Author Topic: Using nickel cases...  (Read 538 times)

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Using nickel cases...
« on: June 06, 2013, 04:38:54 AM »
I bought several hundred .357 mag nickel plated brass and only on the first loading but like the change from the usuall yellow, was thinking about nickel cases in my .308win, how many loadings do you think is average on neck sized only bottle neck nickel cases?  Do you anneal nickel cases the same as brass?

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Using nickel cases...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 06:19:59 PM »
Depends a lot on hot you load them.  If you are using factory equivalent loads or so you should get four to six loadings. As for annealing,  the bottle neck case will probably fail from other signs before this becomes necessary.  The failure will most likely be loose primer pockets if you use full power house loads and are following all other loading procedures accordingly.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 03:21:25 AM »
I use a lot of nickel rifle cases and they seem to last just as long as regular brass ones do. I have seen no difference between the cases as far as accuracy and any wear to a rifle or loading dies. I have used them for many years. I wish I could find some nickle Winchester 7mm Rem mag cases to make me some 264 Win mag cases out of.  ;)

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 10:27:04 PM »
The problem I had with nickel plated brass was when I trimmed some with a Redding trimmer.  The cutter head was promptly dulled to the point of being unusable for trimming .308 caliber cases.  I now use trim dies for trimming nickel plated brass.

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »
I've used them for the 357, 30-30, and the 7-30 Waters...

I really never counted the times they were reloaded, but it would have been similar to the brass-colored ones...

But, as you resize them, they will turn brass colored anyhow...

The nickel wears off rather quickly most of the time...

Good-luck...

BCB