Author Topic: Post up your shorties  (Read 3161 times)

Offline bdo

• Trade Count: (0)
Post up your shorties
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:29:39 PM »
Seems like there has been a fair amout of shorty projects so I thought maybe we could get a thread together where everyone can post up some of their pictures and share some of their ideas.

I guess I should start. Below I have attached a picture of my 20 gauge shorty and its soon to be 12 gauge shorty big brother. I just picked up the 12 from a pawn shop that had it listed on gunbroker with a description that it was in fair condition. The pictures were for the wrong gun though so I think it detered others from bidding. Knowing what I was thinking of doing to it I threw out a low bid and it stuck. $43.99 out the door and a new project begins.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: Post up your shorties
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 04:35:14 PM »
Wow, the 20 looks almost too short next to the 12. What the barrel length and overall length of the 20?

The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline bdo

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »
Barrel is 18.75 and the overall is 26.5.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 04:42:13 AM »
while not truly a shorty since the barrel was not actually cut.  Just a youth 20 gauge that I put an adult stock on and reshaped it to English style.  Barrel is 22" and overall shotgun is 37.5.  Weight BTW is 5 Lbs even.  I love it though.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:25:47 PM »

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
This is a tamer 20ga with red lam stocks.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 02:21:30 AM »
What's the barrel length on that Tamer Markus?  All 20's so far.

Offline Missourian

• Show Me.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »
Still working on my modified single shot NEF Pardner 12 gauge.

I've  had this shotgun for almost 20 years,  and I hardly ever used it anymore,  so I decided to convert it to a knock around truck/canoe/backpacking gun.

I shortened the barrel to 18.5  inches, Tapped it for Winchoke choke  tubes,  and added a Tru Glo sight.  It already had the limbsaver.

I  patterned it at the range on Saturday,  and it is perfect...with #7.5 shot 2.75 inch shells it put 90% of the pattern in a 30" circle at 55 yards thru a turkey choke and 90% @ 30 yards with modified choke.

It  performed equally well with #4 and #1 buckshot in 2.75,  but I think I  will need low recoil #1 buckshot and slugs,  cuz it kicks like a mule at  only 3 pounds in overall weight.

I think I'm going to add a Survivor Series forend.  It has storage for choke tubes and a 12 gauge to 20 gauge adapter.

Also looking at making a leather and Kydex shell holder and weave a paracord sling...we'll see.

NEF 30/30 Handi-Rifle
NEF .17 HMR Handi-Rifle
NEF 12 Gauge Pardner Pump
NEF 12 Gauge Pardner

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 04:24:46 PM »
Barrel length for the tamer is 20"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 04:44:53 PM »

I've  had this shotgun for almost 20 years,  and I hardly ever used it anymore,  so I decided to convert it to a knock around truck/canoe/backpacking gun.

I shortened the barrel to 18.5  inches, Tapped it for Winchoke choke  tubes,  and added a Tru Glo sight.  It already had the limbsaver.

I  patterned it at the range on Saturday,  and it is perfect...with #7.5 shot 2.75 inch shells it put 90% of the pattern in a 30" circle at 55 yards thru a turkey choke and 90% @ 30 yards with modified choke.

It  performed equally well with #4 and #1 buckshot in 2.75,  but I think I  will need low recoil #1 buckshot and slugs,  cuz it kicks like a mule at  only 3 pounds in overall weight.

I think I'm going to add a Survivor Series forend.  It has storage for choke tubes and a 12 gauge to 20 gauge adapter.

Also looking at making a leather and Kydex shell holder and weave a paracord sling...we'll see.

Missourian,
 You mentioned you tapped your barrel for the Win choke system. Did you do that on a lathe or just threaded it through the front of the barrel?
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Missourian

• Show Me.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 05:26:51 PM »

Missourian,
 You mentioned you tapped your barrel for the Win choke system. Did you do that on a lathe or just threaded it through the front of the barrel?

It was done on the lathe by my local gunsmith...$70 to ream and tap for Winchoke...$90 at Bass Pro in Springfield,  and they throw in a choke tube. 

My Pardner Pump is Winchoke,  so I had plenty of choke tubes already.

Quite a bit of material from inside the barrel was removed to accommodate the Winchoke...I'd say at least half of the original barrel wall was cut away.

It is my understanding that this can be done by hand and that the barrel metal is relatively soft,  and I enjoy the satisfaction that is earned by completing a new and difficult task with ones own hands...but it this circumstance I was concerned that I could make a mistake that with a 18.5 inch barrel,  there was no room to correct.

If I was going to attempt this project again,  I would cut the barrel to 21 or 22 inches,  then rent the reamer and tap set,  so if I made a mistake,  I had room to rectify it.

NEF 30/30 Handi-Rifle
NEF .17 HMR Handi-Rifle
NEF 12 Gauge Pardner

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 08:51:06 AM »

Missourian,

It was done on the lathe by my local gunsmith...$70 to ream and tap for Winchoke...$90 at Bass Pro in Springfield,  and they throw in a choke tube. 

Quite a bit of material from inside the barrel was removed to accommodate the Winchoke...I'd say at least half of the original barrel wall was cut away.

It is my understanding that this can be done by hand and that the barrel metal is relatively soft,  and I enjoy the satisfaction that is earned by completing a new and difficult task with ones own hands...but it this circumstance I was concerned that I could make a mistake that with a 18.5 inch barrel,  there was no room to correct.

If I was going to attempt this project again,  I would cut the barrel to 21 or 22 inches,  then rent the reamer and tap set,  so if I made a mistake,  I had room to rectify it.
Missourian,
 I have encountered a barrel shortening problem! Although it is not a H&R barrel. The problem is with a old Marlin Goose Gun that I am trying to have the barrel shortened from 34" back to 26"! This is a 10  gauge and naturally once the barrel has been shortened you are left with a 26" cylinder bore. In order to get any decent range and patterns a choke is required. These barrels are supposedly pressed to fit into the receiver whie the receiver is very hot. This barrel with receiver can be fitted on to one of the lathes at the Gunsmithing school here at the Lakewood, Colorado gunsmithing school. Unfortunately they do no have a 10 gauge reamer. Thus my question about how you got your barrel reamed for your choke system? I was thinking about as you mentioned this might be able to be done by hand.
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline Missourian

• Show Me.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »

Missourian,

Missourian,
 I have encountered a barrel shortening problem! Although it is not a H&R barrel. The problem is with a old Marlin Goose Gun that I am trying to have the barrel shortened from 34" back to 26"! This is a 10  gauge and naturally once the barrel has been shortened you are left with a 26" cylinder bore. In order to get any decent range and patterns a choke is required. These barrels are supposedly pressed to fit into the receiver whie the receiver is very hot. This barrel with receiver can be fitted on to one of the lathes at the Gunsmithing school here at the Lakewood, Colorado gunsmithing school. Unfortunately they do no have a 10 gauge reamer. Thus my question about how you got your barrel reamed for your choke system? I was thinking about as you mentioned this might be able to be done by hand.

Here are a couple of links that may help you:

http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=7719

http://www.gunreports.com/special_reports/long_guns/screw-in-chokes-shotguns-choke-tubes4577-1.html

I looked at the 4D Rental site and they don't list a 10 gauge reamer/tap set on their products page.

You might want to shoot them an e-mail and see if they have any recommendations.

NEF 30/30 Handi-Rifle
NEF .17 HMR Handi-Rifle
NEF 12 Gauge Pardner

Offline Missourian

• Show Me.
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 04:16:53 PM »
Here is a 10 gauge reamer,  but no pilot bushing.   http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121541/baker-adjustable-reamer-size-e-718-to-781-diameter-for-12-and-10-gauge-choke-alterations

Didn't see a pilot bushing though.
NEF 30/30 Handi-Rifle
NEF .17 HMR Handi-Rifle
NEF 12 Gauge Pardner

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »
Thanks a bunch Missourian!
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline Missourian

• Show Me.
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 05:23:37 PM »
Thanks a bunch Missourian!

My pleasure. 
NEF 30/30 Handi-Rifle
NEF .17 HMR Handi-Rifle
NEF 12 Gauge Pardner

Offline cgoff

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 03:13:16 PM »
12 gauge with barrel cut to 19".  I jb welded some rifle sights to it.  painted the barrel flat black and painted the stock with a textured paint. 

Offline 1greg

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 06:21:46 AM »
Missourian

can you post a picture of your Tru Glo sight as mounted ?
and the part number also.

I like the look of your shorty and want some thing similar.

Does it hit on at the different ranges with the Tru Glo sight ? is their a back sight ?

P.S. I shoot a 12ga Slugger I with Federal 1¼ oz Slugs, longest kill (whitetail) about 85 yards a few @ 70 and some closer…but, when the hammer drops while practicing I notice it will brakeopen my grip on the gun. BOOM and the H&R is just hovering in my grip, it don’t float your shoulder though…more than 5 rounds and I have a headache rest of the day. Never needed that many shots in the Deer or Turkey woods !

God Bless ya'll

Greg

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." --Galileo Galilei

Offline Missourian

• Show Me.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 10:35:47 AM »
Missourian

can you post a picture of your Tru Glo sight as mounted ?
and the part number also.

I like the look of your shorty and want some thing similar.

Does it hit on at the different ranges with the Tru Glo sight ? is their a back sight ?

P.S. I shoot a 12ga Slugger I with Federal 1¼ oz Slugs, longest kill (whitetail) about 85 yards a few @ 70 and some closer…but, when the hammer drops while practicing I notice it will brakeopen my grip on the gun. BOOM and the H&R is just hovering in my grip, it don’t float your shoulder though…more than 5 rounds and I have a headache rest of the day. Never needed that many shots in the Deer or Turkey woods !

Greg -

The one I used was a older version of this one -  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/119586/truglo-gobble-dot-turkey-sight-set-universal-fits-shotgun-with-vent-rib-fiber-optic-dual-color-red-green-front-green-notched-rear

These sights are applied with adhesive.  I didn't really trust what came on them,  so I used some Black Max additionally.  Be sure to clean the barrel well with alcohol.

I rough sighted it in with a small keychain flashlight loaded into the chamber...with the flashlight on,  the light pattern on the wall gave me a good idea of the center of my pattern.

The range I use has patterning from 20 to 60 yards,  and it was spot on with shot,  my POA was directly in the center of my pattern.  I did not try any slugs.

Here are some pics:

NEF 30/30 Handi-Rifle
NEF .17 HMR Handi-Rifle
NEF 12 Gauge Pardner

Offline 1greg

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 04:28:11 PM »
Missourian  Thank you, the pictures helped a lot.  I hadn’t picked up on the rear sight being installed on your shortie.  It looks real good and is something that I can put to good use.

Thanks again for your detailed help
God Bless ya'll

Greg

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." --Galileo Galilei

Offline Missourian

• Show Me.
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »
Missourian  Thank you, the pictures helped a lot.  I hadn’t picked up on the rear sight being installed on your shortie.  It looks real good and is something that I can put to good use.

Thanks again for your detailed help

My pleasure.

Check out Cgoff's sights,  too.
NEF 30/30 Handi-Rifle
NEF .17 HMR Handi-Rifle
NEF 12 Gauge Pardner

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »
Here is mine, 20" 20 guage drilled for a scope. I dura coated it too for a no nonsense all weather smooth bore deer slug gun.
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 01:49:11 AM »
With that picture, you can't argue with success cattleskinner.

Offline fistmil

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 01:51:01 AM »
Not actually a shorty, but shortened buy removing the choked end. The over all length is 36" and the barrel length is 18.5". This H&R 410 was purchase at a pawn shop in the early 90's for about $35.00. My son out grew it, but I never did. I also cut the stock from semi pistol grip to straight and added front and back sights and a barrel band w/swivel.  How are ya'll measuring the barrel length on your crack barrel guns. Are you measuring the total length including the the chambered end? My measurement was from the end of the barrel to the taper just before the chamber. Again 18.5"

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 03:16:01 AM »
Most barrels are measured their entire length, chamber and all.

Offline TxGun

• Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 09:26:26 AM »
Most barrels are measured their entire length, chamber and all.

Yep, from the breech face is the standard measurement. (That's how ATF would measure it.) So that adds about, what?  3 1/2" to your bbl. length, Fistmil? Puts your's at around 22"? You're still pretty close to "shorty" territory, IMO.

Offline centralclb

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 11:19:30 AM »
Not actually a shorty, but shortened buy removing the choked end. The over all length is 36" and the barrel length is 18.5". This H&R 410 was purchase at a pawn shop in the early 90's for about $35.00. My son out grew it, but I never did. I also cut the stock from semi pistol grip to straight and added front and back sights and a barrel band w/swivel.  How are ya'll measuring the barrel length on your crack barrel guns. Are you measuring the total length including the the chambered end? My measurement was from the end of the barrel to the taper just before the chamber. Again 18.5"

As other have said, barrel length is from the end to the breech face...so youre looking at ~22"

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 11:56:11 AM »
not a  H&R  but  9 inch  makes it a shorty

O/U      note the removable stock

the black stuff  is bicycle inner tubes for grip
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline upnut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 05:10:33 PM »
Here's a pic of my .410 Marlin 200, built by H&R for Marlin and marketed thru K-Mart in the 80's. The barrel has been shortened to 22 inches to make it cylinder bore, scope rail attached with a Swift 1x20 wide angle shotgun scope on Weaver rings, Choate stock and forearm. It is very accurate with Remington Sluggers, I'm going to say out to 65 yards....since the last two woodchucks I shot at 65 and 67 yards respectively. Ho-Hum distances with a rifle...flippin' cool with a .410.... 8)

I'm having a blast with this one!
Scott B.