Which brand is your favorite?

Bushnell
Moultrie
Stealth Cam
Leaf River
Cuddeback
Reconyx
HCO Scoutgard

Author Topic: POLL: Favorite Trail Camera?  (Read 3478 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
POLL: Favorite Trail Camera?
« on: November 07, 2009, 02:19:23 PM »
Please post a response to your vote explaining which exact model is your favorite and why.

I like the Moultrie D40. ;) It is inexpensive and easy to set-up.  Pictures aren't the greatest, but good enough to tell deer are traveling along certain routes.

Please let me know if I left-out any brands.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline deerhuntertyler

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: POLL: Favorite Trail Camera?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »
i own a cuddeback capture IR, cuddeback capture, and a Bushnell bone collector trophy cam. They are all really nice, but i would never buy another one with flash. Sure, some deer stick around, but some don't and seam to never come back. Most deer do notice the cameras, even the IR ones, but it doesn't seem to spook them. Both the cuddebacks and bushnell trail cams have there advantages. Some of the things i like about the cuddeback over the Bushnell are; easier/simpler setup, faster trigger speed, and the bearsafe they make for it is of much better design then the Bushnell baresafe. Some of the things the Bushnell has over the cuddebacks are; about $50 cheaper, offered in camouflage (the bone collector edition), selectable picture quality for either better pictures or more picture captivity or in between, much longer battery life and cheaper batteries (AA vs. D), smaller (less noticeable to mainly thieves but also game), and larger memory card captivity (16gb Vs. 2 GB)
If its worth doing, Its worth doing right!

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 02:04:46 AM »
Well finally getting my first trail camera. my buddy has used them for years
I plan on using on state land. So didn't want to invest too much and have a chance on it getting stolen. Found a Tasco 3mp trail camera at Nachez for $60
Hopefully it's here before Saturday and it functions well enough!

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 04:54:42 AM »
I have a Moultre Game Spy 200, a Stealth I590 (STC-AD3), & a Stealth STC-1540IR. I like the Stealth I590 better than the other two because it has more range. The Moultre is eaiser to set up but the pictures aren't as good because of the shorter range. I would not recomend the Stealth STC-1540IR at all. It is difficult to set up and takes lousy pictures.
I have never noticed a problem with the flash. It does seem to startle the deer but they keep coming back. I've had several pictures of the same deer. Plus the IR camera only takes B&W pictures at night.

Of the ones I have I prefer the Stealth I590.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline RKrodle

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:13:56 AM »
I like the new Primos cams that are out now. I have one Primos Truth Cam X and 2 Truth Cam 60's and a Predator Traileye IR. They have good reaction time and good battery life so far. The Predator isn't as fast on the reaction time but is faster on the follow up shots if using the burst mode. The Predator also has a very good quality picture that can be blown up for close up detail, the Primos's not so much. Between me and my hunting partners we have 5 Primos out and so for no problems. The Truth Cam X's have a built in viewing screen but it's pretty small for my eyes. The Predator is the oddball out but is a good cam just not real good for trails because of the slower trigger speed, it stays setup for food plots and feeders.

Offline jpred1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 03:33:25 PM »
ive recently started using the hco scoutguard and simply love it. It has changed everything about a trail cam. I average 150-200 pics a week on feeder areas and in 2 weeks most have dead batteries or 60% or less. The lil scout doesnt appear to used 10% in 2 weeks on 8 aa s. Also it send me a sorta grainy pic in text mode to my phone instantly on every pic. The sd card holds the 5 mp pics for later viewing. But Im 800 miles from the cam and get to see in live action whats happening for 9.99 a month from att .Very neat !!! No more waiting 2 weeks to see where I wanna hunt when I get home.Here is a text I recieved today, just some doe but, still.
Still dreaming of that Boone and Crocket Pistol Kill!!!

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »
 I was going to start a poll concerning trail cameras but I see it has been done…

I had a Moultrie and it lasted about 1.5 years and the display went wacky and it was taking overexposed pics…

I sent it back for the display to be fixed and they checked the overexposure problem.  Said it was my fault as I didn’t know how to set the camera up!  It had been I the same place the entire time and didn’t take overexposed pics until I sent if back for that problem…

They fixed the display but it still take/took overexposed pics…

It is now in the bushes, nonfunctional by my own hands…

I am now looking for another one—not Moultrie for sure…

Was thinking Bushnell or Reconyx.  Bushnell is less expensive but does not give the date, time and other info with the pic…

Anyone have any other new comments as this is an older thread…

Thanks…BCB

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »
Well finally getting my first trail camera. my buddy has used them for years
I plan on using on state land. So didn't want to invest too much and have a chance on it getting stolen. Found a Tasco 3mp trail camera at Nachez for $60
Hopefully it's here before Saturday and it functions well enough!
That cheap Tasco is a good one, time, date, easy on batteries, pretty simple for monitoring deer movement.  I have multiple photos of multiple bucks with flash at night, doesn't affect them.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 08:39:48 AM »

I was thinking just today that a whole website could/ should be created all about trail cams. There's a lot to learn about them and some of them take pretty good pictures.

If I had one that would send me pictures on my cell phone that would be really cool. Of course it might stop a thief if he knew you already had his picture.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline digs68

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 04:22:08 AM »
I was going to start a poll concerning trail cameras but I see it has been done…

I had a Moultrie and it lasted about 1.5 years and the display went wacky and it was taking overexposed pics…

I sent it back for the display to be fixed and they checked the overexposure problem.  Said it was my fault as I didn’t know how to set the camera up!  It had been I the same place the entire time and didn’t take overexposed pics until I sent if back for that problem…

They fixed the display but it still take/took overexposed pics…

It is now in the bushes, nonfunctional by my own hands…

I am now looking for another one—not Moultrie for sure…

Was thinking Bushnell or Reconyx.  Bushnell is less expensive but does not give the date, time and other info with the pic…

Anyone have any other new comments as this is an older thread…

Thanks…BCB

Bushnells do give time & date stamps. They're on the bottom of the picture. I have two of the Trophy Cams and really like them! One set of batteries last all year long unless you use the video mode.

Offline digs68

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 04:39:00 AM »
My preference is the Bushnell Trophy Cams. I've had pretty good luck with them, they're small, and easy to use. I really like using the AA batteries vs bigger ones and battery life is phenomenal! I recently called Bushnell because I noticed a slight amount of moisture inside the camera after a recent rain. The door gasket is going bad. I think the extreme hot summer we had dried and cracked it. They told me to keep the camera (Don't bother sending it in) and they are sending me a brand new 2012 model as a replacement for my troubles. I thought this was exceptional customer service!My brother has a bunch of trail cameras (nearly every major brand). His favorite is the Reconyx but they're very expensive & not practical for us average income guys. He has recently purchased a couple of the Moultrie M-80's and, so far, really likes
them. They are inexpensive, very similar to the Trophy Cam (He thinks M-80 might even have slightly better picture quality), and seem to be reliable. His next choice is the Trophy Cam. He thinks Cuddebacks are overrated, over-advertised, & doesn't care much for them. He also told me he will n ever buy another Primos brand of trail camera again. Ever! He said they are basically junk & have a very high fail rate (His lasted an average of a year then either quit completely, or screen went blank, etc.). I'm intrigued by his high praise of the Moultrie M-80's though & plan to purchase one of my own soon & see how I like it.
Well, that's mine & my brother's 2 cents! Thanks!

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 05:28:19 AM »
I have a SpyPoint IRA and a Wild Game Innovations N8D. The SpyPoint is a decent camera, overall. Good quality photos and video, and a reasonably fast trigger time. The WGI takes good quality photos, but the trigger is a little slow. As a result, I have a lot of photos of the back half of a deer. It does a good job of catching any deer that are following. I usually try to place it so deer approach it head-on, but that's not an easy thing to do. I didn't see SpyPoint on the list, but I'd definitely buy another one. The WGI, probably not.

Offline Jay HHI6818

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 04:59:48 PM »
I have two Moultries and they take great pictures.
One is the Moultrie Game Spy D55-IRXT Infrared and the other is an older model not made anymore. Don't remember the model

Link to more pics.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107821683717323430221/TrailCamApr27?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLBzYCLgfD0_QE