Author Topic: Sights off  (Read 1174 times)

Offline BobJ

• Trade Count: (0)
Sights off
« on: January 28, 2013, 10:43:04 AM »
Just got a new 1861 Navy from DGW. After 100 or so shots, it still groups 3-1/2" to the RIGHT at 25 yds, holding steady thru four shooting sessions.

High I am used to. Right, what can you do about that when the barrel is integral with the frame? Did the math, the sight is off .043".

I love the gun, run 20 GR. 3f and durofelt wad with Gatofeo #1 & Rem #11s. So far, groups run around 3 to 3-1/2". BUT I CAN'T HIT NUTHIN'!!

Offline goodshot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Sights off
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 04:36:22 AM »
I have an older 1851 Navy with a dovetailed front sight. that would help more that the "el cheapo" bead stuck in a hole.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:10:29 AM »
Generally the sight picture can be improved by opening up the hammer notch. If you widen it on just the left side only you will get some windage correction as well. The off-center notch may seem a bit unsightly (no pun intended) but only you will see it and only when the hammer is cocked. The casehardened hammer may be too hard to file, in that case use a Dremel tool cut-off wheel.  The other alternative is to dovetail in a new front sight. That is more work but allows for future adjustment if ever needed and a taller front sight will correct for elevation as well.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline BobJ

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »
I filed my hammer notch as I always do for a better sight picture. And, little to the left, too, but I don't have enough hammer to correct.

The dovetailed sight makes sense. I love the correct vintage look on my guns, but it's not worth it if I can't hit anything. Shooting high I'm used to, and it's self-correcting the farther out I go. If I was drawing down on Wild Bill Hickock at 75 yards across the square here in Springfield, MO, I would hold dead on. Of course, I would probably end up buried here beside Dave Tutt, too. Can't handle this Kentucky windage thing, the further away the worse it gets.

Will drop by my gunsmith's and see what I can work out.

Offline goodshot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 03:52:53 PM »
Don't think the creator of the video will mind if I share this.
Kind of answered some questions I had also.
Thanks a heap for sharing,
Best wishes :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wcfAFxsfqA0

Offline goodshot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »
How is the crown?

Offline BobJ

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 11:18:40 AM »
The crown is a 45 deg. cut, or chamfer. Looks smooth without burs, need more magnification.

Offline Sargent Capnball

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 01:05:59 PM »
Bob J, I've been shooting for years, but am new to black powder. Started with the 1851 Navy and really do like it. Shooting 25 grains of Pyrodex P at 61 yards, the sites on my Traditions were dead on. At 15 - 25 yards shooting 20 grains it shot about 10" high and 6" left. To correct it, I cut the V notch hammer to a square opening with a new Dremmel cut-off wheel. I went to the right and down a little at a time till it was hitting where it should at 25 yards.  Now that it's dialed in it shoots better then I do.

PAT
If you really want me to do something, just tell me it can't be done!