Author Topic: Cast Bullet questions.  (Read 1680 times)

Offline JohnDY

• Trade Count: (0)
Cast Bullet questions.
« on: February 26, 2004, 05:33:54 AM »
I decided to get back into reloading. Most of my reloading gear was stolen out my garage so I have ordered all new Lee equipment from Cabelas and it should be here in a few days. I have also bought a bunch of 165-grain .309 cast bullets. All I have left to get is powder and primers.

I have a few questions. First, since I going to use cast bullets do I need a special expansion die or will the standard die set work? Does Lee make a special die for cast bullets?

I going to first try the cast bullets in my 30/30 handi. So my second question is what is your favorite cast bullet load for the 30/30?

After I get a load developed for my Handi my next project will be to get a cast bullet load worked for my father's war trophy Japanese Type 99. The gun should be real fun with cast bullets and will be a little more affordable to shot. I'm going to try resizing either .30/06 or 8mm brass to avoid buying Norma.
JohnDY

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
Cast Bullet questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 06:28:27 AM »
John,  I got good results in my 30-30 handi by loading 150 gr cast FP bullets over IMR 4227.  My load was right around the starting level.  Never chroned them but they shot nicely at 50 yards.  The bullets were from Bonus Bullet of Canon City CO.  Mid Kansas has a bullet that looks identical in their catalog.

Check out the LBT bullet forum on this site for some good cast bullet info.  If you buy Veral Smiths book it will change your whole outlook on shooting cast bullets!

Offline Leftoverdj

Cast Bullet questions.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 06:46:53 AM »
Lee has just started selling what it calls the "Universal Case Expanding Die". It's really an adjustable belling tool to flare the case mouth a bit so you can seat cast bullets without shaving. You can do the same job by forcing any handy tapered round object into the case mouth but the Lee gadget should be a little easier to use and more uniform.

You did not say if your bullets are gaschecked. If they are, 20 grains of either XMP-5744 or 4198 is a good place to start. If they are not, try 7.0 grains of Unique.

Now would be a good time to slug your Type 99. They vary considerably in bore size and, if you need something odd to make it work, you have your .30-30 project to play with while you are waiting.  Check to see if the bore is chrome plated. The earlier ones are and are much better quality overall. If your's ain't, you might wanna get it thoroughly checked before shooting it.

Lee offers a pretty good range of sizing dies and will make you a custom size for $25. With any luck at all, one mould and two sizers will feed both the .30-30 and the 7.7. You're pretty much gonna have to cast to feed the 7.7 unless you are really lucky in the bore size.

Cases formed from -06 or 8mm are likely to be a bit small in the base for the chamber of the 7.7. (Again, considerable variation exists.) I would be hesitant to use such cases for full power loads, but they work fine for moderate cast bullet loads. One tip is to put a wrap of tape around the base of the case before fireforming. This holds the case centered in an oversized chamber so case expansion is uniform rather than bulged on one side.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
Cast Bullet questions.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 07:45:40 AM »
Also, to tag onto DJ's post, check with Graf on the Jap brass.  They are offering a wide range of milsurp brass and the 7.7 may have be available from them.

Offline ogemakw

Cast Bullet questions.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 08:58:52 AM »
While on the topic of 30-30 and cast bullets, can anyone tell me what the change in point of impact might be like between factory 170 gr jacketed and 165gr cast loaded with 7-10 gr unique???   thanks, Ogemakw