Author Topic: H&R 223  (Read 822 times)

Offline RobW.

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R 223
« on: June 08, 2013, 04:10:33 PM »
 Can't get it to group.  Tried all the tricks in the FAQs but the gun just won't shoot.  Even sent it back and had a new barrel put on because it came with a 1-12 and they put on a 1-9 twist.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
Re: H&R 223
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »
Are you using one load or have you tried multiple loads... Factory fodder or reloading? What have you done to the stock gun???
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline HWB13

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 01:58:44 AM »
 As Hoytcanon said, we need much more info than provided.  You go to the doctor and tell him it hurts when I do this and he says don’t do that.  Get out of your diagnoses what you put in. Ammo tested, any and all modifications to the rifle, scope type and mountings, shooting off the bench in a vise, bags, or bipod.  Even range conditions and distances.  All go into a proper diagnoses, if we could go to the range that would be ideal. So Rob fill in the blanks and you will get more help from the members here than you will know what to do with.

Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

Offline RobW.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 07:09:19 AM »
Shooting factory rem 55 gr soft points or 55 gr mc's.  Both shoot about the same for me and there's really nothing else available to me.  I don't want to reload for it, can't find primers or powder anyway.  I've shimmed the forend to clear the barrel completely and now I started shooting it most times with the forend removed.  I have a lead sled that I sometimes use but best shooting comes from bags.  I'm shooting on a 100 yd. police outdoor range with burms built all the way around it so wind is not a factor at all.   I'm sure that a trigger job would help, but I'm not willing to try it and too cheap to have it done. 

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 08:57:43 AM »
You are really limiting the accuracy advice available... You say you "shimmed" the forend; how did you do that? Also shooting without the forearm can sometimes be a problem unto itself... If you are resting the barrel on bags or sled arm then you are applying pressure and shifting changes to the harmonics... You would be better off pillar bedding the forarm and shooting with it on. My first advice is to double and triple check your scope rail/rings and scope to takw them out of the equation, nine times out of ten your problems will end there. Since you don't reload, I would recommend that your next step be to try the Winny White Box ammo, it should be available in your area and it shoots very well in all of our Handi .223 1:9's (it does in the 1:12's also). The DIY trigger job is not a very difficult thing to do either, don't be afraid to try it... There are step-by-step video's on YouTube to keep you on track. That's about all I've got to offer with the info available. 
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Singlebarrel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 09:33:53 AM »
My 223 barrel is a good shooter out of the box.  Check your rifling and your crown. If you do not feel comfortable in checking it out find someone who knows what they are doing.  I have had a lot of experience with bad barrels. 

Offline otter5555

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 12:16:09 PM »
Can't get it to group.  Tried all the tricks in the FAQs but the gun just won't shoot.  Even sent it back and had a new barrel put on because it came with a 1-12 and they put on a 1-9 twist.

my 223 handi has the 1:9

it shoots 1 minute or less with everything i throw at it (55 gr or heavier)
it will not shoot lighter bullets
BUT, out of the box the trigger was 6 pounds on a digital scale

i installed the ez trigger assist and now it is 28 oz

no other mods, tricks, etc

it even shoots my 62 gr cast reduced load 1 minute

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 01:15:34 PM »
Put an O-ring under the forearm.  Check your scope mounting.  Then shoot off bags with the bags under the pivot point of the gun.  Don't shoot off the sled, too much pressure on the front of the forearm.  I shoot off snowmachine seats, 4-wheeler seats, shooting sticks, or tree limbs, but I always make sure the rest is on the pivot point, not the forearm.  I bust a 4" clay target at 500 yards every shot. 

I use the Federal Factory duplication load.  55gr Nosler Ballistic tip, or Speer Soft Point.  In front of 26gr of Winchester 748.  Winchester SR primers, and Winchester brass.  In fact I use this same load in all my .223s, with good results.  At 100 yards I shoot clover leafs with my H&R Ultra, T/C Contender Pistol, and Carbine.       
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Guy Pike

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 01:45:15 PM »
Put a price on it, I might take it!
You can't beat a Cerberus!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 02:51:47 PM »
It doesnt hurt to visually check a new to you barrel for any 'odd looking thing' inside first to rule that out.
Then, do you know that scope is OK? By that I dont mean was it OK the last rifle it was on, but is it OK now.....put it on something else you know is a good shooter and prove that scope.
While it is off, take off the factory scope rail and check all the screws for being 'not too long' and that each will tighten the rail down (dont just check that the screws are tight, take the rail off and check each screw one at a time in its hole. Once thats verified, cinch it all down and start the rings check. If you are unfamiliar with it, ask here or check it out online for some tips.
Without the above done first you are spittin' into the wind.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974