Author Topic: .44 Special  (Read 546 times)

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
.44 Special
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:47:35 AM »
I've got a .44 Spl in the Ruger Flattop.  So far, I haven't found a factory hunting round that has decent accuracy, the best coming from DoubleTap, a 180 grain jacketed bullet.  It shoots hard, no doubt, but I keep  looking for a heavy hard cast load.  Digging through my remaining reloading components, I found some 240 grain LaserCast bullets.  I could not find any data for it that fit into my existing supply of powder, except the old 7.5 grains of Unique.  Loaded some of those.   
Is that enough for deer hunting, say up to 40 yards? 

The only other reference I could find that fit my supply was 16.5 grains of Alliant 2400 under that 240 grain bullet.  I loaded a dozen rounds, wondering if that's not way too much for a .44 Special.  What do you think about that load?

My third question is, is Laser Cast made of an alloy that won't foul my Ruger barrel with lead when pushed to whatever velocity 16.5 grains might provide?  I didn't have enough powder, bullets, or primers to start lower. 

Lordy, I'll be happy when the components come back to the stores!   

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: .44 Special
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:05:26 AM »
Can't help with your hunting question (but I think I'd use that load for deer at that distance). but 7.5 Unique is a "classic" load for .44 Special. The key to shooting bullets that won't lead the barrel is bullet to gun fit. Measure (slug or use pin gauges) the cylinder throats and size (or purchase) bullets the same size (ie.; my Ruger SBH has .431" cylinder throats so I size my lead bullets to .431"). This puts my bullets .002" over groove diameter (.429), and gives me clean shooting loads...

MAN, I HATE THOSE POP-UP CHEVY ADS!!!

Offline Singlebarrel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:40:38 AM »
I like Laser Cast bullets in some applications, but they did not work in my 44 Magnum flattop  I had to go to a .432 diameter bullet.  This stopped the fowling and accuracy is really good.  I do not know if this is normal for flattops or just my particular gun.   

Offline theratdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 12:27:10 AM »
 i use 7 grns of 231 lee 250 grn tumble lube bullet very accurate and it doesn't hammer you ;)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 11:42:43 PM »
your 2400 load will be fine in any ruger.
blue lives matter