Author Topic: Long Tom.... Revisited  (Read 1824 times)

Offline MTNMAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Long Tom.... Revisited
« on: February 20, 2004, 03:52:45 AM »
Does anyone remember H&R's Long Tom that good Ol' 36" 12 gauge Turkey Thumper they produced...

Bein' this is a smoke pole forum what say we try to get them to make an in-line 12 gauge Turkey Thumper...

Now I'd like to see at least a 28" barrel smoothe bore with Screw-in-chokes, vent rib, camo stock and foregrip, sling and swivels, big Ol' cushy butt pad and at least fiber optics if not an additional cantilever scope mount... Same Ol Same Ol 209 primers & carriers and of course a better ramrod...  Bein' we're kinda awaitin' the snow to melt and bein' in between seasons an Ol' Guys got the right to do a Lil' Dreamin' dontcha think....

Anybody workin' up a load yet???... MTNMAN :grin:
Patience comes with age & you can't teach common sense

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 04:52:52 AM »
Thats it MTNMAN, I can't take it anymore, report to induction at H&R/NEF 0800 hours tomorrow, tell them I said to sign you up!!  You can reside and work out of NY after boot camp, tell them I said it's OK. Your ideas are just to good to let go!!!....<><.... :D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Primer

• Avid Poster
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 05:01:06 AM »
MTNMAN,

Don't remember H&R's Long Tom. Must have been pre one shot mindset that I seem to enjoy so much of late.
I would be thrilled to see them make a 12 ga front stuffin Turkey Thumper!  Was looking at a White 12 ga w/vent rib and gotta admit it was love at first sight.
Being that I enjoy H&R's offerings so much, there would be no further struggle with a "buy" decission.

Your description of the ideal Turkey Thumper is exactly what I also have in mind. (Been also drooling over the new Topper Deluxe and thinking of how it would fit into my turkey hunt plans).

Have nerer shot a muzzy scattergun, so don't have a clue for best loads. Would hopefully be a load to closely mimic the Premium 3" Federal Mags with copper plated #6 shot. :roll: Probably WAY too much to ask for though,but my current outside mental marker is about 40 yards before trigger squeeze comes into play. ( Yelp,yelp,purrrrr....Kabooom!  :grin: )

Offline MTNMAN

• Avid Poster
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 05:21:40 AM »
Up until about '87 you could still get the 36" FULL barrel in the Barrel program... If my memory serves me correctly it was chambered 3" but I never used anything over 2 3/4 #5's in it...

Sad part is they use to make a smooth bore muzzy back in the 70's with a push in breech plug...sure would like to see them rei-nvent the wheel with a screw in breech plug... Betcha it be a little cheaper than that White :grin:

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 05:25:30 AM »
I've watched several hunting shows where they hunted turkeys with a muzzleloading shotgun and thought that it looked like a lot of fun.

I've started looking at different muzzleloading shotguns in different mags (Cabelas, Basspro etc) wondering what it would take money wise to get into blackpowder shotgunning.  

Having H&R offer a turkey thumper (I think that even sounds like a heck of a name/model for it) would be jsut the ticket I think.

Maybe we should start getting our emails out to H&R about this??
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 06:38:15 AM »
Maybe I fell and hit my head, but is there a reason someone can't take a NEF shotgun barrel and drill and tap the chamber for a breach plug?  If ther 12 gauge chamber is too big for a a breech plug would a 20 gauge chamber work?

Oh, the way my head hurts right now I think I fell and hit my head.  I'm going to go find some ibuprophen.  Tension/sinus headache...  I'm probably talking crazy talk right now, if so, I'm sorry.  :(

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline MTNMAN

• Avid Poster
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 06:48:25 AM »
Scruffy,
I figure they'd put one out for between $39-$59 bucks... Let them do the Hard work... Less head aches, less drugs, more time to enjoy life that way....MTNMAN :)

Then again there's that Good Ol' Stand-bye right between the 12 and 20 called a 16.... Have ya given that any thought... Drop 2 more and call me in the mornin' 8)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 06:58:13 AM »
Dumb Question, how about taking a fired 3 or 3.5" 12 gauge shell, just barely trimming off the crimp, resizing and priming the shell, putting it into you 12 Gauge, adding black powder or BP substitute, add overwad, shot and another overwad, presto, a 12 Gauge ML. Not legal in ML only areas because it is still a firearm, but, would it work???
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 07:08:22 AM »
So there's no reason why you can't drill and tap a chamber for a breech plug?  If not, I really like the sweet 16 idea.  Too bad only the 12 comes with screw in chokes....

On the pushen breech plug they used to have, could, or did, you load the muzzy from the breech end and then insert the breech plug and close it up?

Hmmm, if you had a huntsman, had nef put a shotgun barrel on it. Hmmm.

$59.00 - 12 gauge 24" barrel with screw in turkey choke
$ 9.99  - Remington replacement scew in breech plug
$20.00 - Drill and tap chamber

$88.99 - NEF 28" huntsman shotgun.

Hmmmm.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 07:13:04 AM »
Scruffy, that works!

I didn't trim the crimp area though.  just loaded with black powder and used regular plastic wads.  70 to 90 gr of Pyro RS worked fine.  Loaded in 12 ga lee loader and crimped as usual.  Also loaded lee's 12 gauge 1 oz slugs the same way.

Shot in an H&R Topper 12 gauge.

Lots of smoke :)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 07:30:41 AM »
I think a 12GA front stuffer would be a perfect addition to my gun safe.  I could sent in my Huntsman receiver, stock and forearm and have H&R mount a bp shotgun barrel.  Just think of the possibilities.  My wife will love it  :shock: ...Umm, maybe not.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Primer

• Avid Poster
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 08:22:22 AM »
Um,maybe not..... That I surely understand!

Geez, inthe last 48 hrs I have been lusting for a Topper Deluxe 12 ga vent rib with genuine american walnut stock  :wink:  and a H&R front stuffer 12 ga,decked out fully for Tom foolery!

You folks are corrupting me for sure  :shock: ,....at least that's what I'm going to tell my wife. :roll:  :)

Oh, forgot to mention the 26" Sidekick w/Williams metal sights. Ohhh No.
( I may not be able to come here to play anymore. )

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2004, 02:14:25 PM »
You people have to much time on your hands  :o  dang I would like to have one too.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2004, 06:46:29 AM »
If H&R payed any attention to the old forums they would have already come out with a mz shotgun. I think that might have been my first post on the old forum. I know that MTNMAN was the first one o respond to my post. They colud sell a bunch of them just offering them as a special order item through thier website.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Avid Poster
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2004, 12:51:37 AM »
MSP Ret;
Thats an interesting possibility....i understand the resizing of the brass for ejection...... but why trim the crimp off?
i think it would work with.......SAFE LOADS bp or bp subsititute you could never build up as much chamber pressure as the 3.5 mag load.
but you would probably get some blow back fouling around the brass.

COOL IDEA
TCB
[/quote]

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2004, 02:25:40 AM »
Tcallbuilder, I was thinking not so much as reloading shells with BP but with sealing the chamber end with a spent reprimed shell and loading through the muzzle end!!  Perhaps the resizing should not be done, just reprime and push  the fired shotgun shell into the chamber. The reason for cutting off the crimp was that if loaded from the muzzle end the crimp might be a bit constricted and the loose powder and shot might catch on the end of the crimp, also I was interested in avoiding the forceing cone area just froward of the chamber and having a nice smooth easy transition from shell mouth the barrel. You are right though, the blow by might be a problem. Just a thought, I might do it some day and tie an old shotgun to a tire to try it, could be fun!!!....<><>.... :grin:

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Avid Poster
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2004, 12:02:30 PM »
MSP Ret
i see what you mean about the crimp.....i thought you were going to cut the plastic off at the top of the brass.....then trim the brass.
sorry i didnt read your post good enough.

one more (catch) i didnt think of is;
if you plug the chamber with a primed shotgun shell......then you will be loading from the muzzel end with a live primer loaded.

pouring powder, shot,wads etc. down atop a live primer....might not be the safest thing.

not tring to give ya a hard time.......just something to think about.

TCB

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Long Tom.... Revisited
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2004, 12:10:24 PM »
You are right on that issue regarding the live primer Tcall, these are thoughts only at this time,  but I might just go and do it when the weather gets better....<><.... :)