Author Topic: Flaring for cast bullets  (Read 575 times)

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Flaring for cast bullets
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:04:58 AM »
As the search function is not working, does anyone recall a universal die available to flare the mouths of cartridges for cast bullet use? Cartridges like the .22 Hornet will not accept them without shaving. I am sure that this was discussed once before but I did not take notes. Should have! I finally got the chance to try the load in a T/C Contender 10", and it did less than an inch at fifty yards. Think I'll keep it! Thanks for any help.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Flaring for cast bullets
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:08:19 AM »
A pair of needle nose pliers is a universal tool, any tool like a tapered punch will flare the case mouth a little, the Lyman M die works great although I've not use one for the hornet, just 35 cal and bigger.

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/794181/lyman-neck-expander-m-die-22-hornet
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline wolverine_1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 04:27:25 AM »
I have one which, if I remember right, is made by Lee. Has pieces for both smaller dia. cases and for larger dia. cases.
Gene

Offline Iowa Fox

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:34:56 AM »
If you are serious about the best accuracy from your cast bullet loads get the correct Lyman M die for the case. The Hornet uses its own unique to that case M die. I have the Lee universal which will flare the mouth of a case but will not expand the neck which is what is needed for cast bullets. If you are looking for the best cast performance forget everything you know about jacketed bullets.

Offline greenrivers

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:47:50 PM »
Thanks Quickdtoo, I have been using a swaging punch that works, but would rather have a die that is correct for the case. I thought about making one to screw into the press but if available the M die even if specific to caliber will do. The Hornet is likely the only .22 caliber that I will use the cast in anyway. Groups under an inch at fifty yards from a scoped handgun and rest are good accuracy for theses old eyes! I can live with that. Thanks for the help guys. I had called both Midway and Brownell's this morning and asking for a universal must have confused the issue.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 05:03:20 PM »
You have a PM.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 05:05:09 PM »
+1 for what Iowa Fox said. Get the Lyman M Die. It correctly expands the neck and adds the proper flare.

Offline tomme boy

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »
Rcbs make a neck expanding die. You can buy different mandrels for different size of expansion that are needed. They work way better than the M dies. I have switched over to them entirely.

Offline greenrivers

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 12:42:30 AM »
Thanks Tim. DONE.