Author Topic: load for universal and 310 gr. hardcast 44 mag.  (Read 929 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
load for universal and 310 gr. hardcast 44 mag.
« on: May 03, 2013, 06:40:46 AM »
I have found 1 load searching the web, 7.2 gr. unique, for 950 ish fps. I tried the load with universal, and using an oregon trail 310 gr. flatnose gaschecked bullet, I got mild recoil, no pressure signs, some leading in the barrel, and I don't have a crono, so I dont know the velocity. I have no published max loads for this combo, and am looking for some help determining a cutoff point, and possibly getting a speed with the most minimal leading. slugs are .430, gun is a super blackhawk 4 5/8" barrel. Thanks

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: load for universal and 310 gr. hardcast 44 mag.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 08:20:47 AM »
if you are getting leading   with that slow bullit
check for barrel constriction where it is screwed into the frame

pust a slug through a few times if it get tighter next to the cylender
fire lap it.....rugers  are bad about that

also check the cylender throats
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:13:26 AM »
Gallahad

Check out the attached link.  Universal is a good midrange powder, but not designed for maximum velocities with heavy bullets in a 44 mag.  2400, 296, H-110 would be better suited for that.  Hodgdon lists 10 grains of Universal as a max load using a 325 grain lead SWC, so your 7.2 grain load is safe.

Leading - Like 45/70 said, could be oversized throats, constriction where the barrel screws into the frame, rough bore, etc...  Often times a softer bullet will "slug up", or down, as needed at moderate velocities and minimize leading.  I have owned quite a few revolvers that leaded to some extent, no matter what I did or tried.  As long as it is not severe, and the loads shoot accurately, I can live with it.  Leading in the forcing cone, beginning of the barrel usually indicate a less then optimal bullet fit, leading at the end of the barrel usually indicates bullet lube failure.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:01:59 AM »
Thanks for the info, it is happening from the forcing con & about halfway down the barrel, but is not bad at all. I had originally considered going with a 431 bullet, and probably should have. I have no desire to push any speed limits. looking for @ 950-1000 fps. Thats plenty for deer, and will push through a black bear inside of 20 paces if need be. could  stepping up to 8 gr. help the leading, or make it worse? may or may not have a result on accuracy too. btw, I have tried the h110 and lil gun, and 2400, and found that I had unburnt powder problems and a stuck bullet once. much heavier PERCIEVED recoil for me with the slower powders in a handgun. fell in love with unique & 44 loads when I had a virginian dragoon. universal meters better sooooo. ;)

Offline carlsflh

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 05:26:13 AM »
for mild 310g loads i use a lee 310 gc hard cast behind 7.5 grains of trailboss i get around 800fps. i've been useing trailboss for all my light cast loads.it's a little smokey but meters well and it's so bulky you can't overcharge it .