Author Topic: Hunting with a silencer in Indiana...soon a reality??!!  (Read 1339 times)

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Hunting with a silencer in Indiana...soon a reality??!!
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Indiana Senate will ponder the use of suppressors while hunting.  http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/3/indiana-nra-backed-pro-hunting-reform-bill-to-receive-consideration-on-senate-floor-tomorrow.aspx?s=&st=10478&ps=

Looks like we could see an increase in the Ruger 77/44 that would be ideal for deer with a heavy subsonic bullet. 

Still would need to get a federal approval (tax stamp I believe) that amounts to $200 plus a six month wait. 

Perhaps a nice bolt 22 lr would get a make over and become a great squirell getter!  Possibilities.....

With all the changes Indiana makes I wonder if the Gov. ownes a gun store?

Regards,
Fred

Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Hunting with a silencer in Indiana...soon a reality??!!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:49:59 PM »
We can cross our fingers but I'll be surprised if it passes.  If it does pass we would have the screwiest hunting laws in the country.  You cannot hunt deer with a rifle caliber, but you can hunt with certain pistol calibers shot from a rifle with a suppressor.   :o

Offline HappyHunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:10:37 AM »
I mentioned using a 44 mag in OP because it is an ideal canidate for a suppressor.  For best results subsonic speed is required (less than 1088 fps at 32 degree farenheight), and a heavy bullet will increase killing potential....sound like a 44 mag to me.  Furthermore a bolt action or other locked breech will force gas thru suppressor creating best results.

This being said one could still suppress a semi auto or revolver if desired, results would be less effective.  But to each his/her own.

I believe this will pass in some form or another...likely be a year or two before it happens in real life.  I will post any new developments of this as I hear them. 

Any body have an inside track on this topic?

Regards,

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 09:09:22 AM »
No inside track at all but a knowledge of the way things have been going with Indiana lawmakers.  We have people who have things moving in the right direction with our gun rights at this time and should consider ourselves very fortunate.  There have been many changes made to some of our more antiquated laws in recent years and as long as we show our support for those who are making it happen there is no reason it shouldn't continue.

A contender pistol chambered to 300 Whisper, suppressed, would make for an unreal deer gun.  Ever see a 44Mag suppressed lever gun?  Might be ugly and strange but effective.

Offline HappyHunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 12:51:05 PM »
Well it passed the state Senate  40-9!  This is the link:  http://www.nraila.org/search.aspx?s=indiana&sort=date

Next is the house....(then my house).

This is a link to a 77/44 with intergal silencer, the cycling of the bolt is louder than firing the gun!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI6aCnh-99o

Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 03:55:46 PM »
Did this become law?  Are silencers legal for hunting? 

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 04:55:07 PM »
Well... yep we can hunt with suppressors beginning July 1, 2013.  WHOOO HOOO!

http://www.dickclarklaw.com/news/indianasilencerhuntingbillsignedintolaw

Offline HappyHunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 12:57:16 AM »
This is law.

When a Ruger 77-44 rifle currently legal for hunting is reworked for a integral suppressor the barrel is made shorter than 16 inches.....is this now legal?   

The overall length of barrel and silencer is longer than original barrel (3 inches longer).

It is a lot of money to rework a rifle with an integral suppressor, I need to be certain it is legal for hunting!

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 03:17:16 AM »
My understanding is that it is legal as long as the suppressor is permanently afixed as part of the barrel and cannot be easily removed or disassembled.  Otherwise you have a SBR which requires more paperwork and a stamp.  This is just my understanding and should be valued the same as the price you paid for it.   ;)   

Offline Dinny

• Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 08:55:02 AM »
This news is yet another reason for me to retire to IN. 8 more years in the Army actually means I will feel 16 years older. :( Oh well, I'll be happy hunting with no ear plugs.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 10:09:19 AM »
I have read where suppressors have been the norm in Europe for quite a few years now. They are considered more polite even.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**