Author Topic: Scored a few reloading supplies today  (Read 857 times)

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
Scored a few reloading supplies today
« on: May 13, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
I may well be shooting the AR after all. Picked up a brick of primers today at Cabelas. I hated the thought of not being able to reload any spent ammo, without reducing inventory below unacceptable levels.

I also found brass for the .325WSM as well as some 200gr Accubonds for the same. Scored on .41 brass last week as well. All my redheaded stepchildren are looking good these days ;D .

Is this a sign of relief, or simply good timing?
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
Re: Scored a few reloading supplies today
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »
I was at the mother store- Bass Pro in Springfield- over the weekend, they had ZERO powder, not ONE pound of anything. Very few primers (hundreds), and 90% of the bullet shelves were empty, you could have some 416's or something. They had plenty of shotshell ammo- a lot of it turkey loads- but almost no wads, shotshell primers, or hulls. Even the loading dies were almost sold out. I find that I am most likely to find a stash in some little out of the way LGS that has not been hit by the crush. I would guess .... LUCK. I don't see much abatement going on yet.

1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:25:29 PM »
Got a thousand large and a thousand small rifle primers at SW last week. Know a LGS that has some powder, primers and several ar's. Things are seem to be getting better in Virginia. Don

Offline FPH

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 06:30:51 PM »
In my area it would be considered pure luck.....we have very little powder, very little brass and very few bullets (only odd stuff of all).  Primers are the only resource that's not scarce.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 10:21:42 PM »
I scored 3 more boxes of .224 bullets today.  All Hornady 1 box 40g V-max and 2 boxes BTHP match.  There was a 2 box limit and I'm hoping to score 2 more boxes of BTHP match tomorrow.  Even if I don't I now have 3 boxes of BTHP's on hand and I think that will last me all shooting this summer out of my .223 and I have enough bullets for the Hornet for years...

I have several hundred .224 45g Remington bulk bullets that I'm also going to try in my Howa .223.  It's a nice looking rifle and I hope it shoots as well as it looks. 

Tony

Offline glockmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 07:01:51 AM »
Fellow GBO'ers, for your information, anyone coming through the Sedalia, Mo. area, stop by Sierra Bullets. They have a good stock of most bullets in their Outlet Store, good prices also. Bullets sold by the pound, 1 lb. of 55grain .224 for $14 and change, that's 120 slugs. If you come my way, PM me and I will show you the way to Sierra, take care, John.
It's not what you do, but how you do what you do, that counts.
Just keep on keeping on!

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 08:11:39 AM »
I've noticed some sprinklings on powder valley's website. Got to be quick though.

glockmeister thanks for the heads up. I'll be up that way in July and may just drop by there.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline FPH

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 08:15:58 AM »
Fellow GBO'ers, for your information, anyone coming through the Sedalia, Mo. area, stop by Sierra Bullets. They have a good stock of most bullets in their Outlet Store, good prices also. Bullets sold by the pound, 1 lb. of 55grain .224 for $14 and change, that's 120 slugs. If you come my way, PM me and I will show you the way to Sierra, take care, John.

Thanks for your generous offer.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 11:46:14 AM »
A couple years ago I drove by the Siera factory once a week for eighteen months. Little good it did me then, or now.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 04:35:12 PM »
I don't know if it's still like that but you used to be able to stop in at the Nosler factory and by bullets that they sold as blems for less than half price.  I had a friend that was a forest ranger and he got over that way once a month and would pick up bullets for me.  I was rather broke back then or I would have bought a bunch more.  Anyway neither of us could find anything blem about them.  The weigh was consistent and they looked and shot great. 

I still have a 100 180g .308 partitions I bought for a pig hunt that I never got to take.  I hope to shoot a few of those at an elk this year...

Tony

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 06:29:40 PM »
Geezer, Nosler was well stocked about 5 mo ago. I walked down there on my lunch hour the other day and the only bullets in the pro shop were a box of 30 cal 180gr partitions made in the 60's they had in a display case. They had some of their custom brass in stock but that was it.

They said they were running at capacity and were not even close to meeting demand.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 01:56:49 PM »
I'm glad to hear they still sell locally but I'm not surprised that they're out...  I expect the hoarding to last 6 months to a year beyond the end of the threat...

Tony

Offline FPH

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 02:00:47 PM »
I have found no bullets (except lead fee) in the last 6 months.  I did find some pistol ammo yesterday......not at those prices.....I'm still good.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »
A friend of mine watches out for reloading stuff in his part of Alabama and I do the same in mine. A while back we both needed large pistol primers and he also needed some IMR3031. I found both in my area. I was needing some small pistol primers and he found some in his area. With what I already have, the brick of primers I'll get from him in the morning will hold me for a good while. Hopefully until at least most of this crap that's been going on calms down a bit.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.