Author Topic: Well, the roof repairs are underway.  (Read 839 times)

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
Well, the roof repairs are underway.
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »
Well Guys,

After six months of planning, the roof repairs are underway.

Bad pieces of decking are being replaced with B/C APA Exterior Plywood, at $30 a sheet.  (Not the "Exposure 1" stuff.)

They are being fastened down with Senco Weatherex Duraspin #8 screws, approved for use in hurricane alley Florida.

The screw holes are being being pre-drilled with a 7/64th bit, six inches long with four inches of fluting.  Although the underlying rafters (tops of trusses) are as hard as iron, with the long bit, the pre-drilling really goes fast.  One guy drills a row, then another comes behind and drives the screws with a regular battery powered drill/driver.  They go in really tight.

No banging with hammers.  No nail guns.  No clumbsy drill-drive guns with coiled screws hanging from them. No split, splintered or shattered rafters.  And no "missing" the rafter along a four foot section because the idiot bounced the nail gun along the wrong line.

Once the plywood sheet is set in place, it takes about 8 to 10 minutes to pre-drill and screw down the whole sheet.

For  every sheet over the number I specified in the contract, they are charging me $65 a sheet.

So far, so good.  I'll let you know if I run into any problems.  ( I have a couple of boxes of 8d galvanized ring shank nails standing by.)

Thanks for all of the advice you have previously given me  on this project.

Regards, Mannyrock

Not a single piece of split wood in my rafters.  Not banging