Author Topic: 7.62x39  (Read 759 times)

Offline publius

• Trade Count: (0)
7.62x39
« on: May 01, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »
Anyone have any "inside info" on whether or not they may start making 7.62x39 barrels again? Would be a great round to supress. I know the .300Whisper/Blackout would be better but brass and dies for the Russian are cheap.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 7.62x39
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 01:38:15 PM »
I seriously doubt it, they were a PITA for H&R repair cuz everyone wanted to shoot cheap milsurp in them which wouldn't reliably fire due to recessed hard primers, that's why they discontinued them, if everyone chose to shoot sporting ammo in them, they prolly would still be making them.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline fullup3

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:29:53 PM »
Believe me or not....I actually got one through the accessory barrel program about 5 or 6 weeks ago.  I called in to order a .357 barrel and asked the guy if they had any.  He said "hold on a minute, let me go check".  The guy came back and sold me one over the phone, and it was sent with my other barrel in my order.   I've tried to duplicate this with multiple calls since then, because these barrels are obviously very desireable and I would like to have another for one of my other receivers.   Every other person I've spoken to when I call in almost acts as if I'm lying until they pull up my order history in the computer...then they just say they don't have a clue how that happened.   Believe it or not!   ;)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 04:55:32 AM »
Believe me or not....I actually got one through the accessory barrel program about 5 or 6 weeks ago.  I called in to order a .357 barrel and asked the guy if they had any.  He said "hold on a minute, let me go check".  The guy came back and sold me one over the phone, and it was sent with my other barrel in my order.   I've tried to duplicate this with multiple calls since then, because these barrels are obviously very desireable and I would like to have another for one of my other receivers.   Every other person I've spoken to when I call in almost acts as if I'm lying until they pull up my order history in the computer...then they just say they don't have a clue how that happened.   Believe it or not!   ;)
You my friend got very, very lucky.  The guy that sold you the barrel under the accessory barrel program, probably got in trouble.

I know because, I tried to get one of those barrels a long while ago.  I spoke to one of the supervisors, can't remember her name (I think it was Lisa), and she told me that H&R only sells the barrels that are listed in the accessory barrels page.  And the 7.62x39 barrel isn't on there.

The 7.62x39 barrel that you got, was only for replacement/repairs on existing 7.62x39 guns.

So do you want to sell it?  ::) ;D
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 05:11:51 AM »
Tim;
  Wasn't there some problem also with varying bore diameters in various makers rifles chambering the 7.62X39 ?

Or was it the ammo which varied in bullet diameter from maker to maker?

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 12:20:34 PM »
Not that I recollect, bores were .310" ish IIRC,  problem was complaints of no fires with milsurp, so they quit making them, everyone that used sporting ammo had no issues. Seems to me someone, maybe Gendoc(?) made a titanium firing pin for his as a work around.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »
Mine has a .310" bore and I have no problems with PRVI brass and handloads... zero misfires. It is an accurate little gun too... took a little tweaking and load testing but it is right where I want it now.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.