Author Topic: 380 cal. question on resizing the brass  (Read 473 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
380 cal. question on resizing the brass
« on: May 11, 2013, 02:01:58 PM »
I like to ask a question
I have a set of RCBS dies and the resizing die will not go all the way down on the brass were it meets the rim,I would say maybe short about 1/4"
I did set up the die correct Ram at the top stoke screw Die in until it touches the shell holder lock the lock ring
I did try to see if the bullet will chamber in the barrel seem to stop at the mark on the case 1/4" on the wall before the belt
I did drop the slide and the round did chamber and did extract with no problems
My shell holder is from LEE number #4

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 380 cal. question on resizing the brass
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 03:55:42 PM »
Not that it will help but your setup procedure is not correct for your size die.  You want the ram to the top with the shell holder in place.  Screw the die in until it bottoms out on the shell holder.  Then lower the ram and run the die down an eighth to a quarter turn more and then lock the ring.  You have to feel a firm rock over when the press handle is all the way down.  As it is explained in all loading manuals, this is to take out all the stretch in the press frame allowing you to actually full length rather than partial size as you have been doing.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: 380 cal. question on resizing the brass
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:23:18 AM »
...   I have a set of RCBS dies and the resizing die will not go all the way down on the brass were it meets the rim,I would say maybe short about 1/4"
I did set up the die correct Ram at the top stoke screw Die in until it touches the shell holder lock the lock ring ...

Read the directions for adjusting the F/L die.  Old Syko has it correct.
Not that it will help but your setup procedure is not correct for your size die. You want the ram to the top with the shell holder in place.  Screw the die in until it bottoms out on the shell holder.  Then lower the ram and run the die down an eighth to a quarter turn more and then lock the ring.  You have to feel a firm rock over when the press handle is all the way down.  As it is explained in all loading manuals, this is to take out all the stretch in the press frame allowing you to actually full length rather than partial size as you have been doing.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.