Author Topic: 30-30 Barrel band swivel and schnabel fore-end?  (Read 491 times)

Offline noyb72

• Trade Count: (0)
30-30 Barrel band swivel and schnabel fore-end?
« on: June 10, 2013, 08:00:56 PM »
I have a line on an SB-2 30-30 with a barrel band swivel and a schnabel fore end. I am not familiar with this particular configuration and am wondering if it might have been a limited run for a distributer?

The rifle is all but brand new, I'm thinking I'll get it but I'd like to know what I'm dealing with for when it comes horse trading time.

Thanks
Ron

Offline craigster

Re: 30-30 Barrel band swivel and schnabel fore-end?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:15:39 AM »
Possible, but more likely a "custom".

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:28:16 AM »
The schnabel type fore end is what older H&R rifles came with.   You can usually find a set on the classifieds.  As far as the barrel band is concerned.  You can probably buy one through one of the mail order houses that specialize in gun parts or accessories.  I would figure out what the gun is worth to you, minus the "custom" configurations.  Probably around $230 for the 30-30 new.  Check around for the best price, and you can "customize" it yourself, or buy one thru the GBO classifieds.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 01:08:25 PM »
As said, scnable forends were standard on 90's NEF/H&R firearms, both rifles and shotguns I have several of em, Buffalo Classics and Target models have em too, but they're walnut.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »
I really like barrel band swivels

it allows you to mount your sling on your off side for a much more comfortable "Across the back" carry.

the Germans had it right with their mauser stocks.

the most useless place to put sling swivels is on the bottom of the butt, and forearm.

My Ruger1 is about impossible to carry across the back or the front. the lever will draw blood!

Handis are more comfortable, but would still be far better carried flat!
Same with Lever Guns