Author Topic: Surplus Powder  (Read 690 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Surplus Powder
« on: February 18, 2004, 11:07:26 PM »
Well as most of you know, Badnews Bob and I just got back a couple days ago with our first batches of surplus powder to try out.  I loaded up 9 357 Max with the AA1680 equivalent and 180gr SSPs for groups later and one extra just to shoot tonight to see how it shot.  
The load range for that bullet according to the info at the Accurate site is 23.9 - 26.5gr.  I decided to start on the mild side of the middle with 25.0gr.  Whew ! I fired that extra load I made and that primer was flat, real flat, not flowing into the firing pin hole but much hotter than I normally load.  

No harm done, but the moral of the story for those dabbling with them is:

Surplus powder equivalents are not "equivalents", they are "approximates".  Start at the bottom, mildest, STARTING loads and work up.  (that seems to be a repeating theme that I have repeatedly ignored with commercial powder unfortunately)  

Shoot safe,
Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline .308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Surplus Powder
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 04:01:55 AM »
Thanks H/H, That's what I'd call 'need to know' info. I'd like to get my hands on some of that surplus powder, be glad to split an order with someone but nobody is close.  :(  :wink:

Offline Haywire Haywood

Surplus Powder
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 06:43:20 AM »
Quote from: .308
Thanks H/H, That's what I'd call 'need to know' info. I'd like to get my hands on some of that surplus powder, be glad to split an order with someone but nobody is close.

Where abouts in Ga are ya located?  I grew up in Dublin, and make occasional trips down there to see family.  If you aren't too far off I-16 south of macon or I-75 north of Macon, mebbe we can work something out.

Ian

usually...

Offline .308

• Contributor
Surplus Powder
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 09:06:25 AM »

Where abouts in Ga are ya located?  I grew up in Dublin, and make occasional trips down there to see family.  If you aren't too far off I-16 south of macon or I-75 north of Macon, mebbe we can work something out.

Ian  

Have you ever heard of Canton, GA. It's approx. 35/40 miles north of Atlanta. There's a little interstate hwy. that runs off I-75 right thru Canton, I-575. If it worked out, shoot I'd meet you somewhere on I-75 at one of the exits say near Cartersville or Calhoun. But that would be a mighty big favor to ask, wouldn't feel right asking. Tempting though. :wink: Heck I'd drive out to meet you just to shake your hand and say howdy. :D

Offline Haywire Haywood

Surplus Powder
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 03:25:47 PM »
Heck, that's only 20 miles off the interstate.  If we go for more powder before I come down next time I'll drop you a PM.

Ian

usually...

Offline JPH45

Surplus Powder
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 02:08:44 PM »
This thread is getting interesting, I'm only 60 miles from 308, and 45 miles off I-75, the Adairsvile exit.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Haywire Haywood

Surplus Powder
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 06:12:38 PM »
Hehe, we can have our own Waffle House powder swap meet.   :grin:

Ian

usually...