Author Topic: Is this even possible?  (Read 1185 times)

Offline RickW936

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Is this even possible?
« on: May 30, 2013, 06:42:28 PM »
I have a reciever being fitted with a 20 ga. slug, 357mag, and 44 mag barrels. Today I met with a local gun smith to possibly have him d&t the rifle barrels and fit front sights, and fit a peep to the reciever to be used with all 3 barrels. He stated with absolute certainty that if I would let him have all 3 barrels and reciever, He could install the peep and front sights and fit them so that each barrel would print to point of aim at 100yds without any adjustments at all required when swapping barrels. as long as I used the same ammo for which each barrel was sighted in for. Seems kinda fishy to me! what do you fellas say? I told him I plan to ream both the 357 and 44 chambers asap to maxi and super mag, He saids "no problem, ream 'em and bring me the loads and barrels, and I can regulate the sights".....I don't know...is that a real possibility?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Is this even possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:06:09 PM »
Because the sights are all mounted to the individual barrels it should work out just fine.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline HWB13

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 02:11:21 AM »
I would agree with Larry.  The only question is which slug barrel you ordered.  I think the ultra slug barrel(F920) would be fine the standard rifled barrel (FB024) might be a question. Either way it would be with the use of good sabots.  I like Hornady, but there are other good one out there.  Sounds like a fun project, would like to see pics and targets when you get it done.
Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 04:18:41 AM »
If I understand your question right, each of the barrels will have its own sights whjich will remain with the barrel (not moved from barrel to barrel)... If so, there will only be minor shifting in the POI when changing barrels. There are other things that you can do to assist with consistent POI's... Having a dedicated, bedded forearm for each barrel can help a lot, as can using a bedded forearm pillar or pre-tensioned forearm screw... We have been very successful ay retaining POI on swapped barrels, but even so, I ALWAYS check POI before hunting with a recently swapped barrel...
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline spruce

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 04:26:02 AM »
If I understand correctly your plan is to mount a peep sight to the RECEIVER?  Yes, I don't see why it can't be done - I'm sure his idea is to simply use the appropriate height front sight and adjust the windage via a dovetail ramp to achieve zero with each barrel.

Another option would be to mount a peep sight on each BARREL.  Something like a Williams Guide sight or a Skinner peep.  This arrangement would be much easier to adjust if you ever changed your loads!

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 05:12:35 AM »
Assuming the peep sight is installed on the frame and he regulates the front sight on each barrel as needed, it should work.  However, there still are the possible variations that come whenever barrels are changed.  If my eyes were still good enough to use a peep, and I swapped barrels,  I'd do the same thing.  However, I prefer a completely set up rifle with its own frame, barrel, stock and sights.  When I grab it I know it's gonna work.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 10:24:56 AM »
The rifle barrels will come D/T'ed for the scope rail, which will also take the Williams peep, so no extra D/T charge which would offset the cost of the peeps for each by a bunch. He would still need to D/T the shotgun barrel and do front sights on each which is mostly where getting the -0-'s comes in.
Remember, any barrel can be -0-'ed to a given load, just because you have a swap barrel setup doesnt negate that.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline HWB13

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 12:31:19 PM »
OK we have not herd from Rick yet.  The  first time I read the post I was thinking one rear sight, then from Larry's post I thought individual rear sights.  I guess I would want to hear from Rick to figure out the rest of the story. We just have to let Paul Harvey weigh in. ;)
Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 01:27:08 PM »
Well, a break action rifle with sights mounted on both the frame and barrel is a bad idea no matter what gun it is.  There are too many things that can change from shot to shot, these guns have problems even with sights and scopes mounted only on the barrel.  If you are talking about mounting a receiver peep then run from that plan.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »
I agree with Larry any sight mounted on the receiver is asking for trouble
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline RickW936

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 03:37:59 PM »
Okay guys, originally I was thinking a reciever mt'ed peep. But after reading your input and a bit more thought, I do believe each barrel will have its own peep. Oh yeah, the 24" slug is suposed to be d&t for scope mt as well, so that sounds like my best bet. Also, I think a fitted forend for each is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestions. Now if Rem, will get it in gear and get 'em headed my way I'd be happy, happy, happy!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 05:29:26 PM »
I would agree that the barrel needs to have a set of sights on each.
If you want to mount a Fixed Peep sight on the reciever and only mount a Front sight, that front sight would have to be adjustable to sight in for each barrel to keep a fixed peep sight.  My guess is that it will be cheaper to have a standard adjustable rear sight and a fixed front than finding 3 fully adjustable front sights.

Offline RickW936

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
Yeah, it makes sense once I took time to think it through! Sometimes I get all fired up and get in to big of a hurry! My dang lookers just aren't up to open irons like they once were, but I can do pretty well with the peeps out to a 100 or so. Minute of pig anyway. I have a Williams on my 1895 Marlin and on a old mossberg .22 of my Dads so I'm familar with them and My first thought was to put one on the H&R and just swap the barrels around. Now I am lookin into different sights for each such as the Skinner type. Have no idea what I will end up doing but thats part of the attraction for me! Thanks for all the comments guys!

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 05:28:20 AM »
The Skinner and NODAK are certainly fine sights, but for your many barrel purpose it would be hard to fault the much less expensive basic Williams on each. I would be very tempted to use the green 'fire-sight' fronts and have no sighting issues to accommodate from barrel to barrel.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 07:16:50 AM »
What the gunsmith is saying will work, but it limits the possability of ever changing anything about the gun or ammo used  Everything has to remain the same.  Say you are shooting a load with 748 as the propellent, and then you can't find 748.  You switch to IMR 4350.  Now everything is thrown out of whack with that barrel.  But if you never change anything, powder, cases, or bullets, yes the gunsmith is right.  He can set everything up to do just as he says.

Basically what he will do is adjust the front site, instead of the rear site.  He will set up the rear site, then adjust the front sites to match the ammo and rear site.  Once that is done it will shoot the same with all three barrels.  In the event you change something the front site will be the one needing to be adjusted.  Not the rear site.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline RickW936

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 04:49:30 PM »
Gcrank, that is exactly what I was looking at eariler tonight! I do like the Novak and Skinner but I think for the money, its gonna be the Williams basic for starters. Don't know anything about the firesite fronts thou. I've always been partial to a post with a brass "face" if you will. Don't like the beads up front with a peep, always shoot off to which every side the light is brightest on! But that may just be me. Anyway I'm enjoying my new barrels and I ain't even seen 'em yet, Haha!
Sourdough, yes Sir, thats the very thing the 'smith told me when I discussed it with him in more detail. I kinda like having a couple different loads for which ever gun I might be toting at the time. He explained to me that each barrel would be more or less "load specific" in order for the reciever sight to work as we first discussed. I kinda settle on a load I like, then experiment with everything I can find til somethin better proves out.                   Thanks,    Rick

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 04:32:58 AM »
Remember that the rear peeps are somewhat adjustable to fine tune in or accommodate some variation in loads. You need to choose a distance to zero the sight choices in as well as load, so lets say you went with your 357 -0-'ed at 50 or 75yd. with a full snot load and have the rear adjusted up at about 1/3 to 1/2 of the scale you will be able to make other loads and do some adjustment.
Your 44 you may want a different -0-, same with the 20ga., so establish your parameters and bounce 'em off us for questions, comments or corrections and you will avoid the big mistakes so often made.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline RickW936

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 05:46:52 PM »
gcrank, good imput! Thanks...The plan is to ream to maxi and super mag asap, when barrels and reamers arrive. As soon as thats done, load devalopment will get underway. probally will be fooling with the 20 first as Iand I've accumulated serveral boxs each of 5 differnt brand of slugs, mostly foster type, but a few sabots too. The 20 will be -0- to put slug on top of front sight @ 75 or so I think. The maxi I will be lookin for a full up load with a 180gr or better and will shoot it out to 150-200 on paper @ my backyard range to really leard the tragrty before deciding on best -0-. Also I'm lookin forward to learnin how it'll like my Blackhawk loads, hopefully good enuff to be usefull, also planning on some kinda spitball small game loads. The same idea will apply to the 445, I gotta 4 5/8 Super Blackhawk that needs a long gun buddy. I know I gots lots and lots of fun times ahead with these two, at the range, at the loadin bench, and on this site!, before we ever get to the woods! Shaping up to be another life long pursuit/hobby! Gotta Love it                                           Thanks,   Rick