Author Topic: cheek weld on scoped gun...  (Read 1090 times)

Offline MAN - GA

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
cheek weld on scoped gun...
« on: May 22, 2013, 09:35:24 AM »
The only H&R I own that wears a scope is my Huntsman.  I know this is the "centerfire" forum, but my question is concerning the cheek weld and figured there is more folks in the centerfire forum shooting scoped guns so here goes.  The Huntsman has a pallet wood MC stock and it still feels uncomfortable  when I have the gun in firing position because my cheek is not firmly planted on the stock - I have trimmed down the hammer and have the lowest possible scope rings (Leupold rifleman series).  I don't have this problem on bolt guns and believe the problem to lie in the angle of buttstock at the receiver mounting point.  I have a head forward down tight shooting position from shooting alot of shotguns as a kid, but this is what feels natural to me.  I have tried some slip over the stock neoprene cartridge carriers and inserted small pieces of foam & boat trailer bunk carpet under to rais my cheek, but this makes the top of the stock fat causing me to lean over the stock to get in line with scope.  Does anyone else have this problem and what did you do to rectify.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: cheek weld on scoped gun...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 02:05:16 PM »
I dont go hard on cheek pressure its a lightish touch to not induce any torque, same with my grip. The idea for me is to get the buttstock square into my shoulder and guide the front with the forward hand, a firm enough grip on it for the recoil of the cartridge and the cheek contact is to be where I feel it just as my eye is looking right through the scope. Its there for a 'point of reference' thing, not any kind of support.
I suggest you try keeping your head more erect and tipping your head slightly to the gun rather than 'crowding' the stock in a head forward manor as many do.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 06:18:53 PM »
I have found those leather lace on cheeckpieces from Cabelas works well...

I have one on my 270 Ruger, and my Muzzleloader.

gonna get one of each size soon, so I can tell what fits best, then buy that size.

Offline mogwai

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 02:36:37 AM »
I used about 4"of pipe insulation and vet wrap to raise the comb on my Marlin Outfitter. Just trim to your specs

Offline MulberryRiverBoy

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
Everybody beat me to the punch.   I was going to suggest just what mogwai did.   Also, I was reminded by Nanuk... of the lace on cheek pad.   I haven't seen the Cabela's one, but there is a company that advertises regularly in the Shotgun News that sells a very nice reproduction U.S. WWII version.   I think they were originally  for the M1 sniper rifle, but, because they are a lace on they would fit any gun, I imagine.

Back to mogwai, for a second.   A few years ago I sprained my ankle and as the doctor's nurse was wrapping it, I noticed that it was some really neat material that I had never seen before.   I asked her what it was, and she told me it was called Coban (short for cohesive bandage).   She went on to tell me I would need a roll of it and that the price was outrageous at a drug store but I could get it at any farm supply store as it was used to wrap horses legs.

When I went to pick some up I discovered that it could get it in colors from white to hot pink to black/white zebra stripe, to camo.   I wrap a couple of my rifles with it and alternate to the season.   The zebra stripe is great winter camo.   It is cheap and easy to change and leaves no residue.

I'm sure most of you know what Coban or vet wrap, is but I'm just posting this for anyone that does not know about this very useful stuff.

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 12:16:32 PM »
Back to mogwai, for a second.   A few years ago I sprained my ankle.... told me it was called Coban (short for cohesive bandage).  ... I could get it at any farm supply store ....
When I went to pick some up I discovered that it could get it in colors from white to hot pink to black/white zebra stripe, to camo.   I wrap a couple of my rifles with it and alternate to the season.   The zebra stripe is great winter camo.   It is cheap and easy to change and leaves no residue.

Too Kewl!

I'm gonna look into that!

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 04:14:37 PM »
Thanks MRB : I knew what Coban was, but have never heard of it as "Vet wrap". Learn sumpin' new every day ;) . thanks for the location info also. God Bless to all and theirs. ;D

GOF

PS: MRB---did you wrap your ankle with HOT PINK :o or Camo 8) . Bet it would of looked good with Zebra ::) .

Offline MulberryRiverBoy

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 05:14:53 PM »
Plain ol' tan.   I wasn't very brave.

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 05:26:39 PM »

I got one of these for my SideKick.  Works well.  Never thought of dying an elastic ankle wrap but that would work.

http://www.beartooth-products.com/shop/comb-raising-kits/-comb-raising-kit-brown.html

Offline MAN - GA

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 02:45:26 AM »
Thanks gentlemen for the replies - I have tried the Beartooth comb raising kit with some success, but this is what I referenced as making it feel like my face was pushed off center of the scope.  I think I'll try a combination of the suggestions till I get something that feels comfortable to me.
THANKS

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 02:59:49 AM »
This past Fall I put eighteen bullets into six targets with my Handi Superlight .243.  All were within 2.5 inches.  I forgot to mention it was at 300 yards. That was with a standard Camo Lam Monte Carlo stock.  You might add 72 year old eyes and shakes.  I don't get the big deal.  The factory stocks work fine for me.  I don't get cheek weld off my hip and I've shot more than one critter from there.  I guess if all you do is punch paper, that's fine.  I seldom get the opportunity.....it's shoot now or forget it.  "Forget the cheek weld Pete.  Stop wobbling and shoot."

mogwai, not to be rude, but that setup you have may work, however, it is butt ugly and I wouldn't butcher one of my rifles with it.  There are better ways to get a higher stock.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 05:50:16 AM »
I should mention that this 'cheek weld' is a misnomer and not what most target shooters I know use. We want light, but consistent, contact that does not throw a shot off due to uneven pressures imparted by the shooter.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 07:55:48 AM »
I should mention that this 'cheek weld' is a misnomer and not what most target shooters I know use. We want light, but consistent, contact that does not throw a shot off due to uneven pressures imparted by the shooter.

I agree entirely.  That's why a standard MC stock works fine for me.  I don't do well with a straight stock on a rifle.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline MulberryRiverBoy

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 02:26:23 PM »
To me, "cheek weld" never enters my mind, unless I'm shooting a rifle with a scope that is mounted too high.   I have shot a few rifles (of other people) that had the scope mounted so high my cheek had nothing to rest against.   this is not conducive to good shooting.

I went back and looked at Mogwai's picture of his buttstock.   A tiny portion of his eyepiece is in the picture frame, and although I can't see the barrel and am being forced to make a guess here, It looks too high to me.

Mogwai, have you considered a lower set of rings?   Might solve you problem.

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
I like to have my cheekbone against the stock, to steady my head

when I have to weld my jaw to the stock, it feels very wobbly.

that is why I really don't like the Handi in its normal fashion, with the scope ocular lens over the hammer.....   scope has to be far too high. 

it may work OK if I raise up the comb, but have yet to try it...  I instead favour extension rings, and a fixed 2.5x20 scope mounted just ahead of the hammer...  as low as I can get.

Offline mogwai

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 07:43:59 PM »

mogwai, not to be rude, but that setup you have may work, however, it is butt ugly and I wouldn't butcher one of my rifles with it.  There are better ways to get a higher stock.

Pete
I offered an inexpensive solution that can quickly be changed back to original condition.  Cost me about $4 and works great.  I wouldn't call it butchering. 

The scope is housed in low rings.  Could get lower with a couple high priced rings, but this works very well.

Cheap, Ugly & Effective... I thought that was a Handi rifle.

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 05:58:59 AM »
I made a new stock with a roll-over cheek piece, several in fact. Several other members have one of my stocks, that we traded for.

"skin that 'en out and I'll get ye nother"