Author Topic: 357 resize and gas check?  (Read 437 times)

Offline cwilbanks

• Trade Count: (1)
357 resize and gas check?
« on: June 02, 2013, 05:06:51 AM »
I recently ordered some cast 357 Mag bullets that are sized to 358.  I have decided to put gas checks on them, so when I do, should I resize them to 357 or is 358 still ok?  I know I should have the barrel slugged.  Im new to this and my question is even if the bore is true 357 will shooting a gas checked 358 cast bullet cause any damage or excessive wear?

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: 357 resize and gas check?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 06:09:12 AM »
Without knowing your cylinder throat and bore diameter, its an educated guess as to optimal bullet diameter.  .358 is considered standard for a cast 357 mag / 38 spl lead bullet, and will not harm any in-spec, or close to in-spec gun.  When you adjust a cast bullets size up or down a couple .001's, or add a gas check, it is in search of top accuracy and to minimize leading.  It has no real effect on gun wear or pressure as long as standard book loads are being used.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: 357 resize and gas check?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:36:44 AM »
I recently ordered some cast 357 Mag bullets that are sized to 358. I have decided to put gas checks on them, so when I do, should I resize them to 357 or is 358 still ok?  I know I should have the barrel slugged.  Im new to this and my question is even if the bore is true 357 will shooting a gas checked 358 cast bullet cause any damage or excessive wear?

I've got to ask , were these bullets designed for a GC or are they just plain based bullets ? The reason I ask is that most Comm sold bullets that are designed for a GC come with them already installed .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped