Author Topic: j stevens model 58A bolt action modification...?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline warbler

• Trade Count: (0)
j stevens model 58A bolt action modification...?
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:12:10 AM »
    found my dad's ole Stevens bolt action 410 when he was 10, parts can be found but limited.. as it is cross ref. to savage Springfield and fox this is a  J Stevens model 58 A 410  bolt action 2 round clip not a lot of info... out there no serial numbers although, i can  approx. the date to sub 1939.

i have a screw in smooth bore barrel ....? when i was cleaning it i found this out... full choke proofed barrel shoots  all shells marked 2 1/2 -3 " ...i have recently watched a video where they stress tested  the action and barrel of a breach break open 410 with different rounds including metal case's high pressure... some over size-ed rounds in metal case  very high pressures in a low pressure shotgun....actually  did well, no damage to gun...what ever fit was used in the chamber...i have a few questions most if not all did fine, in the barrel freak gun i know you are not to do this in low pressure shotguns , most key holed the target...has anyone ever done this with a smooth bore bolt ?

will extractors work and will the bolt action hold up to the stress's? i'm a novice when it comes to this kind of stuff learning  as i go along...and can you shoot any other round? without an sub-gage insert ...accurate? is there a rifled barrel for this 410 shotgun... i found one, HBBS, but it fits the encore type receiver, i would think a bolt action would be stronger ...but the bolt just slide forward an the lever locks the round in position

although it dose not lock into the action like a high powered A  bolt type... i did find out it was used as a training weapon in the military... has any one converted or modified this model 410 and or bolt to do anything different.... be nice to modify  into a 22lr or s&w .40 -38 pistol cal? or .357 thinking minds wondering.... after further investigation it is highly advised to do this in low pressure shot guns sounds like you might get a bolt to the face ...from back pressure build up!

thanks

Offline rhythmco

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: j stevens model 58A bolt action modification...?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 09:38:52 PM »
hi friend! Did you ever go anywhere with this project? i have a j stevens 58 i think is 1939 as well!! i would think the easiest swap would be for 45lc with some kind of adaptor on the bolt face? would love to know what ever became of this!

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 03:42:58 AM »
hi friend! Did you ever go anywhere with this project? i have a j stevens 58 i think is 1939 as well!! i would think the easiest swap would be for 45lc with some kind of adaptor on the bolt face? would love to know what ever became of this!
Welcome to GBO reloaded.
Someone with more knowledge than me will have to answer your question.
Maybe one will come along.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 05:29:48 AM »
I would have to agree 45 Colt would probably be the best conversion. This is a low pressure type of action.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.