in a hunting situation it is a waste of money and time.  If you are going to shoot long distance at targets I would say it is a must.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
You are only going to see the parallax (3 turrets) on the higher magnification scopes.  If you intend to hunt with this kind of scope I find parallax adjustments in a hunting situation it is a waste of money and time.  If you are going to shoot long distance at targets I would say it is a must.

I'll be honest, I don't rightly know yet. Scopes are new idea for me mostly. I don't see shooting more than say 200 with my personal skills and an Ruger M77. It's not a bench rest rifle, obviously.

Long time ago... 4x fixed was the "standard" recommendation.

But It's hard to see all those fancy reticles and features and not wonder about them or want to try them. Think kid on candy store.

But I've no idea how practical or important any of them are. I've never felt the need really. Have always wanted a scoped rifle... but more along the lines of "geez, I wish this military style rifle would take a scope without drilling it up."

So I'm just now beginning to grapple with the subject.

I suspect for general use 3x-9x-40 with any decent reticle is fine in all reality.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 01:17:07 PM »
Yes, I agree.  3x9x40 for medium rage shooting is about perfect.  Most my rifles have this and I suggest you take a hard look at the Leupold VX-2 in 3x9x40.  Very nice scopes that last a life time backed by a warranty of a lifetime.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."