Author Topic: Sheridan Blue STREAK & returned 'Dan rebuild  (Read 10242 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Sheridan Blue STREAK rebuild
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2013, 01:21:41 PM »
Looks like a stock refinish and a Williams sight upgrade is in order along with a reseal. Looks good!

Your reading my mind brother!! ;).

I have the peep on my bench, I'm pulling to stock later tonight and then going to be ordering parts just as soon as I know what I'll need!! ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2013, 05:44:26 AM »
I started pulling the action apart. I had to make a couple tools first.

1) Bolt nut removal tool. Made from a 1'' (Longer is fine) 1/4/20 set screw and two nuts threaded on the setscrew and jammed together. Then grind the threads down near the end so it fits in the hole where the bolt is.

2) I made a Valve nut tool form a cheap 1/4'' nut driver extension. First drill the 1/4'' hex with a 9/32'' bit. Then using a grinder grind flats to from a square. Be sure to leave the corners rounded. Not allot needs to be removed to make the flats.

3) The tool to remove the internals of the valve. Now this one I may have wrong... I drilled and tapped a piece of 1/2'' round stock 12'' long. Using a 1/4-28 tap. Then drilled a 1/4'' hole thru the other end for extra leverage.

I got all but the internals of the valve apart.

I need some clarification on the 1/4-28 tapped hole... My tool will not thread on.  :-[

SO, I moved on the mounting the Williams Peep site I picked up off Ebay.

I ordered the Valve tool from B&A airguns and the valve and seal parts from Timmy over at MAC1 Airguns in California.

The tool is under accessories and scroll down to Benjamin / Sheridan

The seals and parts form Mac1. http://www.mac1airgunshop.com/rebuild-parts-s/1826.htm?searching=Y&sort=2&cat=1826&show=10&page=2

More when I get parts or figure out what I am doing wrong with my valve tool threads...  ::) :o ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2013, 05:45:30 AM »
Today between jobs I was able to drill some 5/16 hard wood dowels and I plugged the butt plate screw holes I previously made.

Then I squared and trimmed the stock for the pad.

Then carefully measured and mounted the used Marlin pad. I had to be careful as it was real close to the same size as the Sheridan wood. I had to be sure it was overhanging all around or it would not come out right.

Then I completely sanded the stocks. I started with a orbital and 80g paper. Then all by hand, to 100g, then 150 then 220 and over to steel wool finishing with 0000 grade. Each time I whipped the wood with a damp cloth to raise the grain. (Whisker the wood)

This is right after the 100g

I was able to get two coats of TRU-Oil on today. The first just sucked right in and was dry to the touch in less than a hour. But I let it sit for about 4 hours before applying second coat before I left tonight.

This is a kinda crappy pic of one coat.

The wood really is a deep and rich brown color that I really like in Walnut. Usually I do at least 6 coats with steel wool between each. So for the next couple days I should get two coats a day with 12 hrs dry time between each.

Stay tuned... ::) ;D ;D ;D

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Mxpe78a

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2013, 01:22:06 PM »
Really nice patina on the brass are you going to leave it like that? I like it like that. Should be real nice when done.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »
Really nice patina on the brass are you going to leave it like that? I like it like that. Should be real nice when done.

Yes, I'm only going to finish the wood and internals! ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Mxpe78a

• Avid Poster
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2013, 12:39:25 PM »

Yes, I'm only going to finish the wood and internals! ;)

CW

Good, I love it. Looking forward to the complete package.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2013, 11:13:08 AM »
Here is BOTH sets of Sheridan wood.
  I am very pleased with these! Sam's set is the lighter colored wood, its on top in the first two pics and on the left in the last. The set from my origional gun is the one I just finished. I fit a Marlin pad to each of them. New brass screws hold the trigger guards replacing factory rivets on both as well.  ;)

Now I'm just waiting for the repair parts and tools.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Mxpe78a

• Avid Poster
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »
CW you have created heirlooms, these were considered as just lowly airguns...I would say they exceed in quality what many firearms exhibit today. I use my airguns more often now that most of my firearms. Love what you've done.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
Re: Sheridan Blue STREAK & returned 'Dan rebuild
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2013, 05:21:09 PM »
CW!
Looks like a couple of great Sheridans are about to make their grand appearance!
 Great job on those stocks, Looking forward to see how these two look and shoot!!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2013, 03:19:04 PM »
CW you have created heirlooms, these were considered as just lowly airguns...I would say they exceed in quality what many firearms exhibit today. I use my airguns more often now that most of my firearms. Love what you've done.

CW!
Looks like a couple of great Sheridans are about to make their grand appearance!
 Great job on those stocks, Looking forward to see how these two look and shoot!!

Thanks so much guys!!!

Today the valve tool came in... five minutes later I had it apart! ::)

I found a piece of debris under the check valve seat and a broken O ring under the cap.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2013, 02:26:15 AM »
Did you order a new lead seal?
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2013, 06:32:42 AM »
Did you order a new lead seal?

I contacted Tim at MAC 1 and asked for everything I would need for the rebuild. I do NOT see a new lead seal, no. BUT mine is in perfect shape and so I will reuse it.  :-\ :-\ :-\

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2013, 11:08:40 PM »
 Be careful while installing it.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2013, 08:07:07 AM »
Yesterday I spent about five hours... YES FIVE HOURS. Assembling this thing...

I DO NOT recomend it unless you have experience, lots of time proper tools GOOD LIGHT and PATIENCE. I am pretty good with all but the last one... Its very likely the most important part.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Its back together, but leaks a bit as I pump. It will shoot and hole air pretty well. After about 6 pumps it dosen't leak anylonger I KNOW its the check valve or its spring... but all the troubles I had getting it together... its gonna stay that way!  :o :o :o

I should get my 1965 Sheridan back by the end of the month. Once I do I will probably just send this one out to Timmy for some love and affection.

Im not gonna attempt it again. I can do the Crosman's easy as pie... but that valve soldered in 10-12'' down the pump tube... nope I know my limitations.  ;) ;D ;D I must have dropped those pieces into that valve two dozen times... They fought me every inch.

Good news is I can shoot it and enjoy it. It was good to shoot the old girl again yesterday. I shot about 1/2 a tin of pellets. I will shoot over the crony later if I have time.

Thanks for all the help and tips!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »
Its back together, but leaks a bit as I pump. It will shoot and hole air pretty well. After about 6 pumps it dosen't leak anylonger I KNOW its the check valve or its spring... but all the troubles I had getting it together... its gonna stay that way!  :o :o :o

I should get my 1965 Sheridan back by the end of the month. Once I do I will probably just send this one out to Timmy for some love and affection.

Did you by chance put in a stronger than original hammer spring, stretch the original spring longer, or add a spacer to the end of it? If so, the hammer spring may be overcoming the check valve spring, causing your leakage.

Regardless, you can sometimes work around the problem by cocking the gun and engaging the safety before you start pumping. This removes the hammer from the check valve stem, allowing the seal to (hopefully) seat.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2013, 01:53:51 AM »

Did you by chance put in a stronger than original hammer spring, stretch the original spring longer, or add a spacer to the end of it? If so, the hammer spring may be overcoming the check valve spring, causing your leakage.

Regardless, you can sometimes work around the problem by cocking the gun and engaging the safety before you start pumping. This removes the hammer from the check valve stem, allowing the seal to (hopefully) seat.

No changes what so ever. Sans the MAC1 supplied nylon valve to replace brass/rubber stock piece.

I did try cocking first, doesn't seem to make any difference.  :-[

I also had a extra part!!  :o :o :o Any ideas? This did not come out of my rifle, but came in the parts bag from Tim.

Its approx 1/4'' around, about 1/4+'' tall and metal.  I haven't a clue...  :o ::) ::)

Personally, The very front spring, was not great, I used it anyhow. Also after dropping that nylon part in it never came out again... it wouldn't OR better described, I could not get it out...  :-[

I Posted this up over on GTA forums where Timmy has a home base. He has commented earlier before I made this rebuild. Hopefully he will post up.

Its not all bad, as I said, I can shoot it and it seems to have good power. If the rain lets up I'll set up the crony and shoot to see. Some reason I cannot get it to work in the house. I have tried extra lights, screens, no screens makes no difference. refuses to work in the house. But works perfect outside...  ??? ??? ???

Thanks for the help and tips brother!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2013, 02:10:58 AM »
 I think it's the rivet that attaches the link to the pump arm.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2013, 02:46:24 AM »
I think it's the rivet that attaches the link to the pump arm.

There was two other pins in the kit. One a split pin, (Roll pin) like used factory and the other short solid pin like the pin in the pump tube/cup arm/link. I used the new pin and the split (roll) pin at the hinge point for the pump tube.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »
I'm still waitig on the call from Bill...  ::) ::)   I was at a airgun show last weekend and spoke with a couple guys who said to be prepaired for a wait... Seems he says MINIMUM of 8-10 weeks but three months minimum is not out of the question... :o :o

No big deal really, I have been shooting the rebuilt 'dan and enjoying it. Its still leaking but I am able to shoot it just fine.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2013, 04:03:39 PM »
I am waiting with you Brian!! :)
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2019, 05:29:59 AM »
Let's bring this one back up and see if folks might want to talk more about it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2021, 07:57:49 AM »
Im contemplating a Silver. Need to get more trigger time. Need to make sure she shoots.

NRA LIFE Member